Drivers on their phones

sanda

I’m getting increasingly angry about the drivers I see on their phones and how dangerous they are. I’ve had so many dangerous situations recently when crossing main roads because drivers just don’t stop. Even when on a green man or at a zebra crossing. You can see their eyes are looking down at their phone and not at the road. The same with trying to cross the road in stationary traffic, I recently had one move forward at me without looking up from their phone, I had to jump back and banged on his window as he passed. He called me the c word instead of apologising for nearly running me over. 

Why don’t the police do anything? Whenever I walk along past cars queuing it seems about half the drivers are on their phone. The police could have a busy day fining all the drivers and I’d feel a lot safer knowing they’re not likely to be on their phones again. I just don’t get why this is tolerated when it is illegal and so dangerous?  

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 2

Because it is not a priority for the police, but they do take action, many 1000s are prosecuted each year, the numbers were fallen due no doubt social pressures as well as increased number of points and no doubt the size of the fine.

Interesting reading here:  https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/seatbelt-and-mobile-phone-use-surveys-2023/mobile-phone-use-by-drivers-england-2023

I'm on the road almost daily and I see maybe twenty or thirty a year, of course 20 or 30 too many.  The above report shows that it is vans more than cars and two thirds holding the phone as opposed to having it to the ear, many no doubt texting, or on dating sites (that last comment is not facetious). 

As an experienced cyclist I can tell from the driving more often than not that they are on their phone, and tell them to get off it.  Others I know will record this on their helmet cam and pass onto the police.

Yes it is dangerous and yes government should consider what more can be done.  I personally think it is dreadful behaviour.  But if you go to some countries it is the norm.

This could be used at speed awareness courses, schools, public information campaigns, test centres etc.   from the film Whiplash where he has a bad crash after just being on his phone.  [edited removed as it is rather graphic

Edited by malumbu
  • Thanks 1