Gigs / Local Bands

tommo

Here we go, the Cherry Tree attack on Sue gathers pace again.

Maybe you missed the other people's posts besides mine, Manager?

Another "old saying" - When in a hole, stop digging.

ETA: For those who don't know the history, a search on "New Management The Cherry Tree" will bring up an enlightening thread - currently number 12 on the page that comes up from the search. It was a very very long thread, and its contents will shed light on why so many local people will no longer eat or drink in The Cherry Tree.

And "Manager" - actually, I think this is a pretty good use of my time, all things considered. Whereas posting fake recommendations for your pub on here is perhaps not the wisest use of yours.

new manager here sue o so theres three of u hardly an army of disgruntled people any half decent person wud worry about there own business instead of sticking there nose in where its not wanted,anyway for all the rest of impartial people in dulwich try new food and tapas menu in cherry tree u wont b dissapointed thats a promise

Manager Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> just replying to tommo re his comments about

> cherry tree saying hes new to area maybe he shud

> try out cherry tree before judging it!!!!!ive

> eaten there 3 times in the past week and the food

> is superb,bar staff were very friendly very and

> new tapas menu is great value for money.wats the

> old saying never judge a book by its cover

Erm - you're posting recommendations for your own business (not for the first time) and now you're slagging US off for picking you up on it. Somebody pinch me, can't be for real.

Are you by any change the manager of a rival pub (i.e. NOT The Cherry Tree)? I could understand if you were because you aren't exactly winning friends and influencing people for The Cherry Tree.

Have to say we (The Prisonaires) played The Cherry Tree about 4 times recently and never had a problem with anybody there - apart from the viability of getting a full house in there - people who were there seemed to like it a lot - however I agree with KK - get this back on OP topic please- you can pick holes in any pub/management team if you have half a mind to

Get To F*** straffer ....get back to yer chattering classes - Sue posted the thing about Hoopers so I replied and said it wasn't the right place, she asked for it - an d I think it's the Golden Lion not the red lion - and Tommy Cooper was a chunt

Kingy Wrote:

> Get To F*** straffer ....get back to yer

> chattering classes - Sue posted the thing about

> Hoopers so I replied and said it wasn't the right

> place, she asked for it - an d I think it's the

> Golden Lion not the red lion - and Tommy Cooper

> was a chunt

xxxxxxx

Excuse me? This was your first post about Hoopers on that thread. Jesus.

Re: Drafthouse pub Lordship Lane

Posted by Kingy September 04, 12:52PM

'Hoopers closed for good on Xmas Day and it certainly wasn't spit and sawdust. It was a very nice pub with a great selection of ales and a fairly good selection of wine. There was good music there and the comedy nights were fun. Damn that neighbour. I miss it.'

but the knob running it was a damn fool

http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/read.php?5,1155477,page=3

ETA: Kingy's post is towards the bottom of that page. I don't know how to do a link directly to it.

Er, Sue...er I did not introduce the subject of Hooper's to that thread - I commented on it after somebody else had introduced it and I believe I also said this was not the place to discuss it after you had asked for an explanation, quote - 'I agree that this is no place for it but you asked for it' unquote - but of course you will be right and I will be wrong, because you are always right, even though the logic you have about charging musicians to play is not actually charging them to play stumps me, you are probably right about that as well

Jamie Hooper knocked me, he welshed on a deal and lied about it - and he did it in a slippery and underhand way. I am glad his tin pot pub has closed down, the people at The Cherry Tree, despite their obvious problems with some members this board, and you in particular, paid in full, every time, even though they were losing money on the deal.

It's not a pub I had ever been in before and everybody from the chattering classes gave me 'warnings' about it - but I didn't have any problem with them

Excuse me, Jesus - or is it God - you only see what you choose to see and disregard the rest, maybe you have both fingers stuck in your ears

Kingy Wrote:

> Er, Sue...er I did not introduce the subject of

> Hooper's to that thread - I commented on it after

> somebody else had introduced it and I believe I

> also said this was not the place to discuss it

> after you had asked for an explanation, quote - 'I

> agree that this is no place for it but you asked

> for it' unquote - but of course you will be right

> and I will be wrong, because you are always right,

> even though the logic you have about charging

> musicians to play is not actually charging them to

> play stumps me, you are probably right about that

> as well

>

> Jamie Hooper knocked me, he welshed on a deal and

> lied about it - and he did it in a slippery and

> underhand way. I am glad his tin pot pub has

> closed down, the people at The Cherry Tree,

> despite their obvious problems with some members

> this board, and you in particular, paid in full,

> every time, even though they were losing money on

> the deal.

>

> It's not a pub I had ever been in before and

> everybody from the chattering classes gave me

> 'warnings' about it - but I didn't have any

> problem with them

>

> Excuse me, Jesus - or is it God - you only see

> what you choose to see and disregard the rest,

> maybe you have both fingers stuck in your ears

xxxxxxx

God Almighty (to continue the religious theme) Kingy, if I didn't know you off the forum, from your recent posts on various threads I'd think you were what you called Jamie Hooper :)) :)) :))

The main problem with your Hoopers posts, as various people pointed out to you, was your slagging off of somebody who was not there to give his side of the story. Various people also pointed out to you that it is not the done thing to pass the hat round at a gig where you are already being paid. Your dispute with Jamie about what he was paying you was after you had passed the hat round, not before.

I really can't be arsed to explain things to you about Hankdog's open mic, maybe go to a few ticketed open mic nights and see what other people who run them do, and maybe use your undoubted "intelligence" to consider why they do it.

An ex of mine used to frequently sing at open mics in North London, and had no problem in paying an entrance fee (albeit a discounted one because he was performing) because he knew only too well the amount of work that went into running it. And if the organiser had not charged performers entry, he would have made probably a couple of quid a night, because 99% of the people going there were performers.

No wonder, it was f-ing boring, nobody except another performer would choose to pay to hear a bunch of singer-songwriters navel-gazing all night, with a few rare and talented exceptions (my ex being one, obviously :)) )

Suggest you read the old Cherry Tree thread to see why many people round here have a problem with the owners. Their "problems with me" (though God knows why they have always singled me out) are because I have publicised on here, as have others, the way they (mis) treat their many many managers and chefs.

If you choose to continue to have gigs there, up to you, but I for one will not patronise the place. Surely the manner in which they have posted on this thread must indicate something to you, or perhaps it is you who has your fingers stuck in your ears?

:)) :)) :))

Dear Sue - collectively my band has around 250 years worth of gigging experience (yes 250 years) - when you have that amount of experience behind you (rather than maybe 20-30 gigs a year) then perhaps you will be in a position to tell me when or when not to pass the hat/jug at a gig. It has always been that if the gig is free entry, then the jug is passed, if it's a pay to get in fee then it isn't passed - from the 60's to the present day.

Jamie Hooper did not organise the gig, I did, Jamie wanted Miller to play his pub and Miller wanted to play with the band, and a fee was agreed, where i was running at a slight loss in any case and it was agreed that the hat would be passed. Jamie Hooper paid ?50 less than the agreed fee and furthermore deducted the hat money off the lesser fee, he then proceeded to tell me that he had never agreed the fee in the first place, which at best was mistaken then an outright lie.

The guy at The Cherry Tree offered the full money every night, on the one occasion it was quiet I offered to take a drop in the money, which I would have done at Hooper's if it had been quiet, which it wasn't, and if Jamie hooper hadn't been so slippery - and as far as I know Jamie Hooper is a member of this forum and can speak for himself if he can get over his shame. We aren't playing the cherry tree any more as it is not financially viable for hem to pay us what we need, no falling out.

With regard to HankDog charging performers to play, just because everybody else does it doesn't make it right, I've promoted gigs for over 35 years and I've always payed performers, if your happy to live with it then go ahead, I'm not so I won't

As I previously suggested, let's discuss it over a pint or two some time.

Years of experience does not necessarily make you right.

We had many gigs at Hoopers Bar. Jamie Hooper always paid us exactly what was agreed, whether it was heaving or quiet, and we would never have dreamed of passing a hat round as well.

Are you saying that you've run open mic gigs with maybe a dozen or more sets of artists turning up and have paid them all to play even if there was hardly anybody in the audience who wasn't actually playing?

You must be bankrupt :)) :)) :))

preston_johns Wrote:

> Zonderlings sounds good. Our band has similar

> issues playing original tunes in SE London - there

> just aren't many places unless you're a 'name'.

> And you run out of willing friends quite quickly

> (we do, anyway).

>

> We ran our own night at the Old Nun's Head in

> Nunhead last summer and would be happy to try that

> again with some other like-minded bands. Also, we

> recently played the Miller in London Bridge, which

> is not far from ED at all.

I'm a fellow Zonderlings member along with Jeremy. We too puit on a night last year at The Half Moon Hearn Hill, which went really well, and it was cool to cut out the middle man. That's a great venue, but they've had a change of ownership since, and I believe they've been badly hit by the recent flood, so probably not an option in the immediate future. I think getting together with another band or two and splitting the cost of putting on a night (then splitting any takings) is a good way forward. Extra motivation to drag all your mates down, and to be heard by some new people.

Sue Wrote:

> FloatTheRiver Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > The Great Exhibition has live music every

> > Thursday, varying between jazz, swing, honky

> tonk

> > and a monthly appearance by the local ukulele

> > band.

> >

>

> xxxxxx

>

> The Ukes are fun, but unfortunately apart from

> that I've yet to hear any decent live music in The

> Great Exhibition.

>

> Maybe I've just been unlucky in the times I've

> been there.

I've only ever heard jazz there, and that's not real music.

StraferJack Wrote:

> "Dear Sue - collectively my band has around 250

> years worth of gigging experience (yes 250

> years)"

>

> To be fair to kingy an his band, they are the best

> trio currently gigging around south london

xxxxxx

I have no idea whether that's true or not, and it depends who you compare them to (Fran McGillivray and Mike Burke with their drummer are a pretty damn good trio, for example) but it doesn't have any relevance to what he was posting about :)