Houses over £2.2m

Favourite them on Rightmove and watch as, over the months, they get gradually reduced, switch agents (normally from a big name to some "boutique realtor" no-one has ever heard of) and then, if they do ever sell console yourselves that a fool and their money are easily parted, start moaning about the good old days of house prices and pondering why it is starting to feel like Islington whilst you enjoy an over-priced orange juice in Joe the Juice after buying something in Sweaty Betty....;-)

Sparacus Gets paint pot out 

Spartacus Puts lick of paint on walls, cleans taps till they look like new 

Siartacus rubs hands together thinking of £2million in the bank 

Estate agent and market pops Soartacus' bubble 

Edited by Spartacus
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, alice said:

Big house, tiny garden won’t sell

Years ago, I asked an estate agent about the effect on my house value if I got a loft conversion (this was in the days before everyone in SE22 started having loft conversions).

The estate agent said there was no point -  given the small size of my garden, nobody would want to buy a house with four or five bedrooms.

I never went ahead, but he  was wrong.

• Sad 1

I don't know how realistic those prices are. But I have heard people saying prices can't possibly go any higher and that the market has topped out for at least 20 years. 

Like I say, that doesn't necessarily mean these will sell, but I've stopped being surprised at what people will pay for a house in London.

• Agree 1

I think he second one of those houses in Shawbury Road, that has the elaborate garden shed, was bought for £1.2m not many years ago, It was being done up for a long time prior to that,  I'm surprised how soon it's being sold on. I don't think you're going to get people staying put for for 40+ years like us any more but what a different world ED was in 1980 or in the 70s. That's life!

Cheers to all - happy lofting!

There are a v small number of buyers (big tech, corp law, finance...) who have a budget £x and a target area y.  They look in y and will pay £x for the best house they can find regardless of the economics/comparables elsewhere

I'd say usually these sorts of people would also be looking in DV and around Marmora Road, but I guess the estate agents are hoping for someone whose y is "<60 seconds walk from the nice bit of Lordship Lane".

Edited by the_hermit

On 13/09/2024 at 15:27, George Orwell said:

But it seems you do get a live-in cook / kitchen hand / helper with the second house 😀.

2.2M 2 (1).jpeg

2.2M 2 (2).jpeg

I find this hideous..all that dark wood and recessed spotlights.

In fact the only thing I like is the polished concrete floor...

One of my favourite pastimes (ok call me a saddo) Is to fantasy house-hunt on rightmove seeing what I could purchase in various areas for up to 4 million.

I find it shocking how many houses and apartments have had the guts ripped ripped out of them and look like the example above.

If I won the lottery I'd be every estate agents nightmare...

• Agree 1