Tips about starting reception?

verds

OK, anyone want to join me in admitting they're a little bit anxious about their little ones starting school?

And has anyone wise got any tips on how to make things go smoothly? Firstly, I'm wondering how bad the exhaustion will be - and how hungry they'll be when they get home. Should I feed her little sister a hot meal at lunchtime and then do a sarny tea for both later? Should I be worried that we've been too busy having fun that she's forgotten most of the phonics she learned at nursery?

Am I the only one asking these stupid questions? The holidays have been looooong, but now it all seems to be coming round too quickly...

Depends on what your little one used to as to how tired or not but would still offer a hot meal in the evening. School lunches are not all they cracked up to be no matter how lovely the sample menus you may have seen look. Go with the flow within the parameters of what you find acceptable re bedtime and food for first half-term or so with the whole adjustment.

The children will be at all levels from 'phonic fluent and beyond' to 'what is a phonic?'.

We go through it once per child but the teachers do it year in year out, trust them (unless your child desperately unhappy day in day out).

It's tough. I'm just about to do it for no 3 and my first is in secondary school so I should be v chilled but this is my last and we have had much more pre-school time together. I trust the school but I will miss her dreadfully :(

A new journey for you both but we didn't sign up for babies we signed up for growing developing individuals and you at a new exciting phase - good luck.

best tip - always bring a little snack when you pick your child up. some days they are just exhausted and sometimes they are really hungry too. it makes the journey home so much nicer.

be prepared for your child to be very tired at first. some days she will just need to collapse after school. be prepared as well for her to play up at home a bit - sometimes kids have to be very good all day long at school and they kind of 'use-up' all their good behaviour, particularly if it is difficult for them to do what they are expected to at school, i.e. sit still sometimes, concentrate, be quiet sometimes etc. "I can't be good any more" is what my son would cry when he got home. i used to find a walk or run around the park in the evening was a good idea.

also be prepared for your child to not want to talk about school at all. "dunno, can't remember" is the standard response I get when I pick them up and ask them what they've done. but don't worry - they will tell you, just not when you ask them to.

also after a term of struggling i finally found that it helped to have a proper routine when you get home - she was so tired and grumpy and i was so disappointed that she was like that - school was fine she was just so tired that first term. so we now have a routine of snack on pick up, milk when she gets in, she watches scooby doo, then she plays or does some drawing, then dinner, bit more telly (yes lots of telly) bath and bed. As she knows what is coming next it seems to help her when she is exhausted - but then she is that sort of child!

hope that makes sense!

and try not to worry - my daughter was the youngest in her year - very tired that first term or so - but LOVED reception. And now is desperate to go back to school. they do so many interesting things and in reception it's very play based. My daughter told me she was very nervous those first few days but she really wanted to be there.

Susypx

also agree with canela that they tell you stuff in their own time and definitely not on pick up! my daughter tells me when we are reading books just before bed.

Agree with everything already said. I would add, don't sign up to lots of after school activities in the first term, and if you do choose to do structured after school things try to limit it to one or two a week.

My kids do swimming lessons on a Sunday as they would be too exhausted to concentrate properly after school, but after school one does ballet and one has a music lesson. The rest of the week we come home, they have a snack, then just get on with being kids. A bit of tv, time on the trampoline etc.

I cook a proper meal in the evenings, as find they don't eat a huge amount at lunch time, my son in particular seems to choose the carbohydrate (rice, pasta) plus cucumber every day!

It's an exciting time, and the developmental leaps in the first year at school are amazing. They do start to grow up pretty quick once in the school system though.

I was expecting hunger and tiredness but neither of my kids were particularly ravenous or tired after school, ever.

I would agree that it makes sense to have an afternoon snack ready at pick up (reception children often have their lunch first so it might be a while since they ate, but they certainly used to be given a carton of milk as they left for the day

I would also agree not to book in loads of clubs and classes, just spend some time together. If they want to go to park or adventure playground with you and their new chums after school, great, if not go home and chill a bit.

Also (hard as it is) leave them be; children and teachers. Your little one will share what details they want when they want IME (my boy tells me almost nothing I have to ask the mum's of girls for info). At my children's school, you take your child into reception and stay with them for a few mins so you can get a pretty good handle on what is going on if you are alert!

Remember also the teachers day doesn't end when you pick up, they go back into the classroom assess each child's progress that day and plan the next, they arrive at 8 and leave at 6, if there is a problem they will let you know, a cheery wave to them when you collect your child will doubtless be appreciated! I hovered for info for the first few days, there was no need.

It's a really exciting time and it will be fine, enjoy!

Some other practical things, which seem obvious but it's surprising how many parents forget is to label clothes, especially if they have to wear school uniform and get them to practise putting on and off their clothes, coats and shoes by themselves. They will have to do this for themselves for P.E, etc.

Also, if they are having packed lunch make sure they can open the lunch box and any packets - you would be surprised how many children can't open a packet of crisps or take off the lid off a yoghurt pot.

You could talk to your child about the routine at school i.e I will leave you to play then you might sit on the carpet for a bit then play again then lunch then play then time to go home. The teacher will read some starting school stories to your child but you might want to get some of your own.

If you want to ask questions about their day, I've found it useful to ask 'what did you enjoy playing with?' or 'what was the best thing that happened today?'

Hurrah - such useful tips! Thanks, everyone. That's a good point about school lunches, so I think I'll carry on doing a proper meal in the evening. It's going to be weird without the constant chat all day long.

Must admit I'm feeling very emotional about my daughter starting school, obvs keeping it to myself! She seems unconcerned although doesn't start until Sept 12th so plenty of time to start worrying! She seems so little to be going to school and quite babyish compared to her peers?! Anyone else have a similar child? I'm a primary school teacher myself so you'd think I'd be less anxious, never taught Reception though.

I am expecting exhaustion in the Autumn term so won't plan anything too taxing yet.

I'm hoping school helps out my girl, she's got the most overwhelming amount of energy its totally ridiculous! I'm not looking forward to it at all, but praying for some exhaustion and routine. I keep thinking of 6 hours to myself everyday but at the same time SHE has been asking when she is starting for the whole 6 weeks. "Can we go to school tomorrow.. Can we go to school tomorrow". I cant believe I'm here at this point already, it seems like these years are going by without me realising. I'll admit this 6 weeks has been hard and cant wait for it to be over now. Now just hoping she will be good at school, I know she will cope, I'm sure I will too.

Do I sound anxious or just exhausted? Ha.

I've found it more emotional watching them move from reception to year 1. In reception they're still just little kids, doing little kid stuff - most of the day is pretty much "free range", they get messy, play with their friends and have a lovely time. I got a bit of a shock when my eldest moved to year 1 last September, and suddenly had a proper homework book, and spoke about sitting doing numeracy, literacy etc.

My 2nd is moving to year 1 next week and I can't imagine her sitting and concentrating for 5 minutes on that sort of thing!

Really helpful tips in here! Just wondering - did anyone find that having been to nursery made a difference to tiredness? My daughter has been doing 3 days a week 8-6 so the school day seems short in comparison but I guess it could still be more draining for them?

To add to above, shoes with Velcro (labelled too as several children may have the same school shoes albeit in different sizes, as I once discovered!)rather than laces and practice getting changed from uniform to PE kit and back again one or twice if you have the chance. Don't send in with a coat while it's warm and sunny as they will probably forget it/loose it and label any jumper/cardigan as it will be removed and accidentally swapped with those of their peers! I'd agree re a snack and the tiredness seems to be child dependant.

Renata

NEVER forget to bring a snack at pick up. I have made that fatal error too many times and it is not worth the grief! I think how tired you child will be depends on their character/age/general energy levels. My daughter took to school immediately, loves every minute and is not particularly tired out by the end of the day, but in reception some of her friends were dead on their feet by pick-up. I should add that she had been doing a full day at nursery five days a week for a term before starting reception, so that may have helped. Good luck!

My daughter had only ever done three mornings a week in nursery before she started school and coped okay - I think the tiredness comes more from the mental strain of learning new routines and having to navigate socially with so many new people and peers - my daughter was free-flowing in reception across four other classes - a potential 119 other children to interact/negotiate with!

I think it is also important to realise that 30 children in a class is a lot for one teacher and TA to get a handle on - it will probably take a few weeks for the teacher to 'know' your child.

And definitely immediate snacks and easy after-school routine for a good while - mine normally relax and watch a bit of TV when they come in before playing/reading etc. Even now with my eldest going into Year 2 we will try to have at least 2 nights a week with no activities or play dates to just hang out at home.

This is by a lovely poet Michael Laskey - he was the 'at home' parent to his children while his wife went to work as a GP. I love the image of talking under the blanket 'cave' which is what my son does so often under duvet's etc And the silence in the house and someone else speaking his full name - how strange that sounds.

Out of the warm primordial cave

of our conversations, Jack's gone.

No more chit-chat under the blankets

pegged over chairs and nipped in drawers.

Throughout his first five years an ear

always open, at worst ajar,

I catch myself still listening out

for sounds of him in the sensible house

where nothing stirs but the washing machine

which clicks and churns. I'm loosening his arms

clasped round my neck, detaching myself

from his soft protracted kiss goodbye.

Good boy, diminishing down the long

corridors into the huge unknown

assembly hall, each word strange,

even his name on Miss Cracknell's tongue.