Marks & Spencer sandwiches - wasteful, flimsy and damaged food packaging and freshness of imported apples

Has anyone else had problems with M&S sandwich packaging?  I’m referring to the ones in the boxes, not the wraps. I don’t buy from there every week.  I’ve bought from the one near ED station, Kings College and St Thomas. This has been going on for a while - several years.  Either the top detaches from the main part and is open and or a slit appears in the cellophane which appears to have become increasingly flimsy over the years.  I talked to a staff member at Kings M&S yesterday  (he is leaving their employment next week so seemed happy to talk) who admitted that they have to throw away many sandwiches on a daily and weekly basis because of these problems.  I have in the past contacted M&S head office whose attitude was tough, just take it back to where you bought it (or to another M&S) for  a refund.  I’ve seen sandwiches with damaged open cellophane sitting on the shelves which I’ve pointed out to the staff and they are then removed  and disposed of and I’ve had the cellophane split on a short journey from the shop to where it’s been eaten. I bought 3 sandwiches yesterday and after leaving the Kings premises,  all three  had developed damage by the time they were supposed to be eaten.

Kings M&S also sells lots of non UK apples which go bad very quickly or are already damaged by the time you unwrap the packaging which is usually impossible to see through the packaging. Last week I had one staff member replace damaged apples he’d noticed in my basket  but the ones he’d given me in replacement were also damaged which I’d only noticed when I got home. These have probably been stored for months and months.  I understand that Kings M&S is a franchise.  I haven’t used the larger M&S on LL in a while so not sure if they have the same problems. 

Got a sandwich at St. Thomas' Hospital M & S on 7th October, when opened noticed that a slice of bread missing - in fact had 3/4 of sandwich. Could not be bothered to take back as I did not have card on me that day and paid in cash to the only staff member there manning the tills.

When I moved to London many moons ago I was shocked that people bought sandwiches.  Surely, I thought, everybody makes their own.  Still haven't got my head around it.

I'd be disappointed if M&S threw sandwiches away.  Pret for example is known to donate unsold ones to charity.  https://foodservicefootprint.com/pret-a-manger-fighting-food-waste/

Maybe I should write to Ellie asking her to speak to the Food minister.