'Foodbank' street collector outside M&S

Does anyone know if this person is legit? Collecting money for a foodbank apparently?

Some staff members I asked didn't really know if he had permission to be there either

Edited by Administrator
Changed title to 'street collector'

11 hours ago, Castleton said:

Does anyone know if this person is legit? Collecting money for a foodbank apparently?

Some staff members I asked didn't really know if he had permission to be there either

I think this has been raised on here before somewhere 

I don't think it can be legit. Why would a food bank be asking for money, instead of donations of food?

Though I would have thought M&S might have wanted to do something about it if he wasn't legit, because he seems to be there a lot, and everyone coming out of the shop has to encounter him.

ETA: Shouldn't this be in the general ED issues section rather than the lounge? 

Edited by Sue

3 hours ago, Sally Eva said:

I would say no but the legit foodbank in southwark is here

https://southwark.foodbank.org.uk/locations/

121A Peckham High street SE15 5SE

+442077320007

There are other legitimate food banks in Southwark (if you mean the borough?), eg the one off Dog Kennel Hill and the one in the church at the top of Barry Road.

Probably loads more.

And to the best of my knowledge none of them ask for cash donations. What does this guy - or whoever he is collecting for - do with the cash? Has anybody asked him?

I donated to him after a couple of pints but when I looked into the actual charity it seems fraudulent. 

I believe if it's same guy he's collecting for - City Hive London C.I.C

After reading the reviews looks like my £2 didn't go to where I thought it would. 

41 minutes ago, Sue said:

There are other legitimate food banks in Southwark (if you mean the borough?), eg the one off Dog Kennel Hill and the one in the church at the top of Barry Road.

Probably loads more.

And to the best of my knowledge none of them ask for cash donations. What does this guy - or whoever he is collecting for - do with the cash? Has anybody asked him?

The one I linked to is related to the Tressell Trust. There are locations handing out food from there throughout the borough. Money is useful for all the things people don't put in food banks. There's a list on the website i linked to of things they specially need eg whole long life milk.

They do (or used to do) collections at mainline stations and outside supermarkets but they had full identification (as you would expect)

• Agree 1

Looks like a Btec website. If you click on any of the logos they don't take you anywhere. Very easy to set up. 

If you read the google reviews it appears quite a few people think it's dodgy.

The biggest red flag is that I can't see a registered charity number anywhere.....

8 minutes ago, JB007 said:

Looks like a Btec website. If you click on any of the logos they don't take you anywhere. Very easy to set up. 

If you read the google reviews it appears quite a few people think it's dodgy.

The biggest red flag is that I can't see a registered charity number anywhere.....

There is no registered charity number because its a CIC (Community Interest Company) and not a charity.  The company has been properly incorporated and details appear on the Companies House website https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/14001663

• Thanks 1

He stands out side the co op first about 6.40 am the Co op 0pens 6.30am. Then after a while he makes his way up to [email protected] mentioned he actually dipped into his bucket .walked off came back 10mins later with coffee and something to eat . Don't know if this is true or not

Edited by teddyboy23

It's interesting that there is nothing on their website for anyone in need other than links to other people's foodbanks. There is no address for this organisation other than their office address ie nowhere to attend to receive help.  Their contact us page only asks for donations or volunteers.

If you approach them in need you will be directed to already established foodbanks and not their own. 

• Agree 1

They appear to act as a "bridge", as an intermediary rather than help those in need direct.

"We have working relationships with supermarkets and private businesses that generously provide us with a source of both non-perishable and fresh groceries, as well as other essential items, which we then share amongst the charitable institutions we are affiliated with."

https://cityhive.org/how-we-do-it/

Its worth reading the full page. Towards the bottom of this page on their website they state 

"We also have a team of fundraisers who go out and collect monetary donations from members of the public, which we then use to further our cause. The money goes towards the cost of ingredients for the hot meals."

• Like 2

PECAN is the food bank for which the church on Barry Rd (Christ Church East Dulwich) collects shelf stable food donations in its foyer. PECAN works across the whole of Southwark.

You can also donate money to PECAN through its website if you want. They collect money as well as food because they need to rent storage space, employ a handful of staff, pay for food to be picked up and delivered, keep the lights on…and buy fresh fruit and veg in bulk.

https://www.pecan.org.uk/donate/

Edited by Dogkennelhillbilly
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

if you are a legitimate collector you are obliged to wear an ID badge with the organisation/charity's details on and if my memory serves me correctly- the police need to be informed. Recall some years ago there was a local charity collection in ED and the organiser had to inform the police of dates/.areas etc and show some form of authorisation.

Indeed. Details at https://www.gov.uk/find-licences/street-collection-licence and then https://www.met.police.uk/advice/advice-and-information/cc/charity-collection-licensing/street-collection-licences/ (particularly the "During collection" section).  Then try going through  the https://www.met.police.uk/ar/applyregister/ccl/met/apply-for-charity-collection-licence/ application questionnaire as if you were Cityhive London, remembering that you're not  a registered charity.

Edited by ianr

I saw the same man being asked to leave his spot outside the entrance to Sainsburys Dog Kennel Hill the other day. It suggests, at least, that Sainsburys didn't licence him to ask for donations there.