Racist graffiti at The Hamlet, man sought by Police

15 hours ago, malumbu said:

Spoke to a copper today, the other boroughs offer a little support but not a lot, much of the police numbers are overtime which is as he said double bubble.  But a fine bit of casual racism from said copper, he didn't want to volunteer as he didn't want to be stabbed.

Hopefully most of these stereotypical views have now been kicked out of the Met.  Totally irreverent to the thread of course.  Worked on and off with the Met for a long time and generally seen things improve addressing institutional racism. 

A general request to cut the personal comments, bemused to have the T word used against me but a version of the C word is getting a bit silly.  I'll leave that there.

That simply isn't true.

7000 officers were on duty on Monday, 14,000 officer shifts were logged over the weekend. There's the overtime.

The Met's total officer headcount is just under 34,000.

There are 32 boroughs in Greater London.

Are you honestly trying to suggest that The Royal Borough of Kensington & Chelsea has 20% of all Met officers?

6 or 7 times the borough average?

Strange thing to argue about.  Let's say that there is a 50 50 split between those on a normal shift and those on overtime.  That's around 3500 normal shift out of 34k.  So maybe down 10% down and no doubt shift patterns are changed in the boroughs to spread things out over the weekend ie when there are less cops needed for NH.

Point is that the racist graffiti bloke will be dealt with according to normal police priorities and the carnival will cause a little disruption rather than boroughs being in crisis.

In fact I could suggest that crime would drop in Catford Brixton and some other crime hotspots but that could be read as casual racism.  So I won't.

Edited by malumbu

1 hour ago, malumbu said:

In fact I could suggest that crime would drop in Catford Brixton and some other crime hotspots but that could be read as casual racism.  So I won't

But you did.......and by doing so did you not just engage in hipster racism?

Are Brixton and Catford hipster now? 

I can't even work out where this thread is going. Started off trying to see if anyone recognised the tagger, publicised by the police for racist graffiti. Then, resources of police and if they would attend that crime but not a home burglary, and why so many police attend the carnival but being very clear that there is no stereotypical cause of the violence and that it's proportional to violent crime in Dulwich, so all quite normal and expected.

That doesn't make any sense.

(waiting for the outraged comments as I've missed the point - in which case, summarise it)

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, malumbu said:

In fact I could suggest that crime would drop in Catford Brixton and some other crime hotspots

Not necessarily. The types of crimes may and do change. Coldharbour lane for instance had one stretch of it back in the 90's that was an open crack market. That has gone and now it's full of late night bars the crime levels are still quite high but not drug related. More violence and anti social stuff but crime all the same.

Football is another one. There's much less toe to toe violence to the extent it's quite rare but the arrests for drug possession ( bugle) have soared. As has the numbers for hate chanting / racial/ homophobic chanting.

10 hours ago, Jules-and-Boo said:

I can't even work out where this thread is going. 

That's the nature of human conversation though, isn't it? It meanders. If you meet friends at a coffee shop or pub, you don't only speak the same exact topic from the moment you walk in to the moment you leave...

• Like 1

12 hours ago, tiddles said:

Please get back to the subject please 

After you,,,,,,,,, The  subject and discussion is based on a crime and how it is or isn't being investigated. That will open other avenues of thought and debate but is still relevant to the topic.

They've made an arrest in this case:

'A man, 64, was arrested on Thursday on suspicion of racially-aggravated criminal damage and displaying writing with intent to stir up racial hatred.

He was taken to a south London police station where he was questioned before being bailed pending further enquiries.'

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/racist-graffiti-dulwich-hamlet-fc-police-arrest-b1179875.html

Please be mindful of this in any further comments.

Edited by IlonaM
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2