> Countrlass22 Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > traffic influx a slight concern

>

> Why? Surely anyone in a car will drive to

> Sainsburys 100m up the road instead, where there

> is plenty of parking.

That, and the fact it is round the corner from the train station, is why I would imagine Morrison's future shoppers will arrive on foot. There's a hell of a lot of communter footfall passing by for which it will be a convient pit stop - but someone will feel the pain.

James Barber Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Hi Serena2012,

> The size would be similar to the space occupied by

> M&S at London Bridge.

> So for both Waitrose and M&S they obviously have

> bigger asperations for the area.

It doesn't seem that Waitrose has any aspirations in the area at the moment! :(

1.6M commuter journeys pa with valid tickets that the train company can tell involve East Dulwich. So more footfall than that.

Hi jeremy,

If you're talking about 41-43 East Dulwich Road then ground floor a shop unit.

Hi easytiger,

The controlled Parking part of the section106 was planning officers insisting it be present. The developer didnt ask or wont it and owuld have preferred to pay more towards fitting out the new Grove Vale library that is part of the scheme.

Is it a Morrisons store or a Morrisons Off Licence?

What percentage of the store will be alcohol?

Given the problems in this area with muggings, stabbings and gang culture in nearby areas, the underage drinking and all that entails, is it wise to encourage more cheap alcohol (cheap, as Morrisons is a cheaper store) to be sold up to mid-night? There is already a cost cutter which is well managed, and of course Sainsbury's. Not to mention AJ's who opens before 6.00 and the two other stores who service the community well.

The 'upmarket' supermarket which was rumoured would have made some difference as a contrast to local shops but a Morrisons particularly if it is mainly for booze will bring down the area and take business away from local shops. This is a total deviation from the original plan of a large library and small shop under which the developer got permission to build more flats than he should have. Under the railway arch is already pretty grim, the litter and cans will no doubt increase as it is an area to congregate - and why is it open until mid-night when ten would be sufficient? it is surely for only one thing, drink, people are unlikely to be doing their weekly shop at 11 or 12 o'clock and if they are they will be in Sainsbury's.

I agree that the area is a hotspot for muggings, stabbings and gang culture. Only last week, I was walking by the station and a local gang tried to get me to join their "crew" (I had to politely decline of course, but I was almost indoctrinated into a life of crime and listening to bad hip hop through my phone speaker).

I also worry about the negative impact of Morrisons. If we had a Waitrose instead, the youth could learn the joys of pork belly, asparagus, and Pippa Middleton recipes. They'd be too busy enjoying tasty food to go around stabbing people - win-win!

I mean, Mossisons indeed? You're right, it is only for one thing. Drink. I tell you what percentage of the store will be alcohol - 100%! (which means all of it!) They may as well just give out free White Lightning to anyone with a hooded top and a mean dog.

Surely there must be a petition we can sign to stop this awful shop coming to our neighbourhood. I demand to know!!!

Hi rahrahrah,

Appeals such as that from M&S/freeholders normally take 6-8 the case officer tells me.

Hi Jeremy,

Wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morrisons suggests M Local format sell "...wider range of ready-to-eat hot food such as pastries, coffee, rotisserie, porridge and also a salad bar...". and ask anyone who appears under 27 years of age to show ID.

I'd also suggest having an active store front should in theory make that area safer.

Some pictures of an M Local store http://www.retail-week.com/stores/analysis-morrisons-convenience-format-m-local/5047853.article

It will be interesting to see how it pans out, breakfast takeaways and alcohol at midnight, what a good mix, and especially beneficial for the local community. It's the license that is the mistake, Morrisons can move in, sell food and we can all happily shop there - after all there probably won't be the other little shops left to go to - but to give another license out until midnight in that area which is already well serviced is just asking for trouble. And, if anyone is interested 'local' supermarket shops can and do charge more than the large supermarkets for the same products. Sainsbury local v Sainsbury Tesco v Tesco Metro check it out.

Looking on Google at the interior of a few of these stores it's interesting to see the spacious layout, lots of fresh food, vegetable and deli stands with wide aisles. Not the cram it all in approach of certain other supermarkets. Whether the alcohol licence is a mistake is yet to be seen, but I don't see the difference it will make considering the nearby large Sainsbury's.

Louisa.

not sure where you are coming from actually Jeremy, are you pro the supermarket or against it? difficult to work out, but it's not a joke actually it will impact on the area and we don't need it but hey you probably don't even live locally or use the train much.

Hi edhistory,

No. Southwark Council transport officers told him he had to pay for such a bay to aid passenger drops off and pick ups as well as any shop deliveries/waste removal. They were explicitly told the previous garden centre arrangements of reversing into Railway Rise were not acceptable.

Hi timein,

I think supermarket is perhaps a little grand for the size of unit planned.

Timein - I am 'pro' as I live a 5 min walk away and use the train every day. I would find it useful, as it will be quicker than going to sainsburys and less crap than the cost cutter. Your description of muggings/stabbings/gangs is ludicrously OTT.

Jeremy aside from convenience in terms of having to walk a few hundred yards less to shop when stepping off the train, do we really need another supermarket-type store? As others have said we have Sainsbury's at either end of ED, we have the co-op, Tesco Express, Iceland/ M&S. I fear that the more chains that move in the more likely the small independents will fold and close and ED that we know and love will be lost.

On another note, wasn't James Barber very against another local supermarket (Co-op) getting a late alcohol licence?

" hey you probably don't even live locally or use the train much."

Man I get royally ticked off when someone who has been a regular poster on this forum for years, is clearly a local, clearly uses trains daily is just dismissed by some one-note blowhard because they are too lazy and tone-deaf to bother engaging properly