> More cloning stuff........

>

> I had a brand new ATM card for less than 5 weeks

> before it was cloned. In that time, locally, I

> used Sainsburys, Co-op, both ATM and shop,

> Somerfield (once), Lidl (twice), HSBC ATM,

> Poundstretchers (once), Iceland, Barclays ATM,

> Lloyds Pharmacy, Londis AND the Texaco petrol

> station. I can't remember where Londis is??

Once the Feds have followed-up these dozen or so leads, I imagine an arrest won't be far off.

My bank spotted the fraudulent trasaction but only because the fraudsters had tested the card for a penny first which alerted the bank. They called me and cancelled the transaction immediately. Mine was an internet purchase for only ?50 and I wonder if it was opportunist stealing of details rather than the organised cloning discussed on here, however I had recently used the hsbc atm.

I had to sign a declaration that the transaction was nothing to do with me and that I would be happy to speak to police, without which the bank would put the transactions back on my card.

Tegid

I can recommend First Direct(part of the HSBC group) and possibly a few other on here can as well. First Direct links up with the HSBC Fraud Department and it was them I spoke to when they texted me and called me after spotting an attempted transaction in Germany. They have confirmed that they call/text every number you give them, as well as sending you a message on the internet banking site.

My visa card was blocked yesterday because the bank noticed that whilst I was trying to use it at B&Q in Peckham someone else was trying to get cash out of an ATM in Australia. They concluded that at least one of us was up to no good and stopped the card. Today there was some discussion in the queue in HSBC about card cloning as it seems to be very common. The consensus there seemed to be that the blame lay with card payments processed at Somerfield.

Just called Barclays myself after trying and failing to order gig tickets online, and apparently someone's been merrily drawing my cash out in Canada. Like, great.

I've recently used my card in Somerfield, HSBC ATM, Sainsbury's ATM and Barclays ATM.

Re First Direct, just to say, they spotted the transactions attempted on my debit card today were fraudulent and declined them before they even went through.

And then phoned me.

I have nothing but good things to say about First Direct (though I've still got to wait "5-6 working days" for a new card - but they would have arranged for me to be able to get money out of a bank without the card in the meantime, if I'd needed to).

:)-D

PS though come to think of it they were once somewhat over-vigilant and blocked my card when I'd been the only one using it (ironically, it was at Somerfield that it was declined, much to my embarrassment) - First Direct seemed to think that because I'd used the card in Lickorish it was out of character and couldn't have been me :))

What bothers me is how every bank seems to operate differently. When my partner's First Direct card was cloned she was called very quickly and efficiently. On the other hand a couple of weeks ago I received a letter in the post asking me to call Alliance & Leicester about the security of my card "being compromised". When I called they immediately cancelled my card. If it was that serious why didn't they phone me in the first place rather than rely on snail mail? Furthermore, they explained that it was potentially compromised because it had been used in a place where dubious dealings had gone on, but were unable to tell me which place ? so the following week when i got my replacement I could have just as easily used it in the same place and had to go through the entire process again. And again. And again.

Same happened to me - Barclays, in their infinite wisdom, decided to write to me instead of calling, and to be honest I dismissed the letter as a bank statement and it's currently sitting in a pile of unopened mail at home (I know, my bad...) Of course, they're bloody quick to ring up to try and sell me loans / other products I don't need, but not when two transactions at Somerfield are punctuated by cash been drawn out of my account in Canada. Yeah, I often pop over there for the day and draw money out...idiots.

SeanMacGabhann Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Re HSBC

>

> If I use any machines on LL it's those ones - at

> least once or twice a week - and touch wood,

> nothing so far

xxxxx

That's what I said, Sean, until this morning :))

Touching wood didn't seem to have helped :))

Asset Wrote:

> I've used them absolutely fine for yonks with a

> debit card but the first time I use a credit card

> to withdraw cash, something happens. Possibly a

> factor?

xxxx

Was a debit card they cloned with me, I've never used a credit card to get cash :-S

I don't think it's anything to do with the type of card, just that there hasn't been a cloning epidemic in ED before, and now there is :-S

pixel Wrote:

> I had my card cloned last week straight after

> using the Lloyds TSB cashpoint opposite the Plough

> pub

How do you know it was to do with that transaction? Did someone tell you that?

Obviously this whole cloning thing is a right royal pain in the arse, but I don't know how reliant we can be in trying to 'trace' where it happened.

I have no knowledge of the technical side of cloning, but surely, once it has happened there is no necessity to immediately use/sell on the info apart from greed?

If I was running some dodgy machine at a garage I would happily store up a few weeks worth of card before starting to use the info in an attempt to fuzzy the trail back to me.

So when people are saying "I just used my card at ...... and it was cloned" it may just be that the crim has just started using your info that was garnered some ago? I for one use my card at least once a day for atms, food, fuel whatever so the timing could just be coincidence? This doesn't detract from the fact that it must have happened at some point but it is possibly less easy to say where?

Just a thought.