Callows - Locksmiths - Moving

I recently had some keys cut by Callows and saw, from a flyer in the shop, that they are moving to Melbourne Grove. Their rent has been hiked up enormously on the LL property apparently. Who is going to be able to afford rent on somewhere like that?

A real shame, wish there was some form of rent control on highstreets, otherwise all that will happen is local traders will get priced out of the market and it will become a generic street or worse still an empty shop...

I'm not stupid enough to ingore the market dynamics of simple supply vs.demand but really wish it wasn't like this.

Good they are staying local even if its not on the main high street anymore. However, its a shame that valuable services like a locksmith can't afford high street rents. The high street will end up just shops and restaurants which I love but you also need DIY stores, a locksmith, shoe repairs, dry cleaners etc. They may not be as exciting as a new restaurant but certainly more necessary.

Good shop with helpful staff. Well at least they will still be in ED.

The 'Pessimistic' ?? Fox has been predicting the demise of Lordship Lane for some time now.

Well the likes of those Favouring the ?12.00 burger and ?12.00 bottle of Craft beer only have themselves to blame.

The Snob Element has helped to establish a situation where only those places charging such prices can afford

the rent and rates.

Well now the Greedy Landlords or raising the bar. Even those places can no longer compete.

The Bubble has Burst.

So more generic stores , estate agents.. or indeed Closed down Shops.

Not the first time in the History of Lordship Lane / North Cross Road.

DulwichFox

I always think why isn't the Threshers being rented, better to get ?20k than ask for ?40k and have it empty for years.

It's been said before on the forum before that the lease has some odd provisions that it has to be used as an off-licence and the landlord won't change it.

Opposite the locksmiths, the old photographic/print shop next to Kaival's newsagent is still empty (despite signs saying it has been let) and soup dragon (as was) is host to yet another pop-up shop full of tat so shop premises on this part of LL hardly at a premium - unless greedy bastard landlords are holding out for the Poundland money?*

*The locksmith premises letting includes garages at the rear so Poundland could be on the way.

DulwichFox's comment about minimal rates isn't correct. Businesses get 3 months exemption and are then liable for 100% of the rates, unless the rateable value is below ?2,600, which I doubt any commercial property in SE22 is. Residential property used to get a six month exemption from council tax with an extension if it required refurbishment. Since April 2013 this is at the discretion of the LA and all London boroughs now demand 100% from the first day the property is empty. Some LA are increasing the council tax to 150% after 2 years.

DulwichFox Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Good shop with helpful staff. Well at least they

> will still be in ED.

>

> The 'Pessimistic' ?? Fox has been predicting the

> demise of Lordship Lane for some time now.

>

> Well the likes of those Favouring the ?12.00

> burger and ?12.00 bottle of Craft beer only have

> themselves to blame.

>

> The Snob Element has helped to establish a

> situation where only those places charging such

> prices can afford

> the rent and rates.

>

> Well now the Greedy Landlords or raising the bar.

> Even those places can no longer compete.

>

> The Bubble has Burst.

>

> So more generic stores , estate agents.. or

> indeed Closed down Shops.

>

> Not the first time in the History of Lordship

> Lane / North Cross Road.

>

> DulwichFox

I really doubt that it will be another estate agent. Surely they are all represented on LL already and in any event they will work out soon that, since the emergence of the internet and the likes of Zoopla/Rightmove, they are wasting their (or indeed our) money with high street offices - the tide is already turning in ED with companies like No Flies and Fish Need Water (although I note the latter have succumbed to an office recently).

The Iceland debacle - which will create (possibly) another blighted retail spot in the Lane - will exacerbate the situation - Callows (I am presuming) can't afford the rent-rise because it's not getting the footfall and custom to generate sufficient revenues (it's locksmithing business, installing locks etc., isn't so location dependent). As retail 'holes' appear in the street so will footfall fall away (the bars and restaurants are a different type of trade) - making high rents for retail stores increasingly non-viable.

It is a moot point whether a small M&S would have been sufficient to stimulate greater retail footfall and have a positive knock-on to other retailers - but the apparent future of that site is clearly not going to be retail beneficial to LL.

Regular small independent retailers have to make their money (often) out of single sites - where they can't they will move or fold.

dumpertruck Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> maxxi Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> host to yet another pop-up shop full of tat

>

> actually host to a place flogging some rather nice

> furniture

If your idea of nice is ?60 for a single 1970s dining room chair and a collection of 'retro' crap from the city's charity shops with a hefty mark-up then yes, 'nice'.

It is a real shame that Callows are leaving LL, but as already mentioned, good that they're not leaving the area. There does seem to be a pattern at the moment of commercial landlords seeking big rent increases,forcing out established businesses, and then finding that big paying tenants are not (immediately) to be found. The market is clearly due for a 'correction' but I would favour a business rate regime that has a strong disincentive to leaving properties vacant.

BTW, I can't believe that anyone is still trotting out this old nonsense:

"The Snob Element has helped to establish a situation where only those places charging such prices can afford

the rent and rates."

People have money, they spend it on what they want. Some have more, some have less. Are you suggesting that if there were more people in ED with less cash it would be healthier for shops?

The trouble with ED is this. Estate agents have spent years telling us about how the place has 'arrived' and house prices continue to rise etc. This misleading hype then leads landlords of shops to presume that a rate hike will attract bigger, wealthier chains to the area. Aside from the fact LL lacks enough retail space suitable for any such high rent payers and the lack of footfall in what is still a relatively inaccessible area of zone 2, the fact remains that ED is NOT Notting Hill, it is not Richmond, it is not Islington - the collapse in house prices in 2008 and lack of high end spenders in the area indicates to most sensible people this area is often seen as a fairly comfortable area that is quite fragile to any big economic downturns - unlike some safe areas of gentrified London. ED is not the big investors safe haven the estate agents may like you to think it is, and probably never will be!

Louisa.