Worst storm in 26 years Monday 28 October - updated 17:08

Louisa Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> So a bit of wind and rain the odd tree comes down

> etc etc... I do often have to bite my tongue when

> it comes to British weather stories. We even have

> a local councillor offering live updates on the

> situation. I guess it's good preparation for the

> half inch of snow we may see in January.

>

> Louisa.

I'm guessing the families of the three people who have been killed in this storm wouldn't dismiss its severity quite so lightly.

I agree it's better to be safe than sorry. But post 87 we seem to have taken precaution to an elevated extreme. We live with the effects of the jet stream on a daily basis, our climate is dictated by its force. October is usually one of the most potent months for its full force with system after system attacking us from the west. I understand why infrastructure needs to be cautious, but does it really mean we need to come to a standstill? We can't use the argument, as we do with the snow, that our country isn't prepared for it, because we are an Atlantic facing country which has always dealt with storms of this and a similar nature.

Louisa.

Just made it into the city. If anyone's thinking of getting on the buses...

The 40 was get-onable all the way from the Library to the LL Post Office, but all other buses went straight through. Buses then emptied and refilled again at Denmark Hill and Elephant & Castle, so if you want a 176 or 185 my tip would be to hop onto a 40 and then change at one of those.

Roads weren't too busy, it took about 40 mins to Monument from Lordship Lane.

Good luck.

> but does it really mean we need to come to a standstill?

Have we? Trains can't run on obstructed lines, of which there have been dozens across the country, nor traffic on blocked roads, but apart from that, things are happening.

> We can't use the argument, as we do with the snow, that our country isn't prepared for it

I don't think anyone is using that argument. Let's see how many of the blockages remain this afternoon or evening. I see the ED rail service is coming back into service now.

> but does it really mean we need to come to a standstill?

Have we? Trains can't run on obstructed lines, of which there have been dozens across the country, nor traffic on blocked roads, but apart from that, things are happening.

> We can't use the argument, as we do with the snow, that our country isn't prepared for it

I don't think anyone is using that argument. Let's see how many of the blockages remain this afternoon or evening. I see the ED rail service, at least the West Croydon branch, is getting back into operation now. http://www.southernrailway.com/your-journey/plan-your-journey/live-running-information/EDW/departures/

The timing of the highest wind speeds meant checking lines and clearing fallen trees could only take place durin the rushhours.

Can't imagine anyone would favour risks of derailments over checking lines for trees when we know many will have fallen down.

I think it's a credit to London that a 1 in 25 year event occuring during the rush hour will cause disruption mostly until lunch time but essential activities are all going ahead.

So do we prepare by felling trees that are within falling

distance of a line ?

Doesn't seem right for a once in 30 years !! If it happened

every year however.

ianr Wrote:

> > but does it really mean we need to come to a

> standstill?

>

> Have we? Trains can't run on obstructed lines, of

> which there have been dozens across the country,

> nor traffic on blocked roads, but apart from that,

> things are happening.

>

> > We can't use the argument, as we do with the

> snow, that our country isn't prepared for it

>

> I don't think anyone is using that argument.

> Let's see how many of the blockages remain this

> afternoon or evening. I see the ED rail service

> is getting back into operation now.

> http://www.southernrailway.com/your-journey/plan-y

> our-journey/live-running-information/EDW/departure

> s/

Southern have announced their temporary timetable for today.

EAST DULWICH/PECKHAM RYE: 2 trains per hour to and from West Croydon. Beckenham Junction trains are cancelled.

FOREST HILL/HONOR OAK PARK: 1 train per hour to Caterham (East Croydon). Outer South London line services to Victoria are cancelled. Northbound services to London Bridge are not operating due to a fallen tree between Forest Hill & Sydenham.

London Overground services continue to start from New Cross Gate/New Cross with no services to Denmark Hill, Peckham Rye, Forest Hill and Honor Oak Park.

Be aware that it is still chaos on the trains, and no one seems to know what is going on. I just wasted an hour at London Bridge, as the 14.25 to Beckenham was on the board as on time, but just disappeared. Then the14.40 platform was announced, so we all piled on. Sat there till 3pm with no announcement as to what was happening. I got off he train to find out, but none of the dozen or so men in uniform on the concourse had any idea apart from that they were "waiting for a driver"! And no one seemed interested in finding out. I understand that rolling stock and staff are not going to be in the right places, but for goodness sakes let us know what is going on, and don't announce trains that don't have drivers!

antantant Wrote:

> No trains from Victoria to Peckham Rye / Nunhead

> today.

>

> Also I see on Twitter the protected willow tree in

> Nunhead has come down. I hope they don't use it a

> justification to extend the proposed development

> opposite Nunhead green.

Oh no! What a pity - lovely tree. I suspect your fears about the proposed development will be correct.

You get the suspicion the children are off and rail cancellations are always worse then.

Work is full of singletons.:)

antantant Wrote:

> No trains from Victoria to Peckham Rye / Nunhead

> today.

>

> Also I see on Twitter the protected willow tree in

> Nunhead has come down. I hope they don't use it a

> justification to extend the proposed development

> opposite Nunhead green.

Considering that the meteorologists were able to predict this storm on the basis of some minor chinks in some isobars off Florida, that had not even grown to being a storm yet, I think it is pretty astounding how they not only predicted what would happen but where it would happen. The technology has improved but more importantly the skills of the meteorologists to make sense of what they are seeing. Hoorah!

muffins78 Wrote:

> Got on the 40 at Aldgate and there are seats etc.

> so hopefully things won't be too bad for everyone

> getting home.

Given the 40 starts at Aldgate, I would expect there to be seats.

Secondly, most of us cant leave before 5pm. Lucky for those who work part time.