Cuppa with a Copper

Pugwash

Dulwich Hill SNT will be at Christ Church Barry Road at 11 am Monday 21st October. They were previously holding these meetings at a pub in Forest Hill Road,

It is an informal event and an opportunity for local residents and businesses to discuss concerns etc.  Meet in the café area

Obviously should there be an emergency/riot/protest etc - the above may not take place. 

Pleased to announce that the above went ahead which gave a few residents of Dulwich Hill the opportunity to meet 2 of our local police team.  Car and mobile phone thefts were concerns raised by local residents.

Next Cuppa will take place on Monday  25th November 2024 at 11am  Make a note in your diary

• Thanks 2

It is to do with shift patterns, they were  working 10 am - 7 pm. Many of those who spoke with the team today were retired. They hold meetings in the evenings every 3 months. The next one is the first week in December at 6.30. I believe it is the 4th but will double check and publish details nearer the time. Some time ago people complained that evening meetings were difficult to attend as could not get babysitters and wanted day time meetings. Being half term there were folk with children in the café, but were not interested in talking with the officers.

Would it not be possible to organise a team or zoom meeting so more local residents have the benefit / even if it is once a quarter?together with once a month face to face especially as local crime is c on the increase.

So many local residents are missing out - housebound, families, people who work.

Have to say, quite surprised that this ward and police have the time to do this. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, beansprout said:

Would it not be possible to organise a team or zoom meeting so more local residents have the benefit / even if it is once a quarter?together with once a month face to face especially as local crime is c on the increase.

So many local residents are missing out - housebound, families, people who work.

Have to say, quite surprised that this ward and police have the time to do this. 

A Zoom meeting is a  great idea. It would be much more convenient, though it possibly has other downsides, eg it may exclude people who aren't familiar with Zoom or don't have the necessary technology.

Though tbh - and making a huge assumption - I wouldn't have thought there were many of them in this area.

Edited by Sue

One of the benefits of the live meetings is being able to take one of the PCS aside for a quiet word, to mention something you'd prefer to be discrete about. That may be a neighbour issue, or something more concerning. Or maybe it's simply a question you might be embarrassed to ask too openly. Zoom meetings don't support that. PCs use these events as sources of local information and to get an informal look at people. Again more difficult in Zoom where you have less opportunity to 'read' body language. There are meetings where Zoom is a good addition to, or even substitute for live, but I don't think these are them. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Penguin68 said:

One of the benefits of the live meetings is being able to take one of the PCS aside for a quiet word, to mention something you'd prefer to be discrete about. That may be a neighbour issue, or something more concerning. Or maybe it's simply a question you might be embarrassed to ask too openly. Zoom meetings don't support that. PCs use these events as sources of local information and to get an informal look at people. Again more difficult in Zoom where you have less opportunity to 'read' body language. There are meetings where Zoom is a good addition to, or even substitute for live, but I don't think these are them. 

Fair enough points.  I've never been to one.

It wouldn't occur to me that a meeting like that was the right place to have a "quiet word" with someone!

Maybe the purposes of them should be better publicised, or maybe I just haven't been paying attention.

I'm a bit worried about your comment about "getting an informal look at people".

Why would they need to do that? Surely it's a relatively small self selected group of people who attend these meetings?

Edited by Sue

6 minutes ago, Sue said:

I'm a bit worried about your comment about "getting an informal look at people".

If a topic is raised, say concerns about street dealing, and everyone is engaged, interested and looks involved that tells you something, if everyone apart from the questioner looks bored or confused maybe it isn't a burning local issue. You can 'read' live meetings better than Zoom normally,when most people are just looking at their screen/ camera. And not actually at the speaker. 

15 minutes ago, Penguin68 said:

If a topic is raised, say concerns about street dealing, and everyone is engaged, interested and looks involved that tells you something, if everyone apart from the questioner looks bored or confused maybe it isn't a burning local issue. You can 'read' live meetings better than Zoom normally,when most people are just looking at their screen/ camera. And not actually at the speaker. 

How many local people are usually at these meetings? 

6 hours ago, Penguin68 said:

No more than 4-5 at one time, for the ones I've been in, but people do leave and go as it's informal ('cuppa with a copper' is a good description). This is different from formal meetings where reports are made.

That's surely not anywhere near enough to get a feeling for what local people think about a particular issue?

It's not a survey, but it's not bad that local law enforcement talk informally with local people, who aren't either current victims of crime or current perpetrators. Remember their jobs don't normally involve ordinary joes. 

What's an ordinary joe? I've had many interactions with the police due to my behaviours. Most of the time I've cooperated the best I can and supported their efforts. Am I an ordinary joe, an extaordinary joe, or a Joey? Which box do I jump in next...

We are policed 'by consent' and by a civilian force, seen as part of the community. Police need to be spending more time in the community, not less. We will never replace the 'beat copper'; sadly, this may be the closest we will now get.