Ivy House up for sale

Sue

I used to go to the Ivy House for Easycome on Wednesday nights run by Andy Hankdog. These acoustic nights with some very talented performers were really special. Easycome now has a home in the Old Nuns' Head but I would love it if a new owner managed to lure him back. The fantastically opulent gold drapes on the stage just gave it the edge.

absolutely! one of the best gold curtains still surviving. rolling stones used to play there amongst others. Easy come Hank dog nights were fun for years. Its steeped in decades of music history and would be a crying shame to see it chopperoonies/

Apparently it's the lease that has been put up for sale by the owners, not the freehold.

I don't know anything about the economics of running a pub, but would that mean that if you revived a pub, it would then become more profitable, so the owners would then want more money for the next lease?

I wonder if anyone ever did pay ?100 a week to rent any of the rooms over the pub? If you needed to let them all (10 rooms?) to make the place pay it could be tough, although, wouldn't living there be bloke paradise? They might even have a dumb waiter that could haul them upstairs when the bar closes.

I've seen Dr Feelgood play the Newlands as a 15 year old, how on earth did I get in? Also the Blockheads and Elvis Costello played, sadly did not see. Can anyone confirm Dire Straights did a gig there in their early days?

Slightly off topic about the same time I saw The Sensational Alex Harvey Band supported by The Troggs at the Empire Ballroom, broke the heel off my platform boot!