Crystal Palace Rd - Robberies / Warning

crystalpalaceroad Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Thanks for your advice mynamehere. Peckham and

> East Dulwich safe neighbourhood police teams were

> contacted by e-mail, voicemails were left.

> Neither got back in touch.

>

> Nick, I'm sure you would feel differently if you

> lived in the road the crimes were taking place on.

I wonder if you used the same impolite hectoring tone you used on here - that may explain their delay in responding.

While I don't doubt that your particular stretch of CP Rd may have a particular issue that requires attention, calls for the Met Police to set up a specific unit to deal with it are ridiculous.

James Barber has been nothing but helpful throughout his history on this forum and, unlike you, has provided a useful service to many forumites and residents. The fact that you are asking residents, from outside his ward, to now hector him for his response to you (which was fine btw) is a pathetic low.

And the number of views per thread in no way implies support....

The hyperbole on this thread is also alarming. Residents are not being "picked off like gazelles" for example. Such language might work in films and tv but not in real life. Nor is it helpful.

James Barber dedicates himself tirelessly (and often thanklessly) to this community.

There are robberies on every street and in every postcode. My sympathies to anyone who has been a victim of any crime (and yes, it could be me tomorrow). Whilst it is obviously good for people to be vigilant, please get a grip and let's not have a run on pitchforks at Lordship Lane DIY.

"deems it appropriate to make light of a situation, commenting that "undoubtedly criminals can cross the road." "

I didn't read it as making light of the situation - rather, he was pointing out that the homes affected were not in his ward, but that he had asked police teams on both sides of the ward boundary to act, because criminals obviously don't respect those boundaries i.e. can cross the road.

I agree with d_c - I can't see how J Barber can fairly be criticised for reporting to the police and relevant agencies.

Wow. What a very excited reaction to a thread that was a genuine warning to the local community about a criminal robbing homes and attempting to stab one of the residents on our road.

Thanks DaveR for pointing out the other side of the coin. I didn't read James Barbers response that way. I was annoyed things were taking so long and that emails and calls were being ignored. The only time I received a response from JB was on this forum. But you made a good point and It seems I interpreted his reply the wrong way.

I just wanted to warn people so they could be vigilant.

David Karnell,

I must correct your post. If you take a look back you will see Ive not once asked the Met Police to set up a specific unit to deal with the problems in our area. I've not asked people to torment our councillor outside his ward. My post revealed robberies were happening in Barry Road, Upland, Frien and other parts of East Dulwich. What you label as hectoring was actually a call to those effected to get onto their councillor and push for action. To you that is a "pathetic low".

If you look back to my first post it was a genuine warning to the residents of our area to remain vigilant. If that is not useful I don't know what is.

Like many discussions on this forum, it has gone off point. People like yourself, get angry, miss facts and make people who are trying to help feel like they shouldn't. I'm glad this forum serves as a way for you to feel superior.

I think you should also consider the impact of closing down ED police station. Our SNT are now based in one small room in Camberwell Police Station and have further to travel on their shifts. I was driving up Grove Lane last week around 6.30 pm when I spotted PC A.C. who was talking with a guy, having known this PC since he started with Dulwich, I was going to offer him a lift down to Dulwich when I realised that he was probably finishing his shift and going back to the station. A couple of weeks ago I mentioned to him that I spotted him 'outside his normal beat area' - he frequently walks to ED from Camberwell. This is a copper who was well known to many ED residents and very approachable so you could mention any concerns you may have about 'odd characters'. With the ED Police station closure, we have lost a very valuable asset -the neighbourhood copper who knew most of the rogues of the area. By diluting the time our coppers spend in ED - having to add on travel time to their patch, we have opened up more opportunities for criminals. I suggest those who are in 'high crime areas' in ED consider forming a neighbourhood watch even if it is only for a section of a long road. There was a programme on TV a couple of weeks ago where Police and Council in Gloucester enrolled the dog walking community as extra eyes and ears and who were given a dedicated number to report concerns. It appeared to be very successful scheme

Pugwash - excellent post. The closure of local police stations in London is a very worrying development IMO. Sadly the bobby on the beat is a rare sight these days, as the police are so under-resourced. You're right, in the old days a neighbourhood cop would have known exactly who to look out for and where to look. Sadly it seems the police are no longer such a part of local communities nowadays, due to the cuts.