We are in "one of UK's best places to live" 🤣

Sue

Muddy Stilettos first tottered into the world in 2011 as a way for national lifestyle journalist Hero Brown (Independent on Sunday, The Observer, Red, Marie Claire, Elle) to find out and share the fun stuff to do in the local area, having moved out of London that summer to the Buckinghamshire/Oxfordshire borders with husband and baby son in tow.

Quickly Muddy Stilettos caught on locally as a witty, useful, tastefully curated and researched insider’s guide to the very best food, walks, boutiques, day trips, hotels, interiors and events for smart, fun-loving women living outside London.

In Jan 2013 the site turned into a business, and nine years on, Muddy Stilettos has 1.2m monthly fans, nearly 275,000 subscribers, 250,000 social followers, and can now be found in 28 counties, with editions in Bedfordshire, Berkshire, Cambridgeshire, Cornwall, Derbyshire, Devon, Dorset, Essex, Gloucestershire, Hampshire, the Isle of Wight, Hertfordshire, Leicestershire, Nottinghamshire, Oxfordshire, Rutland, Kent, Northants, Norfolk, Somerset, Suffolk, Surrey, Sussex, Warwickshire, the West Midlands, Wiltshire and Worcestershire. A London newsletter has just launched,

https://muddystilettos.co.uk/about/

Sorry but the name 'Muddy Stilettos' makes me 🤢🤮

I visualise a bunch of smug women sitting having overpriced brunch in a place with Faux flowers garishly framing the door and filling a wall with pink neon reading "Good Times"  somewhere in the picture drinking prosecco and talking about school fees though their kids are still in nappies..

In fact I think I would markedly AVOID anywhere that 'Muddy Stilettos" deemed a best place to live.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I mean, the UK is largely a sh1th0le now, for the many reasons we know and love, but if SE22 is the best of it, well, I really need to think about again about ending my life... What hope, people? What hope?

Muddy Stilettos is an amazing name though, come on.

Edited by paul*

A bit of a daft post making sweeping statements about the country. Most of us like Britain even if we are not proud of it all the time.  A few nobheads rioting doesn't change that.

I'll take it that you were posting in jest looking to get a reaction like mine!

• Like 2

On 12/09/2024 at 22:02, NewWave said:

I visualise a bunch of smug women sitting having overpriced brunch in a place with Faux flowers garishly framing the door and filling a wall with pink neon reading "Good Times"  somewhere in the picture drinking prosecco and talking about school fees though their kids are still in nappies..

Possibly quite a revealing insight into your psychology there! But all the same, you should probably avoid Megan's...both branches...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I’m convinced that East Dulwich is one of London’s best areas...nice parks, top-notch schools, and absence of high-rise buildings...etc.. The only downside is a few grumpy people who criticise newcomers and complain about gentrification - while enjoying its perks.

5 minutes ago, Ebenezer said:

The only downside is a few grumpy people who criticise newcomers and complain about gentrification

Gentrification affects people in different ways and can be both positive and negative. Criticism works both ways too. Brixton for example- Newcomers move into certain parts where there's a thriving night time economy, a few bars and long standing clubs. Literally move in/ or buy to let at extortionate rates opposite a nightclub that was included in the the estate agents  blurb. Vibrant-cool Peckham, Brixton etc.

Two places that many of it's current residents wouldn't have drove through in an armoured truck not that long ago. They then complain about the noise coming from those bars and clubs. More often than not those venues end up having restrictions put on them which are prohibitive and ultimately the death knell for a long standing business that has done it's bit in attracting punters with disposable cash to the area.

• Like 1

It certainly used to be great but now has become prohibitively expensive for many and this has led to many people having to move out and the folks moving in are more monied than their predecessors and have wants for different things. I do feel the community buzz is gradually eroding and it's all starting to go a bit Islington...fine if that's your thing but not the area I fell in love with over the years.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Dogkennelhillbilly said:

Possibly quite a revealing insight into your psychology there! But all the same, you should probably avoid Megan's...both branches...

I do avoid Megans....not due to the clientele but due to the rubbish food and muzak.

• Agree 1

28 minutes ago, Dogkennelhillbilly said:

I'm old enough and grumpy enough to remember when Dogstar were the outsider-gentrifiers riding roughshod over the locals, not the salt-of-the-earth insiders driven out by unscrupulous newbies.

Dogstar, gig at the Academy followed by rum in the Brixtonian....now that was a night out!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

21 minutes ago, Dogkennelhillbilly said:

I'm old enough and grumpy enough to remember when Dogstar were the outsider-gentrifiers riding roughshod over the locals, not the salt-of-the-earth insiders driven out by unscrupulous newbies.

I used to DJ Dogstar well as the 414 and Mass. Brixton was always a place for both locals and revellers from all corners of London.

4 minutes ago, Rockets said:

Dogstar, gig at the Academy followed by rum in the Brixtonian....now that was a night out!

Or wobble out of Samsara at the fridge and wobble over to the 414/ Cooltan for another bounce about.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Dulwichway said:

Lot's of muggers/phone snatchers/thieves/pick-pockets/violent drug machete gangs/ are doing their best to "change that" and mostly getting away with it!!

Well East Dulwich was a bit rough at the end of the last century but it hasn't been ever like the above unless I am missing something 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

42 minutes ago, NewWave said:

muzak.

Good lord above. Awful stuff.

9 minutes ago, Dulwichway said:

When did a few nobheads riot in East Dulwich?

When poundland opened up 😁

Brioche buns and Latte cups bouncing off of their windows and whizzing up and down Lordship lane. At one point the CO OP was relieved of two bottles of Prosecco by an absolute bounder armed with a sourdough baton.

Edited by Dulwich dweller
spelling again
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

LoL. Megan's food is OK.  But I admit the 20% service charge is ridiculous especially when I have been there only twice.  Both times we had to order at the counter.  It was difficult to get a tap water etc. was told by the staff in female toilets it's alright you can go a wee when they were having a good old chat in the very small toilets.   GOSH.  Where did that rant come from.  

Growing up in the 1950/60s in ED. Our street was designated for slum clearance twice. Two families lived in the house, We were upstairs and although wired for light, not for power so could not have fridge or electric cooker. No bathroom just kitchen sink. Outside toilet shared with flat downstairs - we had to go through their sitting room to get to back door. Mould in rooms due to flat roof and blocked gutters.  My Nan lived a bit further along in ED- solid house, gas heaters, kitchen had covered bath, corrugated plastic roof  covered walkway to outside toilet.

Mum and I managed to get a private rented flat in Forest Hill in the late 1960s, still shared a bathroom with 6 other people but at least it was indoors.

The house we lived in ED is still standing - Southwark never went ahead with the slum clearance.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Hi Pugwash,

It's crazy how much we take for granted now.  I can't imagine another family walking through my house to get out to the toilet.  Or even going out side to use my own toilet.   Look what happened in COVID.    It is brilliant to hear about the not so distant way of London life.  I remember not having any central heating and we had a tiny toilet downstairs next to the kitchen when I lived in SE23 / 1970s    I think we had a gas fire in the living room. When I went to Ireland as a toddler I asked why my Auntie was burning stones  Thanks for sharing.  

• Agree 1

I think we are incredibly privileged to live in ED. I remember it when Blue Mountain and Grace and Favour opened- the latter the same day Blair and New Labour won for the first time. The Yellow Door was I think the only posh restaurant around . Prior to all that ED was a bit more ordinary but nice enough.

The only time I remember anything close to rioting in ED was during the Brixton riots and the old Sainsbury's (now M&S) had a window smashed in.

• Like 1