Leisure centre cancellation/fees

Wondering if others have tried to cancel swim sessions and have experienced technical difficulties which prevent them from doing do.  Or worse seemingly successful in cancellibg but it appears as a no show?

I support the fines (and I have paid some) as it seems to have improved slot availability.  You have to cancel with more than four hours notice.  It is annoying that you don't get an email when you cancel and it seems the receptionists now have to spend ages dealing with queries about it, which distracts from service elsewhere.

• Like 1

Hubby got fed up getting messages telling him that he had failed to attend - on checking it was a mistake as he had not booked in for a session anyway. With all the tech problems he cancelled his membership. Even though he has to pay more per swim, he goes to Forest Hill Pool where he can book in person at the time most convenient for him.

How about just opening like a normal, everyday, traditional swimming pool - turn up and swim? It’s this kind of rigidity and lack of accountability that makes the council (and other councils) seem distant and uncaring. Nobody ever requested bookable swimming slots - it was a “requirement” during the pandemic. 

1 hour ago, Nigello said:

How about just opening like a normal, everyday, traditional swimming pool - turn up and swim? It’s this kind of rigidity and lack of accountability that makes the council (and other councils) seem distant and uncaring. Nobody ever requested bookable swimming slots - it was a “requirement” during the pandemic. 

I agree. Everything now requires advance booking such that you have to pre plan everything vs being a bit spontaneous!

• Like 1

They can't win, can they?

Either people are complaining it's too crowded to swim, or people are complaining when they try to keep numbers to a reasonable level by having pre-booked slots.

People who want to lane swim would  surely not be happy if they were trying to do it with twenty people in their lane? Even if it was the slow lane 🤣

• Thanks 1

I just think there is a balance required. Pre booking means If you don’t attend, you often don’t get the money back. I’d love a pre booking fee to apply to the GP to avoid the waste in appointments!

Years ago I was advised to book for Tai Chi at the leisure centre under their Silver user criteria. Was nor able to do it on line so went in person, they tried doing it on line but informed me that all spaces were filled. Turned out that as the participants came out of the class, they booked the next session on line using their phones before even exiting the centre. This meant potential new members never got a chance

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, Pugwash said:

Years ago I was advised to book for Tai Chi at the leisure centre under their Silver user criteria. Was nor able to do it on line so went in person, they tried doing it on line but informed me that all spaces were filled. Turned out that as the participants came out of the class, they booked the next session on line using their phones before even exiting the centre. This meant potential new members never got a chance

This is what I think happens with swimming. People book ahead as soon as the slots open, days ahead.  Which other boroughs operate this system?