Location, Location, Location - Thurs 5th Sept - East Dulwich

I liked the old CPT. But whenever I went it was almost empty. Now, whenever I go, it's mostly busy with people having a nice time. It looks far better than the old CPT did too. In my view this is an improvement. The alternative would probably have been another sad dead pub converted into flats. More often than not when I get home to East Dulwich I thank the lord I live here.

I remember a good night being possible (and being most definitely had) at CPT pretty much any night of the week, I've posted before about the characters in there between say 1990-1998, Dave's butchers, bric -a-brac guy along from where PlantNation is(was), I loved ED then and still do now. It's changed, some things better / some worse. I think recognition of / acceptance of / dissapointment in changes is down to who you are what you like and your age/aspirations - it's different for everyone. There's always a buzz for someone, and the nature of that buzz changes.

Some changes I notice: people more up their own arses about living here than 20 years ago, more shops selling crap (maybe I liked crap, then but don't now), finally got butchers and grocers back after the high st was trashed by sainsbury's, market's bigger, harder to park, generally speaking - people a little less friendly on the street, I'm tempted to say a bit more snobbery but that's just my take on the changing demo, weird thing in kids' playgrounds - parents totally segregate their behaviours with their kids from other parents/kids ie. kid falls over crying when parent is not nearby while other parents look at ground / look into their kids eyes and look busy / ignore crying kid - that didn't used to happen so much from my observation, neighbours less and less working class, pub pool tables gone, charming old lady Lily I used to see shopping on Lane has vanished, loads more options for music/arts, many more things but I ain't got all day. Beats Bow where I moved from, so thankful for that.

Had some fantastic nights in the CPT in the early 0ies, but it die a slow tragic death.

I'm glad there's life in the old bird, but it ain't for me (too bloody far for starters instead of being right outside of my front door as once was).

I think some of the other things you describe are changes in society rather than anything to do with a specific demograhic.

Fear of so much as talking to anyone else's child, leave alone coming to their aid has been instilled in us by a shrieking press and imposed on us by those quick to reach for their pitchforks sadly.

As dans le sac said

"Thou shalt not think that any male over the age of 30 that plays with a child that is not their own is a peadophile? Some people are just nice."

The comments about snobbery / people being 'up themselves' are interesting. Just going by this forum, I would say that most of the traffic in that regard is one way, and tends to involve looking badly upon any new arrivals or residents with a little money. I rarely hear people bad mouthing those that have lived in the area a long time or who are less well off. So I would argue it's more about fear of new comers / change than demonstrable snobbery on the part of the 'interlopers'.

When I semi-agreed with NewWave's observation that ED is "smug"... I think what I meant is similar to KK's description, i.e. people proud of having acheived sufficient income/wealth to buy a house here, and maybe subtly bragging about it. No big deal really, it just seems a bit strange, as when many of us came here it was specifically because it was a pretty cheap area.

For the record, I have nothing against the Great Exhibition, and I agree that the last uear or 2 of the CPT was a dying beast.

My point was simply that, for me, that was MY East Dulwich and my best memories of the place are based around that pub and a circle of friends that are largely gone. For this reason ED is a pkace of melancholy for me now because it reminds me if thise heady days when nithing was important except who you were meeting in the pub that evening.

Agree.

rahrahrah Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> The comments about snobbery / people being 'up

> themselves' are interesting. Just going by this

> forum, I would say that most of the traffic in

> that regard is one way, and tends to involve

> looking badly upon any new arrivals or residents

> with a little money. I rarely hear people bad

> mouthing those that have lived in the area a long

> time or who are less well off. So I would argue

> it's more about fear of new comers / change than

> demonstrable snobbery on the part of the

> 'interlopers'.

It belonged to a housing association.

I had a nose round it during one of the open days and there didn't seem to be anything major wrong with it (the roof looks as though its been sorted quite recently). It just needs the usual - new bathroom & kitchen and general smartening up. Nice little garden.

Agree-- trusting a civil servant to sell property...

They could go they probate root and appoint a lawyer but I imagine that's too slow / expensive vis-a-vis an auction. If you have the stomach for it, its probably the best way to buy a place assuming you are looking for a project.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...