A credible magazine for East Dulwich/local area?

Juness Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Maybe a website or blog would be better - could be

> updated on a daily basis and therefore more

> immediate news. Cheaper too!

xxxxxx

We already have this forum, with a "What's On" section - what's the point of duplication?

And as Foxy says, we already have an excellent mag - SE22.

Lots of local businesses etc use twitter and facebook too.

Anything else, and we're just heading for information overload/meltdown :)

Sue Wrote:

> What isn't "credible" about what we've got at the

> moment?

>

> I'm bemused.

Don't be 'bemused'. I'm talking about a publication that is properly designed, properly written with engaging features, creative photography, illustration, profiles, general local interests and a thought provoking read. Do please tell me where I should be looking to get all of these?

Dog duck Wrote:

> Sue Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > What isn't "credible" about what we've got at

> the

> > moment?

> >

> > I'm bemused.

>

>

> Don't be 'bemused'. I'm talking about a

> publication that is properly designed, properly

> written with engaging features, creative

> photography, illustration, profiles, general local

> interests and a thought provoking read. Do please

> tell me where I should be looking to get all of

> these?

You mean something with critical and literary merit? As opposed to 85% advertorials masking underlying commercial interests you have to wade through before you get to the 15% that's of interest?

Sounds great in principle but if it's to wash its face money has to come into it somewhere along the line. Printing and distribution costs etc. Then there is the challenge that printed media is slowly but surely dying. Online is cheaper and more timely way to distribute content.

That said, I still think there is power in a something physical coming through the letterbox that's up to date and interesting. It wouldn't have to be fancy, just a newsletter type format with what's on locally, new shops , deals, family stuff but more frequent and lightweight than Living South or SE22. You'll still need income from ads though.

what was the name of a magazine for Dulwich-Peckham area launched a year or two back?

The Reliant?

That didn't last much more than a couple of issues, partly because of the reasons Mr Ben gives but more crucially... just not enough happens around here to warrant such a magazine. Plenty of good and interesting things do happen (Bussey building and the concerts in Peckham being good examples) ... but just. Not. Enough

ah - here's the thread

http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/read.php?20,829713,831004#msg-831004

There used to be a monthly magazine published by the Foundation for Human Development around 10-11 years ago called the Peckham News or something along those lines which covered ED. I remember some of the local shops used to stock it and it was free. It was the sister publication to a Crystal Palace title.

The SE22 magazine has a great deal of useful information in it, and Angela does a great job not just of editing the magazine but of co-ordinating the very successful annual Dulwich Festival Fair on Goose Green (for which so far as I know she does not get paid).

Dog Duck, you say you are looking to produce a magazine that is "properly designed, properly written with engaging features, creative photography, illustration, profiles, general local interests and a thought provoking read."

Ok - great idea. How do you intend to finance its production and distribution unless you have paid advertising?

And what's wrong with local businesses advertising in a local magazine, anyway? Seems like a good thing to me.

Or do you intend to make people pay for your mag? Good luck with that.

edhistory Wrote:

> Do you mean something like the Dulwich Society

> publication?

>

> In the absence of any activity by the East Dulwich

> Society our neighbouring Dulwich Society is now

> publishing an increasing amount of material on

> East Dulwich.

>

> John K

xxxxxx

Yes, I noticed that when I read the latest issue of their magazine at the dentist last week.

It was all interesting stuff, but I don't think it's the kind of magazine Dog Duck is talking about .....

Parts of town where there is a scene happening are ripe for a cult, fanzine type offering. I quite enjoyed the free copies of the Shoreditch Twat back in the day as handed out at the 333 club and various local fried chicken outlets.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoreditch_Twat

Any boho creative claims that East Dulwich once had pale in comparison to what's now going on in Peckham.

Dog duck Wrote:

> Sue Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > What isn't "credible" about what we've got at

> the

> > moment?

> >

> > I'm bemused.

>

>

> Don't be 'bemused'. I'm talking about a

> publication that is properly designed, properly

> interests and a thought provoking read. Do please

> tell me where I should be looking to get all of

> these?

The very concept that a small, not very pretty place like ED, has a requirement for its own magazine, has got to be evidence that the place or people in it have lost the plot. Buy a newspaper. There's plenty to choose from.

Alan Medic Wrote:

> Buy a newspaper.

> There's plenty to choose from.

I disagree Alan. On Saturday in everyones favourite central EDW 24 hour corner store LONDIS they had sold out the FT Weekend and The Times and in their place had 103 copies of The Guardian.

Sue Wrote:

> The SE22 magazine has a great deal of useful

> information in it, and Angela does a great job not

> just of editing the magazine but of co-ordinating

> the very successful annual Dulwich Festival Fair

> on Goose Green (for which so far as I know she

> does not get paid).

>

> Dog Duck, you say you are looking to produce a

> magazine that is "properly designed, properly

> interests and a thought provoking read."

>

> Ok - great idea. How do you intend to finance its

> production and distribution unless you have paid

> advertising?

>

> And what's wrong with local businesses advertising

> in a local magazine, anyway? Seems like a good

> thing to me.

>

> Or do you intend to make people pay for your mag?

> Good luck with that.

I don't recall saying that there should'nt be local advertising or sponsored pages or features? I do understand how a magazine can function including printing and distribution. I also understand that SE22 contains bits of useful information, but it's look and feel is inadequate at best. With regards to editing, I guess we can all have our own opinions on that subject. What has the organisation of the Goose Green Fair got to do with anything?

dog duck

I'm trying to appreciate the concept of the magazine at the moment

two questions:

- would this magazine be free and dropped through everone's letterboxes, thus paid for by advertising?

- can you give an example of a similar magazine, based elsewhere?