Mugging Tyrrell Road

trp489

A warning to all locals in the Tyrrell Road area, my wife was mugged by 3 men in balaclavas(!) tonight (around 1.30am) as she walked from her taxi (on barry road) to our house. 3 men in non-descript dark clothes asked for her bag and told her not to make a sound - she duly handed over her bag and they ran off. She is fine, but extremely shaken up.

Thanks for the messages guys. Police being pretty proactive, we have recovered most of her bag in the surrounding roads... So looks like they were just after cash. Main loss is phone and driving license. These people are filth.

Don't forget to report the phone stolen asap so that you won't be responsible for the calls made on it. Driving licence is a pain in the rear to replace. Can you tell us which street(s) the bag was found in? I'm curious what route they took. Thanks in advance. Again, I hope your wife is OK.

Around 8.30-9ish last night there was a shady looking character wearing dark clothing with his hood up and wearing a balaclava/scarf all you could see was his eyes on Worlingham Road, I reported it to the police.

I hope your wife is ok

Really sorry to hear this, and hope your wife recovers. What a horrible thing to happen.

Sorry to add to the bad news, but if they've taken her driving licence, they could also try identity theft. I had my purse and licence stolen a few years ago and about 6 months afterwards they used the licence to order a mobile from a catalogue (the catalogue realised there was something amiss due to the billing and delivery addresses being different, so no-one lost out financially, luckily). They registered me with CIFAS and I now have a password if I want to take any sort of credit out (card, storecard, ordering from a catalogue). It might be worth your wife registering with them now to avoid any future problems: http://www.cifas.org.uk/

There was a guy with hood up on Crystal Palace Rd at 8.20pm, 50yds north of actress, making out he was on the phone (it shed no light so I guessed there was no call actually on). As I passed in car he did immediate 180 turn so I could not see his face, I went round block and came back from other direction, just as I passed - exactly same again, immediate 180 turn. I stopped so I was looking straight across road at him, he turned towards houses on his side and stood still with back to me. I had to move on as 2 cars behind.

Then he walked-on in opposite direction to me.

I'm probably noticing this more than usual due to recent postings

Sorry to hear about your wife's experience. Just wanted to say that it's normal to feel quite jumpy for a few months afterwards. After it happened to me, I would startle at any noise behind me or any movement out of corner of my eye. The good news is that the hyper alertness passes eventually.

Hi, my husband was mugged on the corner of Friern Rd and Lordship Lane last night around 21.30. The mugger punched him first and then demanded his phone. He managed to fight him off. The police came quickly but he had gone. The description given above is the same as this mugger. This guy was violent.

interesting to see that there have been similar occurrences in the area recently - i will let the police know about that(in case they dont already).

Jah Lush - in one of those 'if only' moments the taxi driver over shot our turning and so she told him she would walk the 50metres(!) from the end of Tyrrell Road to our front door.

I was walking back to Forest Hill from Peckham Rye with a friend on Sunday night (13th Oct). We passed along Barry Road and turned into Upland Road between 8:30-8:40 pm. As we reached the junction with Friern Road, I turned to see a youngish guy (early twenties?) following a few yards behind us with what looked like a red bandana around his throat, partially obscuring the lower part of his face. He seemed to clock me at the same time I looked at him, which immediately put me on my guard. We continued on a few paces and I turned back to look at him again at which point he seemed to nip behind the red telephone kiosk on Upland Road. I glanced back a few more times as I continued up Upland Road, but I did not see him again. I thought at the time he was acting suspiciously. Now I wonder if it's the same guy who attacked mimmcc's husband at 9:30 pm that same evening at the Lordship Lane end of Friern Road. Unfortunately, it was too dark to give a proper description, except to say he was of average height, slim build and wearing dark clothing. I'm posting this really to echo earlier calls for people to exercise vigilance and to remain aware of their surroundings when out and about of an evening - especially as the nights are now drawing in.

I also saw a man on Sunday night around 9pm acting suspicious near Goodrich school, I kept my eye on him and he kept turning round, I stopped walking and waited for him to keep walking. He made out he was on the phone as he walked further along Upland Road up to 185 bus stops at the start on the Lane. Personal alarm and defence spray ordered!!

If i thought I was being followed - I'd act 'strange' too though

- part of my London thing is I watch for that.

I'll often wait for people behind me to pass.

NannyMcWinter Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I also saw a man on Sunday night around 9pm acting

> suspicious near Goodrich school, I kept my eye on

> him and he kept turning round, I stopped walking

> and waited for him to keep walking. He made out he

> was on the phone as he walked further along Upland

> Road up to 185 bus stops at the start on the Lane.

> Personal alarm and defence spray ordered!!

Isn't defense spray illegal over here? A couple of weeks ago the police were signing people up for a neighborhood watch scheme on Pellatt Road. Perhaps something similar is in order around Friern?

It??s sad to say but I never walk around the area by myself once its dark! My local friends and the taxi firms all laugh at me since I spend 6 quid on local taxis for very short journeys within ED but I??d be so traumatized by a mugging (more than the money lost) that it??s worth it for me. Also, my husband prefers it too so he can sleep easier :)??