Duppytown? Which part of Dulwich is this?

• 7 months later...
OK i will clear it up duppy means ghost it is not racist though it can be used as a racist term depending on the person using the term and how they are saying it as with most racist words so duppy town is not used to be racist so get over yourselves duppytown is just another way of saying ghost town which is another area in norwood, look it up. As for those who research caribbean words and phrases on the internet and think they now know words used by jamaicans for example duppy and taking it the wrong way to make it seem like a racist word get a life and stop trying to get to know words that are not of your own native tongue as im sure it will not benefit you in any way shape or form. If your not using your knowledge or the words for good or your own personal leisure then dont use it at all it makes no sense just get on with your life and dont watch what we do or say. Simple

Oh jeezus who fucking cares. I remember this thread. I was interested in where this place was, looked it up on tinterweb, saw it was Jamaican and then I asked a Jamaican girl (actually born and bred there not just by descent) who I work with and know well. She told me how the word could be used. Did I take offence to it? Not in the fucking slightest. I just thought it was interesting.

It still didn?t answer my question about where, if anywhere, Duppytown was. But you have now done that. Thanks Shan.

Yes, I don't suppose the Celts who lived here centuries ago would recognise the English language as we speak it now - it's hard enough for us to read the likes of Chaucer now. Language isn't fixed, it evolves, and one of the key influences is other cultures / languages of people who come to live here.

"stop trying to get to know words that are not of your own native tongue as im sure it will not benefit you in any way shape or form. If your not using your knowledge or the words for good or your own personal leisure then dont use it at all it makes no sense just get on with your life and dont watch what we do or say. Simple"

It's the spirit of social integration isn't it? Telling people what they can and can't do, a sort of local tyranny? :))

Nice to have you on board Shan, although I don't really understand why you've dug up a long dead thread and then told your friendly neighbours to stop talking about it? You may not realise, but you kind of achieved quite the opposite?

I guess this thread would qualify as 'words for your own personal leisure', as it's a chat site?

On another note, I think racism needs to involve intent, not just perception. We can't walk around all day getting offended at whatever we choose. What a disaster!

What is perceived as racist remarks seems to change quite frequently.

When I was a kid the word 'nigger' was a colour of shoe polish and the name of every other black labrador in the street.

The word 'coloured' was then a racist remark having been used as the collective for the black population for many years.

Then the word 'black' or 'blacks' was the word to be used for the description of African/West Indian immigrants.

I did not realise that using this word now "say's a lot about me".

Perhaps someone who is well informed on these matters might enlighten me on the most recent term for the collective noun?