Racist graffiti at The Hamlet, man sought by Police

• AnotherPaul changed the title to Racist graffiti at The Hamlet, man sought by Police
22 minutes ago, SpringTime said:

I reckon his name is Glen.

???

1 hour ago, Dogkennelhillbilly said:

That's the same handwriting and black marker as the rambling "Dulwich shithole" graffiti that's been on bus stops etc around here for years...⁹

Where did you see the handwriting and black marker? It's been masked in the material the police have publicised.

3 hours ago, GooseGreenGoods said:

There's unfortunately been a few bits of nasty graffiti around Goose Green since the recent riots, some antisemetic, some anti left wing, mostly in thick black marker. Reported to the council, no response, as usual. 

Hate crime is a police matter, why knock the council.

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, SpringTime said:

Come on, Sue. You remember Uncle Glen.

It rings a very very vague bell, but I don't think this is the right thread to discuss it,  given the subject matter.

9 hours ago, malumbu said:

Hate crime is a police matter, why knock the council.

Because they could remove the graffiti?

Yes, I had a look at this link https://www.southwark.gov.uk/street-care/graffiti explains Southwark's responsibilities well, including graffiti on private property where it faces the public, and others eg Network Rail.  They can fine perpetrators up to £5000, so there could be civil action as well as criminal in this case - the latter being the purpose of the thread.

Haven't a clue how long it takes for them to clean up graffiti, that could be a subject of another thread, but saddens me that some take every opportunity to knock the council. 

The Anti Social Behaviour Act 2003 gives local authorities in England powers to compel owners of 'surfaces' to remove graffiti and can charge then costs but I haven't looked to see whether this could be making you remove graffiti that someone else has produced.  I expect that this Act is little used and I'm not bothered in finding out further.

Edited by malumbu

it's a fair bet that the police talk to Southwark, and Southwark, the police.  Uncle Glen would have a view, probably different to most of us (in his words the forum is a  bandwagon for George Monbiot's brainwashed minions), but has not posted since before Covid.  I think he and Rendel who has also disappeared (shame) had some right ding dongs.

Uncle was last heard of posting in support of Katie Hopkins, then some aliens took him away on a traction beam.  Perhaps.

Edited by malumbu

Surely somebody must know this man. He has quite a distinctive face. And cap.

I can't understand if the police can later identify and arrest  masked rioters why they can't identify someone they have a very clear photo of.

2 hours ago, Penguin68 said:

The graffiti is evidence, it shouldn't be cleaned until it is forensically recorded. Not just what it says but the materials used etc. 

DHFC can't leave graffiti in situ in the vague hope that the Met is gonna stop by with the spectrum chromatography machine to analyse the pen ink. Nothing would ever get cleaned up. A photo is fine.

31 minutes ago, Sue said:

I can't understand if the police can later identify and arrest masked rioters why they can't identify someone they have a very clear photo of.

Most of those masked rioters were picked up because there was other footage with them unmasked and they were recognised by local cops, or because someone reported them, or because they were arrested later in the day. It's not fancy software that's digitally stripping off the face masks from the video. Those guys - and the alleged graffiti person whoever they may be - aren't exactly master criminals.

Besides, it's only been a day since the appeal went out, and just because we don't know of any developments, it doesn't mean there haven't been any...

3 hours ago, malumbu said:

The Anti Social Behaviour Act 2003 gives local authorities in England powers to compel owners of 'surfaces' to remove graffiti and can charge then costs but I haven't looked to see whether this could be making you remove graffiti that someone else has produced.

They can but for individual bits of graffiti it's going to be a lot quicker and cheaper for the council to send around a technician with some solvents and paint than it is to have lawyers spend weeks imposing notices on landlord and recovering costs.

As for the "Dulwich bum bum shithole" black marker graffiti on the bus stops, i think I've rubbed it off with hand sanitiser while waiting for a bus. I have to walk all over Dulwich and I've seen it all over, it is quite distinctive once you spot them.

46 minutes ago, Sue said:

He has quite a distinctive face. And cap.

The cap is a kids' cap, which is why it doesn't fit the person's adult-sized. Gonna speculate that it wasn't bought by or for them...

https://klckids.com/paris-tokyo-london-baskili-sapka

• Agree 1

Remembered where I'd seen another bit. This is the phone box outside Alleyns on East Dulwich Grove. Not talking about the big swoopy thing in black marker - zoom into the edges, starting with top left corner:

"Shit hole area Dulwich is gone shit holy shit fuck shitty government..."

Evidently the scrawls at DHFC were offensive and intimidating and the person who did them can't be allowed to continue this bullshit. But all this seems like loopy behaviour by an individual rather than some kind of organised political extremism. 

IMG-20240824-WA0011.thumb.jpg.27b4d9179d051782ec67c0a69f49436e.jpg

• Agree 2

14 hours ago, malumbu said:

Haven't a clue how long it takes for them to clean up graffiti, that could be a subject of another thread, but saddens me that some take every opportunity to knock the council. 

Malumbu, out of interest why do you love Southwark Council so much? In your eyes they can seem to do no wrong and you always get upset when people try to hold them to account, yet they're not even your council. Why the love affair and fan-boi approach to Southwark Council?

Edited by Rockets
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Dogkennelhillbilly said:

DHFC can't leave graffiti in situ in the vague hope that the Met is gonna stop by with the spectrum chromatography machine to analyse the pen ink. Nothing would ever get cleaned up. A photo is fine

Where the graffito is an offense, the author of which which may be prosecuted for the message itself, as a hate crime, (rather than simple vandalism) then removing that evidence is deeply unhelpful. Much graffiti is simply messy or rude and can be removed or painted over of course. If you want to prove authorship for a much more serious offence than vandalism then the materials used may be relevant, where there is no other evidence of authorship. 

• Agree 1

There is cctv footage of authorship. If they do find the culprit and find a marker pen in his possessions where the ink matches the graffiti, will there be anything to distinguish it from thousands of others of the same model made?  CCTV plus the reported eye witness testimony is more likely to lead to a conviction.

1 hour ago, Jenijenjen said:

will there be anything to distinguish it from thousands of others of the same model made? 

No, of course not - and the CCTV footage will help in any conviction - but if there is other graffiti which is of a similar criminal nature using the same ink this will support further convictions (or further cases being taken into account) as regards sentencing where it can be shown that he has access to, or has used, these inks in the past. Circumstantial, of course, but that is acceptable evidence to offer to a jury, together with graphologist evidence possibly as an expert witness. My point is simply that in the case of a serious crime, as this would be, destroying evidence before it can be assessed and recorded forensically is extremely poor practice. If it is so offensive to read then covering it up (a sheet across the graffito fixed so as not to disturb the evidence) would be acceptable.