the fly at top of barry road

PoisonIvy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Noooo! I loved this project. I thought the Queen

> Bee was beautiful.

I loved it too.

I can't see how it could be painted back - as IngridB says above:

"The bee/spider/fly was painted by Nunca, an incredibly famous street artist. He is from Brazil and was one of the 6 artists invited by Tate Modern to paint its building in a street art exhibition in 2008."

How depressing that some people apparently consider a bland white wall more appealing than a really buzzy (pun intended) piece of art which brightened up that area no end.

There was a spate of Graffiti over the last couple of years with hideous 'Artworks'

popping up all over the area.

There were a handful of people on EDF who seemed to promote these creations but I believe

it was more of a case of them trying to wind up people who opposed them.

I always thought there was a bit of Nimbyism involved there. NO sensible property owner would

wish to have such a creation on their own property.

I think the 'Phase' has now passed.

DulwichFox

I loved it and it always created discussion in the car when waiting at the lights by the library. Has it really been there since 2008? I would have guessed 3 years, how time flies (arf).

Is the scaffolding still up? Perhaps the white is a backdrop for a new mural.

damzel Wrote:

> I loved it and it always created discussion in the

> car when waiting at the lights by the library.

> Has it really been there since 2008? I would have

> guessed 3 years, how time flies (arf).

>

> Is the scaffolding still up? Perhaps the white is

> a backdrop for a new mural.

There have been many road accidents where drivers were distracted by Graffiti.

Like your self. You were looking at the Big Bee and not at the road ahead or the traffic lights.

DulwichFox

DulwichFox Wrote:

>

> There have been many road accidents where

> drivers were distracted by Graffiti.

>

I've looked quite hard on the web for evidence to support this statement, but can't find any. Can you point me towards the statistics? Thanks.

johnie Wrote:

> DulwichFox Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

>

> >

> > There have been many road accidents where

> > drivers were distracted by Graffiti.

> >

>

>

> I've looked quite hard on the web for evidence to

> support this statement, but can't find any. Can

> you point me towards the statistics? Thanks.

Yes, and in particular, where the driver was stationary at traffic lights, looking straight ahead, thus seeing both mural and traffic lights at the same time (wow)

Yes, I know what is happening to that fly/bee. The owners are really sad to have to paint over it, but the wall was very damp and they had to have it treated, and that process damaged the painting so much it had to go. But they really would like another artwork there, so Im thinking about who to ask. Its quite a scary community responsibility to find someone whose work is universally liked and who the wall owner likes. What do you think of DalEast? http://www.daleast.com/outdoor/ He has incredible movement and is really skilled.

The bee went up in May 2013 as part of the Baroque the Streets festival which was part of the Dulwich Festival. There is another that is nearly complete now - the Iranian artist Mehdi Ghadyanloo http://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2015/feb/26/mehdi-ghadyanloo-tehran-iran-street-art-banksy is putting the finishing touches to it tomorrow. Its on 15 Kinsale Road, SW15 and is a complete marvel. It is a fanciful building with steps and some figures. The perspective is so carefully done (he used an architectural design programme) so there is a particular spot on the pavement opposite that it should be viewed from for the perspective lines to join. Once the scaffolding comes down it will be a jaw dropper.

I love DALeast, it would be great to get another mural on that wall. Would he be prepared to gain inspiration from the Picture Gallery, like some of the other artworks? The girl at a window by East Dulwich station is such a favourite in our family.

Thanks for the update, IngridB.

DALeast looks like a good candidate.

Is there anything/one local to the area that could be the subject, however obliquely - Enid Blyton or Boris Karloff (born on Forest Hill Road, according to a plaque there) or Phyllis Pearsall of A-Z fame could be a good start. Or what about a portrait of Alleyn, complete with Jacobean ruff: http://www.henslowe-alleyn.org.uk/history/images/pubimg/full/edward_alleyn_portrait.jpg

DulwichFox Wrote:

> There was a spate of Graffiti over the last couple

> of years with hideous 'Artworks'

> popping up all over the area.

>

> There were a handful of people on EDF who seemed

> to promote these creations but I believe

> it was more of a case of them trying to wind up

> people who opposed them.

>

> I always thought there was a bit of Nimbyism

> involved there. NO sensible property owner would

> wish to have such a creation on their own

> property.

>

> I think the 'Phase' has now passed.

>

> DulwichFox

I'd love to have one on my house.

So clearly, I am not "a sensible property owner".

Damn :))

redjam Wrote:

> Ooh, I love the look of DalEast's work.

>

> Well done and thank you Ingrid for brightening up

> our local community - we love all the street art

> in our family.

Agreed!

Don't listen to all the miserable people who hate everything :))

It amazes me that in some areas people cannot change their windows or paint their front doors

due to preservation restrictions.

It is obvious that there are people who simple do not care a toss about preservation and are happy

to turn the area into a ghetto.

Show some respect for your neighbours. Not everyone wants to live in a slum.

DulwichFox

Just trying to follow this thread...

Foxy are you saying that these big murals i.e. the fly, cause East Dulwich to be a slum / ghetto ?

I think there's a mural down by what was The Patch and a few on the side roads off LL, surely you're not saying the area is now a slum ?

I'm interested primarily because if the area is now a slum, word may get around and my house value may go down, maybe it's time to bail and move somewhere that is mural-free. Would 'ghetto' impact house prices less than 'slum' ? If so can we say ghetto instead of slum pls.

I am not 100% sold on the graffiti in Dulwich at the moment (and I consider myself a fairly arty person). I love the Victorian boxers near Goose green and a couple of the ones just off Barry Road but I was never keen on this bee/wasp graffiti or a few of the others (especially stickmen and robots on Court Lane). The issue is that art is very subjective and I am not sure why we should be subject to these, just because they may have a name in certain circles in the art world. Why can?t I just create my own bit of graffiti on the front of my house? I can?t even change the styles of my windows without the Estate having a whinge and I would be pretty confident I can beat the stick men in terms of art.

Muley why do you think the murals are created by local people ?

And if you mean the people who own the walls should check with their neighbours first before creating them, should that include passers-by ?

If everyone likes the mural that a person creates on the side of his house, is he a tool ?

If 15% do not like the mural that a person creates on the side of his house, is he a tool (or only 15% tool) ?

Would respect for neighbours only be demonstrable in ED if there were absolutely NO murals, or only if there were murals that had gone up with 100% approval from 'the neighbours' (and please clarify if that includes passers-by) ?

It starts with a 'Bee' ?? which most people thought was a 'Fly'

And it ends with this..

http://cdn.wonderfulengineering.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/graffiti-wallpaper-18-610x396.jpg

Graffiti has become a serious problem in New York, Paris and other Major cities.

DulwichFox

johnie Wrote:

> DulwichFox Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

>

> >

> > There have been many road accidents where

> > drivers were distracted by Graffiti.

> >

>

>

> I've looked quite hard on the web for evidence to

> support this statement, but can't find any. Can

> you point me towards the statistics? Thanks.

Johnie, sadly even if Sir Lord Fox does bother to google...he often still gets it wrong. None of us really know where it all comes from...just take it as part of the entertainment round here..