We are in "one of UK's best places to live" 🤣

Sue

23 minutes ago, first mate said:

I think we are incredibly privileged to live in ED. I remember it when Blue Mountain and Grace and Favour opened- the latter the same day Blair and New Labour won for the first time. The Yellow Door was I think the only posh restaurant around . Prior to all that ED was a bit more ordinary but nice enough.

The only time I remember anything close to rioting in ED was during the Brixton riots and the old Sainsbury's (now M&S) had a window smashed in.

What and where was The Yellow Door? 

I don't remember that, and I was here when the Blue Mountain opened (before Grace and Favour, if memory serves).

Google Street view has this amazing feature where you can go back in time so you can explore ED in ancient times....well not earlier than 2008.. :)...but it still interesting to see how much LL has changed.

https://www.google.com/maps/@51.4562629,-0.0760271,3a,75y,286.56h,90t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sAquCD-EiJqJD2FhRJ0alNQ!2e0!5s20080601T000000!7i13312!8i6656?entry=ttu&g_ep=EgoyMDI0MDkxNS4wIKXMDSoASAFQAw%3D%3D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Earl Aelfheah said:

I remember a shop selling replica guns / air pistols up the far end of the lane. Weird.

Target's, they weren't replicas!

11 hours ago, Sue said:

It moved from Peckham? I didn't know that.

Where was it in Peckham?

The other side of the road to Head's the butchers, close to where Austin's was.

• Thanks 1

This has taken me down a little rabbit hole. Target’s are still operating online. Seem to import all manner of weapons. The ‘about us’ bit of their website states:

Our motto is : we always behind our products because “we are manufacturer and exporter”.number one choice for those who seek guality “Target Arms””

Nothing screams quality like several typos and the misspelling of ‘quality’. 

11 minutes ago, Rockets said:

And some eclectic bars too - Inside72 was always a great/weird night out.

Really liked inside72

Edited by Earl Aelfheah
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Rockets said:

I remember that place - always looked a bit creepy inside - did anyone ever venture inside? Lordship Lane certainly used to have an eclectic mix of shops back in the day!

And some eclectic bars too - Inside72 was always a great/weird night out.

Inside 72 was great!

There was also a sort of antique type shop on the same stretch as the weird military shop.

I think it was where Spinach is now, though there was at least one shop in between (?tea shop?)

My friend and I once did a cocktail crawl down Lordship Lane, starting at the Black Cherry (now Franco Manca I think).

We ended up with her with a set of crystal glasses and me with a stick back chair staggering drunkenly from said antique type shop back down what apparently we must now call "The Lane" 🤣

Edited by Sue
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Earl Aelfheah said:

This has taken me down a little rabbit hole. Target’s are still operating online. Seem to import all manner of weapons. The ‘about us’ bit of their website states:

Our motto is : we always behind our products because “we are manufacturer and exporter”.number one choice for those who seek guality “Target Arms””

Nothing screams quality like several typos and the misspelling of ‘quality’. 

If I remember rightly there used to be a similar shop in Catford - weird that we used to have arms and militaria shops dotted around South London!

14 minutes ago, Sue said:

There was also a sort of antique type shop on the same stretch as the weird military shop.

Was that the Junction Emporium?

There used to be loads of bric a brac and antique shops in ED. There was a guy called Rene who had one along from the station back in the early 80's. Quite a few on NX and then there was Austins towards Peckham.

Does anyone remember Dave the greengrocer and his brother?

The Junction Emporium was much more recent.

I remember Target but never went in. 

28 minutes ago, Sue said:

Inside 72 was great!

I think it was where Spinach is now, though there was at least one shop in between (?tea shop?)

My friend and I once did a cocktail crawl down Lordship Lane, starting at the Black Cherry (now Franco Manca I think).

We ended up with her with a set of crystal glasses and me with a stick back chair staggering drunkenly from said antique type shop back down what apparently we must now call "The Lane" 🤣

There was 72 and also The Drum. Completely forgot about Black Cherry! The pubs all changed too. The Foresters?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ebenezer said:

Google Street view has this amazing feature where you can go back in time so you can explore ED in ancient times....well not earlier than 2008.. 🙂...but it still interesting to see how much LL has changed.

https://www.google.com/maps/@51.4562629,-0.0760271,3a,75y,286.56h,90t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sAquCD-EiJqJD2FhRJ0alNQ!2e0!5s20080601T000000!7i13312!8i6656?entry=ttu&g_ep=EgoyMDI0MDkxNS4wIKXMDSoASAFQAw%3D%3D

Crikey!  It's alarming how much the Plane trees have grown in 16 years 😱

I hope RCH and Southwark councillors look at this and start putting aside some funds for all the future insurance claims for subsidence that seem inevitable.

3 hours ago, bob said:

The Foresters

Thats a blast from the past.

Bob S 

Blue Mountain 

Mel's place yes I think it was one of the first was also in Peckham Duckam brothers old shop.

Bob S 

The Foresters is now The Bishop!

It was a rather unreconstructed (?) pub, the sort where you were worried the carpet sort of squelched as you got within the smell of the gents 😂

And how about the pub which is now The Cherry Tree. Can't remember what it was called before, though I think its present name is a blast from the quite distant past.

The beer used to be really badly kept, but complaints were let's say not welcomed.

For a very short while after that it was very well  managed by an excellent couple who brought in an absolutely fantastic chef, but that ended in tears when they all got sacked by the then owner, presumably pissed off because the pub was bringing in a lot more customers than he had ever done.

5 hours ago, first mate said:

There was 72 and also The Drum. Completely forgot about Black Cherry! The pubs all changed too. The Foresters?

Ah yes, The Drum.

Full of smokers (and smoke), and after hours drinking if you sneaked in round the back 🤣

5 hours ago, first mate said:

There used to be loads of bric a brac and antique shops in ED. There was a guy called Rene who had one along from the station back in the early 80's. Quite a few on NX and then there was Austins towards Peckham.

Does anyone remember Dave the greengrocer and his brother?

The Junction Emporium was much more recent.

I remember Target but never went in. 

Is that the greengrocer which was in North Cross Road?

12 hours ago, first mate said:

The Yellow door restaurant was in a house just along from what is now the Charter School. It was quite well thought of at the time. It had a yellow front door.

I don't remember that at all! I probably didn't go in that direction that often.

Edited by Sue
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Earl Aelfheah said:

I remember a shop selling replica guns / air pistols up the far end of the lane. Weird.

and I lived upstairs from someone who used to frequent that place

"And how about the pub which is now The Cherry Tree. Can't remember what it was called before, though I think its present name is a blast from the quite distant past."

This is Franco Manca now isn't it? After the Cherry Tree it was the early Craft Beer place - "The Draft House"

3 hours ago, Sue said:

And how about the pub which is now The Cherry Tree. Can't remember what it was called before, though I think its present name is a blast from the quite distant past.

The railway tavern?

I think it was originally named The old Cherry tree hotel.

Edited by Dulwich dweller
update

31 minutes ago, Sephiroth said:

and I lived upstairs from someone who used to frequent that place

"And how about the pub which is now The Cherry Tree. Can't remember what it was called before, though I think its present name is a blast from the quite distant past."

This is Franco Manca now isn't it? After the Cherry Tree it was the early Craft Beer place - "The Draft House"

You are confusing The Cherry Tree (near the station) with Black Cherry (which you're right, was briefly The Draft House before becoming Franco Manca!)

17 minutes ago, Dulwich dweller said:

The railway tavern?

I think it was originally named The old Cherry tree hotel.

No, it wasn't The Railway Tavern, and to the best of my recollection it was never a hotel, though I may be wrong.

It was called something else prior to the couple taking it over, and they changed its name back to The Cherry Tree because it had been called that previously. I think!

Somebody on here will remember what it was called, I'm sure!

• Agree 1