The Grove Pub..

Pffft. Smokers need to reclaim the boozers of this land. And also, it's a PUB ffs why the fook would people want babies and high chairs in there?

Luckily, I stopped going to the grove when it changed it's name form the Grove the first time and became a poncey pizzeria. This new change will only drive me further away!

Ratty

CARPED

CAmpaign for Real Pubs in East Dulwich

Well said Ratty. I can't imagine what it's going to be like to sit in a pub without having a ciggy with my beer. One cannot go without the other. It's like having bacon without the eggs. It's also years since I've been in the Grove Tavern, as it was then. And, yes they completely f****d it up.

I agree on the need for a cig with beer but, unfortunately, we are a minority now.

The Rye Hotel has been smoke-free inside since the new year which sucked in January as the heaters outside either burnt your head or did absolutley nada.

Having said that I was chatting to Ben from Bar Story on Sunday and he is in the process of creating a smoking area outside that he says will be comfy and hopefully not too cold in the winter.

Sigh. Time is running out for us...

Good day to you Jah Lush.

Bar Story's under Peckham Rye Station but don't let that put you off!

It's great, cocktails, good range of bottled beers, only Star and Guiness on tap but great food and great music. There's also an art gallery behind it. Really nice atmosphere. Minimal but in my opinion relaxed and comfy.

It's what my mate would term as 'bojo' - quintessentially South East London. Where the 'students' of the mid/late 90s converge to discuss politics, children, eco friendly bins then drink ridiculously named cocktails till 2 in the morning. Parfait!

I used to fear the beer-but-no-fags demon. But actually it's not a problem at all. It took a little getting used to, yes, but now it's fine. In fact, a smoke-free pub is much nicer when it comes to the morning after. Hangovers aren't quite as queasy, and clothes aren't quite so smelly.

(Not that I want to come over as a sanctimonious ex-smoker. In the words of I-forget-which hip hop balladeers: I'm not preaching' to y'all, I'm just speakin' to y'all.)

Good grief!!!! Eleven quid for a Zombie. I've not drunk cocktails in years but eleven bleeding quid!!!!!! Ye Gods. I once drank ten of them in one night with the odd lager on the side. I think I'd be bankrupt very quickly if I was to try that now.

The Grove was the first pub I visited in ED three years ago when I moved here. It was also at the time the first pub I'd been to outside of zone one that charged more than ?3 for a pint! It's still a rip off today (though other ED pubs are quickly catching up).

On another note; I've been to a few countries now where smoking has been outlawed. In the really busy bars guess what you can smell instead of smoke??? Body odour! Nice. Please someone....light up!