What happened this morning at Le Chardon?

One - one - young woman was being led away by two border police/agency people. Two more were on the door of Le Chardon. I asked why it took four people to take one person away. Embarrassed smiles and perfunctory claptrap followed. Oh, and then - comic gods be thanked - a fifth officer walked out to see what all the fuss was about.....

Some time ago, a friend of mine went out with a copper. One night he was called to a domestic tiff. Turned out the bloke causing all the trouble collected and was extremely competent with samurai swords. Almost killed said copper. Bloke ended up going down for attempted murder.

Essentially, the police often do not know what situation they may encounter. And the public turn out to be flipping rubbish at judging situations.

I think living London is a difficult job. It's not one many people could do and fact as I think the ads used to say "I couldn't. Could you?"

Nigello Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I asked why it took four people to take one person away.

Surely they have the right to take sensible precautions, in case it turns nasty? Or should just one or two of them go, to make it a fair fight?

I'm a community physio and have seen machetes, guns, standard kitchen knives bing used for ill effect ( not against me thankfully) The joys of inner city living - people do the unexpected. If they travel in packs, I don't blame them...

Sorry , I am not used to different kind of protection vests . They were just padded and I assumed bullet proof as I have never heard anyone say knife proof before ( wouldn't bullet proof be knife proof too?).

I did think it might be an immigration crime after seeing their operation enforcement van but they did turn lots of heads as its not something you see often of in Dulwich.

DulwichBorn&Bred Wrote:

> Sorry , I am not used to different kind of

> protection vests . They were just padded and I

> assumed bullet proof as I have never heard anyone

> say knife proof before ( wouldn't bullet proof be

> knife proof too?).

Stab proof vests are often worn by ordinary PCs or UKBA forces. Bullet proof vests would only be worn by armed officers in situations where they were deemed needed.

And a stab proof vest is much lighter and wouldn't stand a chance of stopping live ammo. Only thick, heavy kevlar will do so.

I sometimes wonder why I know this stuff...

david_carnell Wrote:

> DulwichBorn&Bred Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Sorry , I am not used to different kind of

> > protection vests . They were just padded and I

> > assumed bullet proof as I have never heard

> anyone

> > say knife proof before ( wouldn't bullet proof

> be

> > knife proof too?).

>

> Stab proof vests are often worn by ordinary PCs or

> UKBA forces. Bullet proof vests would only be worn

> by armed officers in situations where they were

> deemed needed.

>

> And a stab proof vest is much lighter and wouldn't

> stand a chance of stopping live ammo. Only thick,

> heavy kevlar will do so.

Actually the first "bullet proof" vests effective against handguns were made from cross woven silk by a Catholic priest from Chicago in the early 1900s. The Archduke Franz Ferdinand was actually wearing one when he was shot. Unfortunately he was shot in the neck.

>

> I sometimes wonder why I know this stuff...

A show called Weaponology on Discovery Channel?

That would be immigration most likely overstayers.seen quite few there vans around london this week they do checks all time just 1 way they found effective catching overstayers.

seems alot but as said they dont know what they being called to and caution better than none.

lovely place le chardon.

"Actually the first "bullet proof" vests effective against handguns were made from cross woven silk"

The Mongols didn't wear much armour at all, many wore none bar a silk shirt. If you were shot by an arrow it wouldn't break but be dragged into the body surrounding the arrowhead and be very easy to pull out without causing further damage.

what david_carnell said......

Mick Mac Wrote:

> Nigello Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > One - one - young woman was being led away by

> two

> > border police/agency people.

>

>

> I hope it wasn't the little dark haired french

> girl. She was too nice to give away.

If she was actually French then it won't be her, it would only be non EU bods. Free movement and all that.