neighbour below my friend is shouting / snoring in their sleep

trinidad

A friend of mine who lives in apartments has had her sleep affected by her neighbour who lives in her apartment below my friend. My friend can often hear the neighbour down stairs shouting in their sleep and snoring. I suggested wearing ear plugs, but  my friend said the noise still gets through. She has closed her windows and bedroom door, and has contacted her neighbour and the council, but nothing has worked.

Is there anything she can do?

9 hours ago, trinidad said:

A friend of mine who lives in apartments has had her sleep affected by her neighbour who lives in her apartment below my friend. My friend can often hear the neighbour down stairs shouting in their sleep and snoring. I suggested wearing ear plugs, but  my friend said the noise still gets through. She has closed her windows and bedroom door, and has contacted her neighbour and the council, but nothing has worked.

Is there anything she can do?

What did the neighbour say when she spoke to them? Were they receptive?

What sort of thing is the neighbour shouting? Does the snoring and shouting happen every night?

Has your friend recorded it, so they can demonstrate the loudness of the snoring etc.? Their neighbour may not realise how loud it is. I did this with my partner 😂

There are several free recording apps for mobiles, eg Dolby On.

I definitely would agree that  they contact their GP. Who hopefully is one of the good ones.

There are various things that can be done for snoring, depending on the cause.

Depending on the nature of the shouting, the neighbour might find therapy helpful (available on the NHS in six week stints, which can be repeated if necessary). They can self refer, that doesn't have to be done via their GP.

I can't see there is anything else which would help, apart from the noise insulation suggested above, unless the neighbour (or your friend)  could sleep in a different room.

They aren't aware  of their snoring and shouting when it happens, as they are asleep, so it's hard to see what the council could do.

I'd say it was very important to be sympathetic, demonstrate the nature of the problem to them and suggest appropriate courses of action.

If your friend antagonises them (I'm not suggesting she has) the neighbour is not likely to be inclined to do anything about it.

Edited by Sue
  • Like 1