Driving from East Dulwich to Edinburgh

I would advise joining the A5 from Edgware Road and staying on that through Kilburn, Cricklewood etc until you reach the M1. Join the motorway and keep going until you get to Milton Keynes. I'd advise a stop off here to see the concrete cows and indoor shopping centre. Rejoin the M1 at junction 14 and carry straight up until the turn off for Lincoln. Lovely cathedral. Rejoin and stay on the M1/A1(M) past Gateshead, maybe a stop off there? One of my favourite cities and you go last Northumberland National Park which is stunning, highly recommend a stop off here. Then carry on the A1 along the English/Scottish coast possibly stopping at Berwick-upon-Tweed? Until you finally reach Edinburgh. Should take no longer than seven and a half hours.

Louisa.

Literally driving back to ED from Edinburgh as I type!

My suggestion is M40, M42, M6.

The M6 turns into the A74m, then turn off this onto the A702, which is honestly one of the most stunning and scenic roads I have driven.

It's a bloody long way!

My geography is appalling, but I posted recently about a B&B near Durham, and its on a nature reserve - as its en-route "north" - I've copied/pasted the details below. If it is any use to you?

I?m not sure I can post this on here, so if not, please let me know and I will remove, if necessary (it may not be the right thread either).

If any of you are heading up towards Durham, I know of a lovely little B&B right on the edge of the Castle Eden Nature Reserve (part of English Heritage). It?s called ?The Little Sanctuary?, and its a peaceful little spot, I was fascinated watching all the little animals coming into the garden (its huge).

This is the website address [www.thelittlesanctuary.com], Helen the host is lovely, if you've any questions.

We drive up there a lot, and Tebay services in Cumbria is fab - play area for kids, duck pond, the wonderful lakes. In terms of routes we never go through London instead going by the north circ onto the M1 that way. Not everyone's cup of tea, but it works for us (through Rotherhithe tunnel, heading for Barking way, then onto M1 when you go past Green lanes). We tend to do M6 as we drive to central Scotland, and so we do the M6 toll. Have done the other route and it is lovely too. Enjoy the drive - the other posters are right - the scenery is beautiful!

http://www.westmorland.com/tebay

I second uncle glen - I commute to Leamington Spa twice a week it's two hours from ED give or take. I go through Oval/Vauxhall/Nine Elms then Chelsea Embankment. Obviously the earlier you get out of London the better, ideally be on the A4/Earls Court no later than 7am to avoid really hefty traffic. The M40 is a good fast motorway 99% of the time and will drop you onto the M6 or the toll road direct (I'd pay for the toll road personally).

Have a good trip!

Quickest: M1 to the M6 then A702

The A1 is much longer and only 1 or 2 lanes north of Newcastle. The A68 over Carter Bar from Newcastle is much better and stunning scenery (beats the A702 too).

The big quetion is how to get out of London!

Avoid rush hour and you should be able to make the M1 within 45 minutes to an hour of leaving ED (either via Victoria, or through Blackfriars and King's Cross then east to Marleybone and up through Kilburn).

In terms of stopping off, York is good. But then you may be better heading up the M1 to York, A1 to Newcastle thence A68.