Suspicious activity on Court Lane, increasing crime from Southwark’s LTN

JMK

I've not read every post in the thread but does anyone think crime all over the country might have something to do with fourteen years of Dickensian madness - or is it all because of some boxes in the Village...

Edited by SpringTime

Springtime - we will never know but what we can say is that in Dulwich Village crime is increasing and the types of crime that are behind the rise are the types of crime where criminals prey on individuals and don't want a lot of people around to interfere.

Edited by Rockets

4 minutes ago, SpringTime said:

It's "prey."

It is indeed and duly corrected.

What do you mean we all need to pay our way - don't we do that already?

What else can be done to target the crime - do people think the police and council are currently doing enough? Parts of Dulwich are becoming crime hotspots yet nothing ever seems to be done.

Edited by Rockets

There are in fact two collecting bodies for crime statistics, the police (who record only what is reported to them) and a government survey of the general population, asking them of their recent experience of crime.

Generally, and not surprisingly, higher figures come from this survey as crime can go unreported when there is little or no material gain to be had from reporting it, (e.g. damage or loss below a threshold for insurance pay out) and no anticipation that the police will act if it is reported. Virtually all shoplifting falls into this category. 

4 hours ago, Rockets said:

It is indeed and duly corrected.

What do you mean we all need to pay our way - don't we do that already?

What else can be done to target the crime - do people think the police and council are currently doing enough? Parts of Dulwich are becoming crime hotspots yet nothing ever seems to be done.

Pay up or reap what you sow.

In Finland if you're fined for speeding you pay up according to what you owe depending on your wages. Good.

Of course the police and council aren't doing enough. Despite the frustrating inefficiency there's absolutely no way they can cope. Oliver and Olivia Twist are being delivered in increasing delinquency. It won't stop until you dig in. We pay balls-all tax and it's got to change.

As a massive Francophile I've learned that from a cheap, ropey and yet incredibly rich nation, by raising tax you can turn half of your nation into something that looks and runs like Switzerland. Oh, and they pay more tax, but are paid more, and work less. 

Go back to your Daily Express x

Edited by SpringTime

What has the Daily Express got to do with it? Are you saying this because you think this thread has some scare story element to it (a la the Express).

The fact remains crime is going up in the Dulwich Village ward and paying more taxes or being more French isn't going to slow the rate of increase any time soon.

The Daily Express comment was made, I expect, because some of the posts come over a little reactionary.

But some of the discussion is incredibly simplistic, blaming for example a possible increase in some crimes due to improved street lighting and less vehicles.

It's all rather complex, both the crime stats but also the factors behind it.

Crims are often clever so and so's switching to wherever money can be made the easiest way, with the least chance of being caught. Many have switched to online/ID crime.

There is the organised vs casual, local, national and international.  Casual could be naughty youth, addicts, or those just desperate for money/clothes/food.

Planned vs opportunist - ie it is unlocked so I will nick it, example being scrappies nicking stuff from my garden.

Cost of living, impact of Covid, the general feel bad factor as the world goes to war, exacerbated by climate change meaning mass movement of people, erosion of social care, mental health support, community groups, as pointed out under 14 years of Tory government and the unnecessary austerity

Full and failing prison system

Broken families and the like

Lack of, or perceived lack of, career opportunities

The general vulnerability of individuals band communities left behind, leading to things such as county lines

The demand for illegal drugs including the professional classes

Demand for stolen goods, including no doubt at times the professional classes.

That's just off the top of my head, I'm no expert and have no easy solutions.