Anywhere open for lunch on Christmas Day this year??

Sue

11 hours ago, malumbu said:

Babur but maybe sold out

Thanks, but there's no public transport on Christmas Day.

I looked at the  Plough (thanks Beansprout), but last time we ate there the food was truly  appalling.

And we once went to a Burns Night there, admittedly years ago, which was like something out of Fawlty Towers.

So I don't really want to risk  paying  £85 a head plus drinks!

Oh well, live and learn, clearly I should have looked at all this long ago. We are at home this year, so will be starting the day  with drinks at the lovely Ivy House.

The Clock House (for some reason now The Clock House Tavern) has always been open on Christmas afternoon, so we thought we would book lunch there instead of getting home and having to cook, but the new management has decided not to open on Christmas or Boxing Day.

And I've missed the Waitrose (sorry) slots for the days when their Christmas food is available. Also M&S are either no longer providing a pick up in Lordship Lane for Christmas orders or else their slots are all full too.

So basically this is very poor organisation on my part and I only have myself to blame.

The only upside is that  I won't have to spend at least two days away from home  trying to avoid "discussions" with various relatives with different views from mine about various important things in the news.

Edited by Sue

10 hours ago, Sue said:

Thanks, but there's no public transport on Christmas Day.

I looked at the  Plough (thanks Beansprout), but last time we ate there the food was truly  appalling.

And we once went to a Burns Night there, admittedly years ago, which was like something out of Fawlty Towers.

So I don't really want to risk  paying  £85 a head plus drinks!

Oh well, live and learn, clearly I should have looked at all this long ago. We are at home this year, so will be starting the day  with drinks at the lovely Ivy House.

The Clock House (for some reason now The Clock House Tavern) has always been open on Christmas afternoon, so we thought we would book lunch there instead of getting home and having to cook, but the new management has decided not to open on Christmas or Boxing Day.

And I've missed the Waitrose (sorry) slots for the days when their Christmas food is available. Also M&S are either no longer providing a pick up in Lordship Lane for Christmas orders or else their slots are all full too.

So basically this is very poor organisation on my part and I only have myself to blame.

The only upside is that  I won't have to spend at least two days away from home  trying to avoid "discussions" with various relatives with different views from mine about various important things in the news.

Have you checked which Indian restaurants are open?  Pizza GoGo in East Dulwich Grove once told me they are always open. 

Have heard from several people who have booked into Plough, that food was not good. Included 2 friends who held a funeral reception there and although given the numbers attending- insufficient food was supplied.

We have been on our own on Christmas Day for the past couple of years and dined very well on M & S ready meals - splashed out on some of their 'luxury food'.

Only dined out on Christmas Day once at a pub. In laws did not want to cook so booked us in to a Harvester. Service very slow, food ok but having allowed 2-3 hours for meal, had to forgo dessert and coffee as our mini cab had arrived. 

• Sad 1

We've booked at the Cherry Tree now, at vast expense, thanks for the post Louisemurray.

Will live on bread and water for a while afterwards 🤣

Haven't eaten there for a long time, but the Christmas Day menu looks good and recent reviews seem good.

One of the worst meals I ever had in my life was a Sunday roast at the Dog in Dulwich Village, which I believe is related to the Plough? I may be wrong. 

I belatedly remembered (after booking at The Cherry Tree) a Christmas many  decades back when my father took the whole (large) family to a meal in Streatham which was  accompanied by an Elvis impersonator.

The food was not memorable, but singing along to Elvis more than made up for it 🤣

Edited by Sue
  • Haha 1

Good luck!  A feature of the new millennium is pubs pretending to be restaurants, but just serving generic food, with much of it, if not all of it, preprepared.  And at near restaurant prices.  Sad that when I eat in pubs my expectations are low ...

But.... Sometimes it's a nice surprise and hope Cherry Tree delivers.  Bit late but the Waverley in Nunhead is good in my experience.