We are in "one of UK's best places to live" 🤣

Sue

10 hours ago, Sue said:

You are confusing The Cherry Tree (near the station) with Black Cherry (which you're right, was briefly The Draft House before becoming Franco Manca!)

No, it wasn't The Railway Tavern, and to the best of my recollection it was never a hotel, though I may be wrong.

It was called something else prior to the couple taking it over, and they changed its name back to The Cherry Tree because it had been called that previously. I think!

Somebody on here will remember what it was called, I'm sure!

Wasn’t it called The Manor (or something like that) for a bit?

Interesting thread. But gosh, people are cynical. Look: we've got two Marks and Spencers, the continuing closure of independent outlets replaced by aggressively branded chains, schools becoming akin to exclusive clubs, massive Volvos to get our kids to school in sixty seconds whilst spewing out everyone's favourite fumes, asking prices on very mediocre streets like Shawbury Road in excess of £2million, a tatty Saturday market selling overpriced junk to idiots with more money than sense, terrible transport links, no banks, no post, and not just a complete decline in community relations - there's no community here anymore. Just a bunch of greedy little pigs. What's not to like? Oink!

Edited by SpringTime
Error
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

You've missed out gridlock 24/7 due to the incompetence of the local authority and disproportionate influence of righteous cyclists.  A greengrocer and the Christmas queues already forming outside William Rose blocking the pavements.  This place sounds dreadful.  I'll not be visiting.  Well not today.  Maybe Saturday.  Although could do with some secure bike parking.

Edited by malumbu
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

21 minutes ago, SpringTime said:

Interesting thread. But gosh, people are cynical. Look: we've got two Marks and Spencers, the continuong closure of independent outlets replaced by aggressively branded chains, schools becoming akin to exclusive clubs, massive Volvos to get our kids to school in sixty seconds whilst spewing out everyone's favourite fumes, asking prices on very mediocre streets like Shawbury Road in excess of £2million, a tatty Saturday market selling overpriced junk to idiots with more money than sense, terrible transport links, no banks, and not just a complete decline in community relations - there's no community here anymore. Just a bunch of greedy little pigs. Oink!

I think it's you who is cynical 😂

I think the truth is somewhere in between.

11 hours ago, Ebenezer said:

The Vale ?

Google StreetView from 2008

https://maps.app.goo.gl/M6ke5BmgvyAMWVAy7?g_st=ac

I can't edit/add to  my previous post in answer to this  because of the final smiley, I don't know why that should be  (memo to self: stop using smileys, it is very childish) .

My  partner couldn't remember either, but when I said was it The Vale, he said oh yes, that's it.

So you win today's prize for best memory 🤣

Unless The Cherry Tree had yet another name before or after The Vale, as that name still rings no bells for me at all!

Edited by Sue
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Sue said:

Inside 72 was great!

There was also a sort of antique type shop on the same stretch as the weird military shop.

I think it was where Spinach is now, though there was at least one shop in between (?tea shop?)

My friend and I once did a cocktail crawl down Lordship Lane, starting at the Black Cherry (now Franco Manca I think).

We ended up with her with a set of crystal glasses and me with a stick back chair staggering drunkenly from said antique type shop back down what apparently we must now call "The Lane" 🤣

I've remembered the name of the tea shop. It was Chandelier. And full of chandeliers. It had lots of different kinds of tea.

And when Blue Mountain opened, which was long before that ( I think),  it sold lots of different coffee (I think) and chocolate covered coffee beans. Or have I dreamed that?

And the little shop part at the front sold great bread etc. and there were lots of little rooms, all with their own character, including upstairs.

It was really quirky. I miss it. But that was about thirty years ago or more, AAAARGH.

And it went through several incarnations after that, though always with Mel (I think).

It was so sad when it finally closed.

Where has the time gone? I can't believe I've been here so long.

4 minutes ago, David Peckham said:

I've got a very vague recollection of being called 'The Hamlet' for a short time.

Oh yes, that does ring a bell.

On 18/09/2024 at 11:05, Earl Aelfheah said:

I remember a shop selling replica guns / air pistols up the far end of the lane. Weird.

Target Arms, which also sold genuine antique militaria, including a deactivated Lewis Gun, as I recall. Rather more antique militaria than air pistols and rifles and replicas in fact. Good quality and value for collectors. 

3 hours ago, SpringTime said:

Interesting thread. But gosh, people are cynical. Look: we've got two Marks and Spencers, the continuing closure of independent outlets replaced by aggressively branded chains, schools becoming akin to exclusive clubs, massive Volvos to get our kids to school in sixty seconds whilst spewing out everyone's favourite fumes, asking prices on very mediocre streets like Shawbury Road in excess of £2million, a tatty Saturday market selling overpriced junk to idiots with more money than sense, terrible transport links, no banks, no post, and not just a complete decline in community relations - there's no community here anymore. Just a bunch of greedy little pigs. What's not to like? Oink!

Schools are probably the biggest attraction of East Dulwich - outstanding state schools and prestigious private schools.

Edited by Ebenezer

18 minutes ago, Ebenezer said:

Schools are probably the biggest attraction of East Dulwich - outstanding state schools and prestigious private schools.

Are they really that good? Really? I think they're all a bit sh^t to be frank, Mr C. State and otherwise. Still, if that's how Noah and Isla need to be indoctrinated then so be it x

55 minutes ago, SpringTime said:

Are they really that good? Really? I think they're all a bit sh^t to be frank, Mr C. State and otherwise. Still, if that's how Noah and Isla need to be indoctrinated then so be it x

You still have Poundland.

4 hours ago, David Peckham said:

I've just found an old listing for it.

It was actually 'The New Hamlet Inn'.

How old was the listing? I don't remember that name at all!

Are we still talking about The Cherry Tree?