'Foodbank' street collector outside M&S

1 hour ago, tomskip said:

I saw the same man being asked to leave his spot outside the entrance to Sainsburys Dog Kennel Hill the other day. It suggests, at least, that Sainsburys didn't licence him to ask for donations there. 

I'll mention this to the M&S staff

This is a pretty hideous description of a vulnerable person with commenters making baseless accusations which could be harmful.

I’d like to see this post renamed if not deleted entirely. It seems highly unlikely there’s any bona fide evidence of fraud here and, even if there were, a person has to be in a pretty dire position to be spending all hours in all weather pounding pavements asking very politely for donations.

I know nothing about this person but see them on Lordship Lane appealing for donations most days and they strike me as someone who could reasonably be quite vulnerable. The comments suggesting police should be called or the individual should be reported to supermarkets seem disproportionate and ill thought out.

We can do better than using slurs like “beggar” and insinuating fraud or theft on little to no evidence.

Yes I find it frustrating to be approached by this person daily, but they’ve done me no harm and I have a monthly direct debit directly to a food bank as when I did my due diligence I decided it was how I could give best bang for my buck. Everyone else who is sceptical or otherwise can do the same.

Please consider whether you really want to add fuel to this fire and whether your descriptions or accusations are fair and verifiable. This is a real person you’re talking about.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 3

• Administrator changed the title to 'Foodbank' street collector outside M&S

On the whole I agree with what you say Mops. But the solution to this person's vulnerability is not to encourage him to collect money under the guise of it being a charity collection (if it is not) surely? People who are short of money themselves could be donating whilst under the impression they are giving to an organisation, not an individual who needs cash. It's ok to question the validity of collection buckets, no matter who is holding them. Or no? I always feel it's best to be honest. I hope some of the many excellent local homeless outreach workers are talking to him. 

How do you reach the conclusion the collector is

a. "an in̈dividual who needs cash". As I posted up thread, he collects for a properly incorporated Community Interest Company.

b. homeless

He may be annoying but there are a lot of annoying people in East Dulwich and the wider world.

Edited by Jenijenjen
addition
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2