Memorial on Sydenham Hill

Every time I pass by I always wonder about the family and how much grief they must be going through to build such a memorial here. It's quite common these days to see these types of reminders, but they're not often as elaborate or as long lasting as this one. The reason I snapped a pic was because I noticed that marble chips/gravel had been recently laid with a black marble headstone on top and a picture of a young boy and older man. Father and son? It seems to be becoming more of a permanent feature now.

I also wonder what the council and local residents think. The day will surely come when the council will say enough. Is this the right thing to do? A tough decision as I'm sure they'd originally thought it would just fade away and didn't want to intrude on the families mourning.

It's a tacky piece of cr@p on someone else's land. Why does the council (and everyone else) tip toe round that just because it's to do with a death? Death is a part of life and we all have to deal with it. Love is a part of life but if I built a shrine to Myleene Klass on the road outside my house the council would have it away before you could say 'marks and spencer'. Mine would be tasteful and easier on the eye too.

I believe that the victim of the road accident is called Mr Malony. I think he was part of the travelling community. Although I agree that it's a bit creepy having such a shrine it isn't on the other hand that distracting and doesn't exactly extend into the road and is quite well kept. Not really that much different from relatives attaching large bunches of flowers to lamposts.

which reminds me of the top tip in viz several years ago, telling local councils how they could save thousands on erecting expensive road signs to warn of accident hotspots, by simply tying a bunch of flowers to the nearest lamp-post. on a more sombre note, while it doesnt appear to be part of the culture in england to erect roadside memorials to accident victims, travel on the continent or ireland for that matter and the roads are dotted with them be it a simple cross,bunch of flowers or a more elaborate set-up, and for those of you chastising them as "tacky", "eyesores", etc, be aware they do represent a life lost, a family destroyed, and for those left behind a place to grieve and remember their lost one.

What's next a book of condolence?

Although these makeshift shrines marks the place of death could the life not be remembered or the grieving take place equally well in the cemetery, graveyard or other final resting place?

What is worse than the well kept shrine is the neglected one, like the wilted flowers and dirty school ties that have been round the lamp post on the junction of East Dulwich Road and Peckham Rye for a year now. Depressing to pass.