You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Latest Discussions

• Looking for a kallax unit 1 x 4 unit in white, thanks 
    • Whilst not, technically, a scam, as such, the desires that Thames Water had to put us all on water meters, with the ability then to raise revenues on a household basis (whilst pretending that some houses would see charges fall) - they said this price rationing would 'save' almost as much water as if they actually repaired their own pipes which lose so much annually - combined with the inaccuracy of 'smart' meters in general - is as close to a corporate scam as it is possible to get without actually breaking the law!  Indeed Thames Water is about as squeaky clean as the filth they pour into our rivers on a regular basis.
    • There have been incidences of real subsidence, of course, in East Dulwich, and building on a clay substrate clearly has issues, but I bought my house nearly 40 years ago with a 'crack' in one wall, which has subsequently pretty well closed  and disappeared. Insurance companies (a) hate to pay out and (b) like to charge as much as they can; so supporting a 'history' of local subsidence is absolutely in their best interests. Of course get a proper, independent, survey done and take engineering advice. There are lots of good reasons for the appearance of cracks (the presence or recent absence of biggish trees for one),  which are not indicators of significant topological movement which puts the structure in jeopardy. And with the absence of industry (particularly brewing) local water tables in the Thames basin have risen.  But there is little evidence, which I have seen, for large scale engineering works locally to address subsidence issues (there was one a 100-200 yards or so away from me on a hill about 20 years ago). So don't worry unnecessarily. Oh, and some builders are still seeing signs of house movement as a consequence of war-time bomb damage following V weapon strikes. Which does need repair but which isn't, in any strict sense, subsidence.
    • Week 8 points...   Week 8 table...  
Home
Events
Sign In

Sign In

Or sign in with one of these services

Search
    Search In