breastfeeding in public - experiences?

dildals

Shame that some one had to post something crass (or was it an attempt to be funny?) on here - cause the reality is that most men dont even notice that is what you are doing. And if they do - they are generally concerned not to embarrass you or be seen to be staring. Most people would much rather not hear a baby crying than risk sight of a nipple.

I think it's a shame you weighed in here Foxhelp. Nothing constructive to add so why bother?! Your comments about your sister's postnatal body make me really sad too, poor her.

Also showing a nipple, which is exactly where your baby is getting it's milk from, is 100% fine in my opinion. It's all part of normalising something normal, that due to society's obsession with breasts being *only* sexual, has been de-normalised. I'm pretty quick at latching on but if people don't want to see a brief and functional flash of nipple, the onus is on them to look away every time.

bluesuperted Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I think it's a shame you weighed in here Foxhelp.

> Nothing constructive to add so why bother?! Your

> comments about your sister's postnatal body make

> me really sad too, poor her.

>

> Also showing a nipple, which is exactly where your

> baby is getting it's milk from, is 100% fine in my

> opinion. It's all part of normalising something

> normal, that due to society's obsession with

> breasts being *only* sexual, has been

> de-normalised. I'm pretty quick at latching on but

> if people don't want to see a brief and functional

> flash of nipple, the onus is on them to look away

> every time.

Agree 100%. Cover up by all means if you prefer but no one should feel they have to.

In answer to the OP I have breastfed pretty much everywhere in East Dulwich and surrounding area and have never had a negative comment. Outside of London there have been times when I've felt a bit uncomfortable though.

I've been keeping a 'personal bests' score with my breastfeeding friends, of the most exceptional/unusual breastfeeding situations we've been in.

Its fun and it helped us feel stronger/defiant in the face of the very very small minority of people who rather than encourage a mother who is demonstrably caring for her child, use the opportunity to spew their hate...

Anyway, mine was on a see-saw.. baby was hungry, toddler wanted to play... ;-)

Took a while to build up to the see-saw though..

I've breastfed just about everywhere and anywhere and honestly never had a bad experience. Once you get the hang of it you can do it so discretely most people won't notice. I often used a shawl, or the same clothes combinations other posters have recommended.

I've only ever had positive comments from people, so don't think just because someone is looking at you that they are disapproving. I often find myself watching a woman breastfeed because it is so nice, and then I worry that she might think I am being nosy or disapproving!

I learnt to crochet specifically to make one of these for a friend's new born. Went down a treat and kept baby warm during a chilly April whilst her big sis climbed the playgrounds of SE London.

etta166 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Now that winter's coming, what our little ones all

> need is one of these:

>

> http://laughingsquid.com/boobie-beanie/