> people are not going to be happy paying those beer

> prices on top of an entry fee - if it was free

> entertainment and the pub were paying the act then

> people wouldn't mind paying a premium on the beer

> prices but it's a back street boozer and it has

> high street prices at the moment

>

xxxxxxx

Of course The Goose is not The Ivy House - however, it was being said that people would not come to the Ivy House for music because of its location - I am saying that they will. And have done in the past. And are doing now.

As regards beer prices, the fact is, that people ARE happy paying "those beer prices" on top of an entry fee.

I am not in "argumentative mode", I am stating facts!

The newly reopened Ivy House has a wide selection of excellent ales. Some of those are under three quid a pint, including the excellent Truman's Runner.

What is this "premium" you claim they are putting on beer prices?

Here's their sample menu:

http://www.ivyhousenunhead.com/docs/beermenu.pdf

Are you saying those prices are more expensive than other pubs round here? Are you comparing like for like?

Many places in London that put on bands, they have you over a barrel and you have to pay at least four quid for a tiny bottle of some weak lager which is gone in a gulp. And yes, that's after you've paid for your ticket.

Returning to the subject of the thread, a year or so back some students (I think it was) attempted to start a regular night at The Vale (I think it was before its ill-fated Cherry Tree incarnation) for putting on young local bands. It died a death.

Possibly it wasn't sufficiently well promoted, but more likely the demographic of East Dulwich was not suited to that kind of night, and young people are sufficiently well catered for elsewhere without needing to travel to East Dulwich for live music.

Yeah, I'd agree with your deduction re the attempted gigs at the Vale.

Ivy House location - it would put off almost all the people I know who don't live locally, but as I say, glad it's working out for you.

Beer prices - reminds me of the draft house argument, people say it's too expensive but there ARE some reasonably prices beers if you look properly. Are the prices up on a blackboard?

Jeremy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Beer prices - reminds me of the draft house

> argument, people say it's too expensive but there

> ARE some reasonably prices beers if you look

> properly. Are the prices up on a blackboard?

xxxxxx

At present the prices are on print-outs around the pub including at the bar.

Too many on offer to put on a blackboard, I should think! It would have to be a very large blackboard!

It's a Free House.

The first few times I got a round in I did a double take - most inexpensive rounds I've bought round here since I can remember.

But then I don't drink the more esoteric bottled craft beers, for which there is obviously a premium anywhere you buy them.

I popped into the Ivy House early yesterday evening and bought a pint of Brockley Ale and a large white wine (a very good Languadoc) for my drinking partner and it was under eight quid! Now that is fecking cheap. Marvellous to have it back open again too. Great pub. Looking forward to seeing some gigs there and maybe some comedy nights again too.

Zonderlings sounds good. Our band has similar issues playing original tunes in SE London - there just aren't many places unless you're a 'name'. And you run out of willing friends quite quickly (we do, anyway).

We ran our own night at the Old Nun's Head in Nunhead last summer and would be happy to try that again with some other like-minded bands. Also, we recently played the Miller in London Bridge, which is not far from ED at all.

preston_johns Wrote:

>

> We ran our own night at the Old Nun's Head in

> Nunhead last summer and would be happy to try that

> again with some other like-minded bands.

xxxxxx

Was that the same night that Filthy Boy were on?

That was a great night. I think I was the oldest person there :(

The Great Exhibition has live music every Thursday, varying between jazz, swing, honky tonk and a monthly appearance by the local ukulele band.

tommo Wrote:

> Thanks - but still really nothing in Dulwich

> itself - how sad

>

> here's what I appear to have found so far relating

> to Dulwich (not environs) :-

> EDT - occassional music - nothing regular - hit

> and miss

> HOUSE OF TIPPLER - insipid cover duos etc

> PLOUGH - nothing

> CHERRY TREE - have been advised that nobody goes

> in there or will go in there

> DRAUGHT HOUSE - nothing

> HAMLET - used to do folk but no rock

> THE ROSE - the odd open night / average acts on

> (judged from last friday)

> THE HERNE - nothing

> THE CLOCK HOUSE - nothing

FloatTheRiver Wrote:

> The Great Exhibition has live music every

> Thursday, varying between jazz, swing, honky tonk

> and a monthly appearance by the local ukulele

> band.

>

xxxxxx

The Ukes are fun, but unfortunately apart from that I've yet to hear any decent live music in The Great Exhibition.

Maybe I've just been unlucky in the times I've been there.

The other one to go to is Skeehan's and this is one of the regular music pubs in Nunhead/Telegraph Hill, one of the local bands that are doing really well are the little Devils and highly recommend them, they play Blues. The Ivyhouse has live Jazz sometime up to 10 piece sets on a sunday lunch and evening. Th Rye hotel has a two man covers only band, but they are ok !!! If I can remember the music .com address I will let ya know ... good luck its a great place to live !!!

just replying to tommo re his comments about cherry tree saying hes new to area maybe he shud try out cherry tree before judging it!!!!!ive eaten there 3 times in the past week and the food is superb,bar staff were very friendly very and new tapas menu is great value for money.wats the old saying never judge a book by its cover

"!ive eaten there 3 times in the past week and the food is superb,bar staff were very friendly very and new tapas menu is great value for money.wats the old saying never judge a book by its cover"

No, I think the old saying is "don't post on internet forums, trying to sound impartial, but logged in as the Manager"

StraferJack Wrote:

> "!ive eaten there 3 times in the past week and the

> food is superb,bar staff were very friendly very

> and new tapas menu is great value for money.wats

> the old saying never judge a book by its cover"

>

> No, I think the old saying is "don't post on

> internet forums, trying to sound impartial, but

> logged in as the Manager"#

xxxxxxxx

Oh dear oh dear.

They never learn, do they?

It would be funny if it wasn't so tragic.

Oh no, hang on .... it's funny :))

ETA: I know I shouldn't, but ... here's just one example .....

http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/read.php?6,1164920,1164920#msg-1164920

StraferJack Wrote:

> "!ive eaten there 3 times in the past week and the

> food is superb,bar staff were very friendly very

> and new tapas menu is great value for money.wats

> the old saying never judge a book by its cover"

>

> No, I think the old saying is "don't post on

> internet forums, trying to sound impartial, but

> logged in as the Manager"

Jeez do they have a brain cell between them? Yet more reasons not to go there!