Royal Mail - late deliveries - what is happening?

On 12/10/2024 at 10:55, Kathleen Olander said:

Sorting office is Highshore Road, Peckham.

It is the Delivery Office (DO) which is in Peckham - Sorting Offices (where mail goes when collected from Post Boxes) are entirely different - and there are now only one or two in London. Sorting does take place at Peckham - but it is for post waiting only to be sorted into 'walks'. Sorry, it's just a technicality but it does mean that issues we have with delivery locally are not mirrored into problems when we ourselves post locally - that doesn't go anywhere near Peckham when collected (unless it is later for local delivery, and then it comes back to Peckham from the Sorting Office).

12 hours ago, tjbuilders said:

A posties job used to be respectable. Not now,  they employ buck eedjits who will deliver letters at six o’clock in the evening like an old style paper boy.

That's quite offensive. 'Late-in-the-day' deliveries are made by posties working overtime to clear the backlogs caused by local mismanagement - granted they will be working on overtime rates, but they will have been working for many hours. And will have walked many miles.

• Like 1

Is this something people are actually doing? Getting bank statements etc delivered in boxes? Am a journalist at Southwark News by the way. 

On 12/10/2024 at 05:13, Dulwich dweller said:

I have been waiting for a particular letter for five working days now. Annoyingly it's my new pin number for my bank card but still no sign of it. Im just by the Gardens and have only seen the postman once this week. I spoke to him to find out why we see very little of them, get no deliveries for a week then all of a sudden a pile of letters drop through the letterbox on a Sunday afternoon. Some of that post is weeks old going by the dates on the letters.

The postman informed me that this particular round- Gardens, kelmore, Oakhurst etc is really messed up mate and we're really only doing parcels now and don't really do letters. That pissed me off a bit so i asked him do the PO no longer deem letters as important or indeed worthy of posting anymore? I'm again informed that it's a mess mate and that he'd have a look in the sorting office and drop my post in if he finds anything.

I have zero hope or faith in getting my delivery unless i contact my bank and ask them to resend my A4 sheet of paper but this time in a huge bloody box. Their attitude suggested that they don't give a flying,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and that i'm some sort of lunatic for expecting a  postman to be delivering,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,letters. I reckon he'd have been less offended if i'd asked him to lend me £300.

ssss

Would love to know what posties in the area think about how badly managed the delivery service now is and is willing to post updates on the forum. Anonymously would be fine, of course. Or could a local journalist go and investigate each of our local sorting offices and build up a picture about what's happening beyond the obvious chaos of deliveries. May be the local branch/s of the CWU would know?

We had no issues with our local post, an area on the edge of East Dulwich, until about a month ago, and now ordinary post (not tracked) is delivered completely randomly and days/weeks after when it was expected - even first class stamped items don't appear - so no point in paying for this non-existent but expensive service.

About the Czech billionaire buyout - does anyone know if that means the idea of mutualising the service has been rejected?

40 minutes ago, Herbie Russell Southwark News said:

Is this something people are actually doing? Getting bank statements etc delivered in boxes? Am a journalist at Southwark News by the way. 

ssss

I doubt it. But I was walking around that area in the afternoon a couple of weeks back, and saw a Royal Mail van with the back doors open and two posties looking at what was inside as if defeated by the huge load there. It was completely stuffed with crates full of mail - not just an accessible layer that could be lifted out. Sure, it could be for delivery to a number of different areas - but there wasn't one of those boxes on wheels nearby that could be attached to lamposts for a postie to collect from. So that suggests at least some of the crates would have been for the immediate area. Wonder if any were delivered to local addresses that day?

• Like 1

The post is only focussed on parcels so maybe I should ask for all post to be sent via a box.  It would probably be cheaper to send  a  letter in a parcel that is tracked rather than pay 10.00 for a letter to be sent recorded delivery 🚚 🚚 🚚 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Herbie Russell Southwark News said:

ssss

Not that i'm aware of 😁It was a joke based on the fact out postman now only delivers parcels.

As most readers will be aware, this is an issue that has persisted since the closure of the East Dulwich sorting office.  I have been complaining to the Royal Mail periodically over the course of summer, and finally raised it with Ellie Reeves as our new MP, when a bulk delivery was received containing PCN's, court letters relating to those PCN's, hospital appointments and much that has been referenced by other forum posters!

It appears this was acted on swiftly, and ER paid a visit to the Peckham Sorting Office, which is welcomed, and indeed, we have received some post, but it is sporadic, and it is very obvious that non essential mail (for example magazines/periodicals that have differing publishing dates) are being lumped together and delivered in a single weekly delivery.  My father (Peckham Rye borders of SE22) has not had mail for 3 weeks now.

My concern is, rather than admitting that the closure of the East Dulwich sorting office has caused systemic issues that have not been addressed, The Royal Mail continues to blame staff sickness and recruitment problems.

In my view, they continue to lie to their paying customers, and have also lied to the MP when challenged.

Does this make any difference, probably not, it's another example of how in my view utilities/infrastructure and public services do not sit well with the privatisation model.  

What will happen, ultimately I suspect the Royal Mail will be subsumed into one of the more efficient carriers, and letters by post will become a thing of the past (if they are not already!!)

Its like a reverse highway robbery, instead of the mail coach being held up, it's paying customers who have their money stolen, for which they gain no service.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Thank you Geh.  It is horrible when your parking fine goes up before it arrives.  It has happened here and we have missed VIP medical appointments.   The contacts are not very attractive now as with all newbie contracts.  But they don't seem to recruiting new staff just shoving existing staff around.  Maybe that's their version of recycling.   Reuse Redeploy Recycle.  But don't actually employ more people.  High turn over low paid, uncared for existing staff.  Creates a recipe for 3rd class service.    When I do get post I often have to spend a good half hour taking post to the correct properties.  Maybe I should ask them to pay me for my time.  I do a better job than they do.