South circ closed (Yesterday)

mako

Very sad indeed. Thoughts to her family.

I've been in London for just under 3 years now and have cycled everyday to work since. What really confuses me is people are allowed to cycle without any knowledge of the road code. I have a full drivers license and have driven in London many times. How can people be allowed then to cycle? They don't know what to look out for, blind spots etc. I just don't understand it really and I have a feeling it is the reason for some of these accidents.

Please tell me if I am wrong here!

We cannot speculate on who or what has caused this accident but this corner is a hot spot for accidents and I think something needs to be done. I use this stretch of road most days. Only a few weeks ago as I passed there was an overturned car in somebody's garden and frequently the bollards and barriers on the pavements are bent out of shape which I can only image is caused by vehicles crashing into them.

My thoughts are with both the driver and cyclists family. Such a terrible tragedy.

This area here has seen a few accidents recently and just further up by Dulwich College on the College Road/Dulwich Common intersection the barriers were mangled a few weeks ago too. I am very careful going along this road as school kids also come whizzing out of the park on their bikes onto the road without looking. Being a pedestrian is not always easy either as the crossing outside Dulwich Park is for some reason not always spotted by drivers speeding down this stretch.

Just went down there to lay some flowers for the woman who died. There's nothing obvious to show where it happened but I met a Standard reporter who pointed out the spot. Apparently, she came from Gallery Road and had just turned west onto Thurlow Park when it happened - so just west of where balanceforlife has marked the hotspot. It is a nasty spot though - even while I was stopped to lay the flowers, there were quite a few cars going at some speed around the curve.

That junction is a nasty place to cross by bike - and tricky enough in a car. The central filter lane into Gallery Rd fills up with westbound traffic very quickly.

But looking at that Standard picture, the location seems to be east of the junction (you can see the junction lines bottom left) so I wonder if the lady was coming from Alleyn Park to cross into Gallery Road?).

Either way, this is very sad, and seemingly more so on one's doorstep.

The central filter lane is also often used by cars trying to cut in too early (in both directions). There have been many hairy moments as I cycled into the correct filter lane then saw a car speeding up into the same one trying to cut to the corner or get out of the other lane too quickly.

It's an odd shaped junction I think for lights or roundabout but as the school is on this stretch and the train station there are many pedestrians so I'd really like to see some effective traffic calming measure in place. My vote would be for chicanes as I believe they work very well (better than speed humps) but as this is a "main road" I don't know what the criteria for calming measures are. And I don't know how many accidents have to take place before they take it more seriously.

Exmaple of chicanes ->> https://assets.digital.cabinet-office.gov.uk/static/hc/hc_rule_153_chicanes_may_be_used_to_slow_traffic_down.jpg

AJ