Children cycling on the pavement , and cycle training

On the roads section there is discussion on cyclists on the pavement 

In part this will be younger children with a parent of carer.

It's great to see so many families out on bikes but a shame that more don't make use of the wonderful traffic calmed roads.  I'm probably talking more about the Village.  Welcome views.

Also what do you reckon to Bikeability?  Have your kids done this at school?  Have you had your own, free, individual or family lessons.  I'm a big fan.

We should encourage children to cycle on the pavement!

I was recently in Japan, very refreshing to see cyclists being welcomed everywhere. When the roads were busy, it was common to see people cycling on the pavement, it never seemed to cause any issues for pedestrians. 

It feels like there's a widespread hostility toward cyclists - people seem to look for any reason to be upset about their presence. 

Infrastructure is a big one, but it would be nice if pavement riding was acceptable for when the infrastructure doesn't exist to get somewhere safely. 

Ohhh Nutty.   

The culture in Japan is all built around respect and compliance.  They even have beautiful music playing in the toilet to cover anyone's private embarrassment.  I personally would love kids to be safe riding on the pavements.  But I can't see it working here.  Only last week I just dodged a speeding cyclist a teenager who was flying down the pavement.  The road was empty at the time. The cyclist had no regard for others. Imagine the damage a speeding cyclist would cause to a small child or  elderly person. I love cyclists but I am hoping that they are going to be forced to register and get insurance.   LOL Malumbu. I await your response.

Yesterday driving down LL into Grove Vale on our way to Sainsburys, going slowly as a bus was about to depart from the Elsie Road bus stop when a young child on bike dashed across the road from Elsie Road to Kwik Fit. Child was about 3 or 4 riding a bike without  pedals. Fortunately there was a gap in the traffic otherwise the child would have been killed. Noticed an adult (father?) on bike looking to do a right turn from Elsie Road- not sure whether he had anticipated crossing with the child by his side and that the child took it upon themselves to charge across the road.  I am all for children learning how to be safe on the road but that struck me as irresponsible. I would have got off my bike and wheeled it on the pavement to the traffic lights outside the  school so both of them could cross safely. It was around 3.30 pm with all the school traffic etc,

Our 10 year old grandchild has recently graduated to a larger bike as her mother wishes her to cycle to secondary school eventually as where she lives in Durrington  Sussex  there very few bus routes to secondary schools. She rides on the pavements alone 'round the block' to give her confidence but her area is residential with light traffic and no shops, a far cry from London streets/traffic.