New street lights

Anyone else experiencing their house being lit up like Blackpool illuminations because of the new street lights? I am all for safe streets but these new lights shine directly into the front of our house. Is the council going to pay for blackout blinds?

yep, i got the same problem. the light shines directly into my sons bedroom & also mine...... not happy about it really, but at least i dont need to invest in lighting for the front of my house! im sure it'll be great for the early evenings we'll be having soon enough.........

At least your lights have been completely installed. My road still has a mixture of old and new because someone at LB Southwark thought it sensible to let EDF take its own time about completing the installation, instead of having to comply with a timetable set by the authority.

Have you tried speaking to the Councillor for your ward about the excessive lux level?

the light that beams through our windows is so bright I always think there's afull moon. MrMW74 dispairs at my howling every night.

The gapping holes in the pavement as we wait for the rest of the lights to be installed are not really that bright.

we have had these in Nunhead for years, we did ring the council on mass to complain. But they basically told us to %^&* off, and cancelled the regeneration plans. Now they are widening the pathways and creating more problems with the parking around Queens road, we complained. This time they told us that the money comes from europe and it had to be spent and That the residents living alongside these road were merely incidental and that we should all ^&** off. Also if we complained we would be branded as believing we lived in England and barcoded immediately.

To be fair, the old ones were very bright as well - we had to have two sets of curtains to stop our bedroom having a permanent orange glow after sundown.

Although fortunately for us the new one has been placed outside our neighbour's window rather than ours...

Was just wondering about this! I haven't had a proper nights sleep in weeks. Having said that, the street really did need more lights, and they have to put them somewhere. Hopefully the blinkers will solve the problem while still allowing enough light on the street.

• 4 weeks later...
By any standards the lights are absurdly bright. It's like Guantanamo Bay out there, and as for inside our house, even with blackout curtains the smallest chink floods the room. We should be trying to get rid of light pollution, not encourage it, although I suppose the illumination will help when the new surveillance cameras are installed...

Huggers Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> If you contact Southwark they will come and put

> blinkers on the light outside your house so it no

> longer shines directly in. Theyve done this on

> request to most houses on Nutbrook Street and it's

> much better.

xxxxxxx

Do you know which bit of Southwark to contact?

I've got the same problem :'(