South Dulwich?

jim_the_chin

Saw this first when out walking with my granddaughters a few years back.

We had already had a discussion about why there was a North, West and East Dulwich but not South Dulwich, and then we came across a map or sign (can't remember which) on a footpath with South Dulwich on it.

I've lived round here for decades, and never knew!

Now, there's West Norwood, South Norwood .... North Norwood wouldn't make sense, but why no East Norwood?!

Edited by Sue

18 minutes ago, the_hermit said:

And Croydon, Acton, Harrow, Finchley, Kensington.  I think they all miss a compass point: North, South, East, South and East respectively.

Exactly - it is an unspoken rule. South Dulwich isn’t allowed. It should be East Gipsy Hill or North Crystal Palace. 

Edited by Hen123

12 hours ago, Sue said:

We had already had a discussion about why there was a North, West and East Dulwich but not South Dulwich, and then we came across a map or sign (can't remember which) on a footpath with South Dulwich on it.

I've lived round here for decades, and never knew!

The sign might have been at St Stephen's Church on College Road, next to Sydenham Hill Station. There's a footpath along the side of the church, above the railway tunnel, connecting College Road with Kingswood Estate. That's the only reference to "South Dulwich" I've ever seen, and it's been there for years. 

5 hours ago, Pink Panther said:

The sign might have been at St Stephen's Church on College Road, next to Sydenham Hill Station. There's a footpath along the side of the church, above the railway tunnel, connecting College Road with Kingswood Estate. That's the only reference to "South Dulwich" I've ever seen, and it's been there for years. 

Yes, I think it was there, or at least in that general area, though I have no idea why we would have been walking  there, unless we had been in the woods and decided to walk home a different way!

Edited by Sue

13 hours ago, the_hermit said:

And Croydon, Acton, Harrow, Finchley, Kensington.  I think they all miss a compass point: North, South, East, South and East respectively.

It might not have a tube station, but South Acton is definitely a place

Edited by Jamesh31

27 minutes ago, Jamesh31 said:

It might not have a tube station, but South Acton is definitely a place

South Acton Station is on the Richmond branch of London Overground, formerly the North London line. District line trains used to run there until 1959, I think it was a shuttle service from Acton Town.

4 hours ago, Jenijenjen said:

South Acton Station is on the Richmond branch of London Overground, formerly the North London line. District line trains used to run there until 1959, I think it was a shuttle service from Acton Town.

Interesting... I couldn't find any districts where all four compass points are used, but now I have!

Harrow East is a constituency, but is it a place?!