peckham cinema

ash77

Anyone else out there getting a little bit tired!!!!! of the shambolic staff that run the peckham multi plex. Today is the 3rd time i've taken my son to a see a film there that isn't on regardless of the fact that it says that it is showing on there website. ( "oh yeah sorry man - we forgot to update the website") last time my wife walked all the way there only to be faced with the same probelm. the problem being the idiots that run it and work there.

sort it out!!!

Never had a problem there. The staff are pretty laid back and it's not as shiny as the bigger 'brands' but it's cheap and my children always enjoy themselves. That and the fact it's within walking distance for my teenage ones.

Marion Grey is the Manageress and I signed up to weekly emails from her so I know what the local is showing. I do not often go, but I think you are being mighty unfair slagging it off when they do their best, and again what is the point of slagging it off here and not directly to the Manageress. It tries to cater for all sorts with mother and baby shows and so on, and it does occasionally do screenings of local / art movies although shows all the big blockbusters too. It's not perfect but it is independent and cheaper than most and does try hard.

You slag it off on here, everyone jumps on the bandwagon, and before you know it, a bad reputation will stop people from going at all.

Next thing, there will be talk of it closing down & a 'save Peckham Multiplex' campaign because it is the only cinema in the area and would be greatly missed.

I very rarely go to the pictures nowadays, but if I did, I would go there, not only to support a local business, but due to the convenience.

I have good memories of taking my children there when they were younger, as a special treat on birthdays etc. Tickets were only ?3.99 on Tuesdays & if you got there early enough, you could have the pick of the best seats!

People should think of the consequences before posting such negative comments. There are enough places closing down these days, without losing our only cinema as well.

I am a fan of Peckham Multiplex. Tickets for ?4.99 mean it is cheap enough for my daughter and I to go fairly regularly and their large combo (popcorn and drink) is enormous, big enough to share, for about ?6.

Not everyone can afford to go to the more expensive cinemas and if Peckham closed, my daughter and I would be gutted.

Peckham Plex is a bit basic and sometimes smells of mothballs, but tickets only cost ?4.99 and you can't argue with that! I think 3D films are only ?5.99 a ticket, and that's a lot cheaper than the big cinemas. Peckham Plex has a Twitter account and they tweet regularly so it might be worth following them.

Shame Sainsbury's ever left this site. They spent a fortune on this building and it was much publicised following the closure of the last ever UK counter service store on Rye Lane in the early 80s. Was barely there a decade before it closed.

Louisa.

PeckhamRose Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Is that you Louisa bottom left in the glasses

> getting the basket?

> I also recall there was a Sainsburys there when I

> first moved to my flat (30 years ago yesterday

> btw) but now there is a Morrisons and the cinema

> is a GOOD thing.

Saucy Madame!

Louisa.

Aq Moon

What you posted on the Ivy House thread wouldn't exactly inspire me to go!

aquarius moon Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> You slag it off on here, everyone jumps on the

> bandwagon, and before you know it, a bad

> reputation will stop people from going at all.

>

> Next thing, there will be talk of it closing down

> & a 'save Peckham Multiplex' campaign because it

> is the only cinema in the area and would be

> greatly missed.

>

> I very rarely go to the pictures nowadays, but if

> I did, I would go there, not only to support a

> local business, but due to the convenience.

>

> I have good memories of taking my children there

> when they were younger, as a special treat on

> birthdays etc. Tickets were only ?3.99 on Tuesdays

> & if you got there early enough, you could have

> the pick of the best seats!

>

> People should think of the consequences before

> posting such negative comments. There are enough

> places closing down these days, without losing our

> only cinema as well.

There's no doubt, the carpets and upholstery need a deep clean, or replacement.

I also agree that the attitude of the staff could be improved upon, this is something that seems to have worsened in the recent past.

BUT, I still visit the cinema most weeks, and am very grateful that it exists. This is because; the ticket price is amazingly low, I find the sound and projection to be more than adequate, and most importantly, that a very good range of films are offered. There are interesting selections most weeks; films I have seen there this year include; Wadja, Mud, Side Effects, Trance, The Place Beyond the Pines, Behind the Candelabra, and The Iceman. These are not pop-corn blockbuster movies, there seems to be a genuine and sustained effort to screen films for a discerning, cine-literate audience.

I do sympathise with ash77; turning up for a film that was listed but not screened must have been very frustrating. But I can testify that I have never had this experience in 15 years of using the cinema.