We are in "one of UK's best places to live" 🤣

Sue

I'm pretty sure it was still Le Chardon until 2008, maybe later. They also had The Green on East Dulwich Road, which is now Kokum. Service could be a bit 'French' in both places, but the food was good.

It then had an incarnation selling quiches or something similar. It was a bit esoteric.

The place where everything went against them was Saucy Chip, which was the old Curry Cabin. It's now Joe & The Juice.

SE22 Bar was there before Franklin's, which I reckon opened just before the Millennium. I've got a vague recollection an (East) Dulwich Brasserie/Bistro or something similar around there at some point.

The photo of the Dulwich Cafe above reminded me of when they changed the name and sign to 'Cafe Dulwich' to reflect how the area was going upmarket. 

They didn't change the menu or decor at all.

Just the sign.

3 hours ago, northernmonkey said:

It was Thistell and then Le Chardon.  It had a brief stint as Tart  then flooded, closed and reopend as Kartuli

Thanks, it was Tart I had forgotten. I felt really sorry for them.

I don't remember SE22 at all!

Edited by Sue

The site of William Rose plne furniture shop after that bespoke windows now up by ploug diy after bespoke a lingerie shop..mrs Robinsons on opposite corner fire surrounds .then baby prams cots clothes.barbers opposite school used to be a news agents then photographic shop then nurses/nanny agency.marys living and giving shop .back in the day car radios sound systems health shop next door a beauty parlour.amalpi coffee shop next door .sowing machines wools cottons .then binster toyshop.up to jazz barbers fsl fashion/sport/ leisure shop later had a phone shop take some of the sports shop space.some where along that part was a fruit and veg fella called les.and also lanes driving school.opposiite aj farmers

Little shop next to picture house.before Irish shop used to be a video shop called sun rentals/ or sun videos. This thread as got  me dads memory in overdrive 

Edited by teddyboy23
More info
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, bob said:

SE22 Franklin's was a disused pub/offe and was converted to SE 22 by a lovely Greek man and his family he did most of the work himself really great atmosphere and food.

When was that? Don't remember that at all! 

With all this talk of the bygone days of ED... I just noticed on my profile that I joined the forum on this day - 26th September 2007! A lot has changed in the that time. Trying to think what hasn't... The EDT perhaps?

Edited by Earl Aelfheah
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, Earl Aelfheah said:

With all this talk of the bygone days of ED... I just noticed on my profile that I joined the forum on this day - 26th September 2007! A lot has changed in the that time. Trying to think what hasn't... The EDT perhaps?

I joined the same year and month as you. 18th September. I remember thinking how amazing the forum was back then, I met so many lovely via this forum. I do feel the forum has changed too with the originals all moving out.

I never understood the appeal of EDT😆 

• Like 1

Actually, The Castle has changed rather a lot!

Have you been there lately?

They no longer have the great juke box 😭 which is the only downside to the changes as far as I'm concerned.

They have regular open mic sessions.

The function room upstairs has been done up and is now  really nice, with separate toilets up there as well.

After the owners kicked lovely  Jenny (the then  manager)  out, the pub became really unwelcoming for a while, unless you were a regular. A very regular regular.

Happily that has all changed. It's still not  gentrified, thank God, but the present management and staff are all really friendly, and it's a nice place to drink in. Still no food though. 

17 minutes ago, Rockets said:

Many happy returns Earl!

It seems 2007 was a good year to join the forum as I did too!!

One thing that hasn't changed is The Castle!

Sorry forgot to quote the post I was answering!

Edited by Sue

42 minutes ago, Sue said:

Actually, The Castle has changed rather a lot!

Have you been there lately?

They no longer have the great juke box 😭 which is the only downside to the changes as far as I'm concerned.

They have regular open mic sessions.

The function room upstairs has been done up and is now  really nice, with separate toilets up there as well.

After the owners kicked lovely  Jenny (the then  manager)  out, the pub became really unwelcoming for a while, unless you were a regular. A very regular regular.

Happily that has all changed. It's still not  gentrified, thank God, but the present management and staff are all really friendly, and it's a nice place to drink in. Still no food though. 

Sorry forgot to quote the post I was answering!

They've also lost the pool table, which is a shame. Still the cheapest beer locally though!

• Agree 1

Worried as thought I had this place for my self, a few builders and old school locals.  The final pub from the old days about to go trendy?  Posted in the past how I loved the Crystal Palace Tavern, it's dilapidation, quizzes and occasionally the footy.  Very different and of course much more successful now bit haven't been in it since.

EDT is a stalwart. However, think the Plough and Clockhouse a bit off of the main strip have been around for quite some time too, but changed so much they might as well be different pubs.

Anyone remember Sunday night pub quiz at the Magdala (now the Lordship)? At half time, you got a sausage and chips as part of your £2 entry to the quiz. Then play your cards right at the end where you could win the pot of money. Used to be mobbed on a Sunday night!

LOL.  Don't remember that particular pub or quiz.   But I do remember how much some pubs did for their community.  Not always profit focussed.   Having roast potatoes and fresh sea food every Sunday at The L&B in Queens Rd Peckham. Hit pancakes on Shrove Tuesday/Gammon n Mash etc.  All free for regulars.   Was fun times 

Soz not an East Dulwich Pub.  But the pubs where all similar back in the day.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, malumbu said:

Worried as thought I had this place for my self, a few builders and old school locals.  The final pub from the old days about to go trendy?  Posted in the past how I loved the Crystal Palace Tavern, it's dilapidation, quizzes and occasionally the footy.  Very different and of course much more successful now bit haven't been in it since.

Surely The Castle isn't about to go trendy? I sincerely hope not.

The CPT was my local. I loved it.

We started our Singarounds there, in that tiny space which used to be on the right. 

Then they outgrew it and we moved to the larger space on the left. That was in the days when the bar was in the middle of the pub.

We went to the quizzes sometimes as well, but generally just went for a pint or two. There were always the same people in there, it was great.

Adam the manager was a really nice guy, but left under sad circumstances (nothing to do with the pub).

And I once admired one of the bar people's tee shirt (from Little Miss Sunshine) and he said he had worked on the movie 😮 And next time I went in, he gave it to me 😮

The Great Exhibition is OK, but it is nothing at all like the CPT was. 

Sorry, I burble on as long when I write as I do when I talk.

2 hours ago, pikeyed said:

Anyone remember Sunday night pub quiz at the Magdala (now the Lordship)? At half time, you got a sausage and chips as part of your £2 entry to the quiz. Then play your cards right at the end where you could win the pot of money. Used to be mobbed on a Sunday night!

I thought it was The Castle that had Play Your Cards Right, in Jenny's day?

In fact someone told me recently they still did that, don't know if that's true 

• Thanks 1