Card cloning warning

Ho hum - just had the dreaded call from Barclays - my card has just been used in Canada too. Wouldn't be so bad, but my husband was called by his bank, HSBC, last night, to say his had been used in India. And of course we both happen to be completely out of cash and both our local banks are closed tomorrow... I mentioned to the Barclays fraud protection woman that there seems to be a lot of fraud round our way recently, and she sighed and said, 'There's a lot of fraud everywhereat the moment, Madam.' So may not just be here - maybe we're just more aware of it because of the postings on this forum. Anyway, am now completely paranoid that someone's been going through our rubbish, seeing as both my husband and my cards were both cloned at the same time. Oh, and I was always very smug about how careful I am to cover the PIN number with my hand when dinging it in, but now not convinced it makes the blindest bit of difference. Oh well, one for experience.

Had my credit card cloned in April, wasn't sure whether this was the well known 24 hour shop or the well known supermarket.

Suspected the 24 hour shop at the time and accordingly have not used replacement card since at said establishment. However, had a call from card provider today saying somebody had tried to withdraw ?200 in cash. Therefore by process of elimination it must be well known supermarket.

I am going to the police station tomorrow.

danrees Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Had my credit card cloned in April, wasn't sure

> whether this was the well known 24 hour shop or

> the well known supermarket.

>

> Suspected the 24 hour shop at the time and

> accordingly have not used replacement card since

> at said establishment. However, had a call from

> card provider today saying somebody had tried to

> withdraw ?200 in cash. Therefore by process of

> elimination it must be well known supermarket.

>

> I am going to the police station tomorrow.

The supermarket beginning with So or Sa??

Wino Wrote:

> Obviously this whole cloning thing is a right

> royal pain in the arse, but I don't know how

> reliant we can be in trying to 'trace' where it

> happened.

>

> I have no knowledge of the technical side of

> cloning, but surely, once it has happened there is

> no necessity to immediately use/sell on the info

> apart from greed?

My understanding is that the details are normally uploaded (within a very short period) to sites where people trade in credit card and other details. Purchasers buy in bulk batches on the basis that a number of the details won't work. I'm very confident I know where my card was cloned (only attempted, they got my pin wrong) as the card was almost brand new. Also, I remember thinking at the time it was odd that the attendant took my card out and flipped it over once I'd done the chip and pin. I thought he was checking the signature, but I now believe it's much more likely he was trying to memorise the CVV number on the back. Certainly the last attempted transaction used the CVV number but got other personal details wrong, so the transaction was rejected.

That said, I agree with you - we can't know for sure which shops are affected, but there is certainly a trend which people can usefully be aware of. I am now totally paranoid about entering my pin anywhere, much to the amusement of others around me!

Well i conducted an experiment today, I used both sainsburys and Barclays for cash withdrawals, so via process of elimination im going to try and figure it whos blooming doing it, as a precautionary method im going to transfer spends to a savings account and withdraw from that, they cant clone a savings card can they!!

OK my credit card has been cloned and someone's got my pin .. Capital called to tell me that someone's taken ?200 then tried for another ?100 ... I've used Somerfield (closest date to the cloning), Tesco Petrol (nr Horniman) and Sainsbury's (But 2 week ago)

Told partner who checked statements and Virgin have allowed ?1,000 cash withdrawals on credit card - we think that has to be Sainsbury's

We never use credit cards to withdraw cash and are shocked that Virgin software didn't pick up 4 different cash transactions

Virgin have just called me and, as well as Mrs Kford's card cloned and used in the Philippines, I now have had my card copied and used in Senegal and Ghana. Without being prompted, they said it might be 'a local Texaco petrol station', which I used a few days ago. Other than that, my transactions have been in town or at places like Soup Dragon.

My flat mate has just come home and said his HSBC card has been used in India....

sorry a naive Aussie here but how the hell can the petrol stations, the super markets and the like be allowed to get away with this cloning? Or employing people who do it.

I'm still unsure how it is actually done.

I'm shi tting myself as I'm getting my first pay in the UK next week and will be using a UK bank card...

HSBC rang on Thurs 7th to say my card had been cloned. On Fri 8th they rang again to say Mrs Vince's card on the same joint account had also been cloned. Yes, the shop we have most in common is a well known supermarket on LL. But here's the interesting thing; tonight (Fri) a guy in an LL restaurant told me that another restaurant in LL had (in last year) someone in the street outside using a gadget to wirelessly tap into the hand held card readers and cream off the card and pin numbers as the transactions took place. Maybe this is how someone is collecting data from, lets say, a well known LL supermarket. Any thoughts?

Had my phonecall this morning from Natwest. My card has been cloned and used in the US. I only use cash for the garage, haven't used somerfield for 6 months but I did use Sainsbury's for the first time in a month yesterday. I used the cigarette counter (for a newspaper and cashback) thinking it would be safer than the ATM's outside.

There seems to be a spate of cloning in ED at the moment. Can the administrator do a bit of maths and tell us what % of forum users have reported cloning on this forum in the last couple of weeks. (Only obviously if you have nothing better to do on a Saturday at the height of summer:) )

trinity Wrote:

> Had my phonecall this morning from Natwest. My

> card has been cloned and used in the US. I only

> use cash for the garage, haven't used somerfield

> for 6 months but I did use Sainsbury's for the

> first time in a month yesterday. I used the

> cigarette counter (for a newspaper and cashback)

> thinking it would be safer than the ATM's outside.

>

>

> There seems to be a spate of cloning in ED at the

> moment. Can the administrator do a bit of maths

> and tell us what % of forum users have reported

> cloning on this forum in the last couple of weeks.

> (Only obviously if you have nothing better to do

> on a Saturday at the height of summer:) )

Trinity

What time did you use your card in Sainsbury's and what time was the transaction in the US? Your bank should be able to tell you. Is that shop the only place you used the card in the last 6 months?

Wino Wrote:

> Obviously this whole cloning thing is a right

> royal pain in the arse, but I don't know how

> reliant we can be in trying to 'trace' where it

> happened.

>

> I have no knowledge of the technical side of

> cloning, but surely, once it has happened there is

> no necessity to immediately use/sell on the info

> apart from greed?

>

> If I was running some dodgy machine at a garage I

> would happily store up a few weeks worth of card

> before starting to use the info in an attempt to

> fuzzy the trail back to me.

>

> So when people are saying "I just used my card at

> ...... and it was cloned" it may just be that the

> crim has just started using your info that was

> garnered some ago? I for one use my card at least

> once a day for atms, food, fuel whatever so the

> timing could just be coincidence? This doesn't

> detract from the fact that it must have happened

> at some point but it is possibly less easy to say

> where?

>

> Just a thought.

It's a very reasonable thought and one I do generally agree with. However it appears my other flat mate has been stung. Three people in the same household all stung within the last two days. It suggests that ED is currently being targetted by card fraudsters and without wanting to breed paranoia there is a common thread of where this could be occuring.

Hi Tegid - used Sainsbury's at 10.45 in morning , transaction happened in US at 4am our time.

No I have used my cards in lots of other places (a few on Lordship lane and many online) I just mentioned Sainsburys, somerfield and the garage because they had been highlighted on this thread. Additionally I don't use any cashpoints on Lordship lane which has also been mentioned on the thread.

hassle aside, the banks build this type of scenario into their risk models & allocate a % in their forecasts to write off - retail transactions will not be honoured with a bogus card either, so its the retailer who loses out

its not your money, dont get too worked up about it - this is why banks make Billions of quid profit and charge up to 8x the libor rate for their Credit cards.

so a few city boys have to keep his ?60K company car for another 6 months before upgrading it.Life is tough.

take precautions so you dont have to go through the rigmarole of replacemt, but dont shed a tear for the banks.

ausde13 Wrote:

> My flat mate has just come home and said his HSBC

> card has been used in India....

>

> sorry a naive Aussie here but how the hell can the

> petrol stations, the super markets and the like be

> allowed to get away with this cloning? Or

> employing people who do it.

>

> I'm still unsure how it is actually done.

>

> I'm shi tting myself as I'm getting my first pay

> in the UK next week and will be using a UK bank

> card...

Ive posted on this before, but the vast majority of people dont know their syetems have been compromised. Criminal groups use overseas contacts to get the funds, often by coercion & threats in th case of the Tamil Tigers Eelam or the Balkans diasapora.

I have also joint the growing list of forumites who have had a card "compromised" (If there are this many on here, How many to add who never use the forum?) I very rarely use my card apart from paying in at a Nationwide but surprise, surprise it has only been used twice 16th and 29th July and that was in the above mentioned supermarket in LL. My card was used in Malaysia 7th and 8th July 4 attempts and 2 sucesses, total of ?185.

I'm getting pretty nervous about all this. Just checked last months statement and have used Barclays numerous times, HSBC, Londis and S supermarket on LL. Don't think I stand a chance. Mind you, if they took a look at my balance, they'd probably feel so sorry for me they'd donate some dosh!:-S

Mscrawthew Wrote:

> I have also joint the growing list of forumites

> who have had a card "compromised" (If there are

> this many on here, How many to add who never use

> the forum?) I very rarely use my card apart from

> paying in at a Nationwide but surprise, surprise

> it has only been used twice 16th and 29th July and

> that was in the above mentioned supermarket in LL.

> My card was used in Malaysia 7th and 8th July 4

> attempts and 2 sucesses, total of ?185.

So you are saying your card was cloned BEFORE you used it in the supermarket? Where did you use it before it was cloned?