Cyclists &Pavements

This is my bugbear. I don't mind kids being on the pavement, as long as they don't whizz along like maniacs, but when you have a caring parent riding alongside too, thinking it's all right because their offspring is cycling on the pavement with them, that's super annoying. I ask cyclists on the pavement to get on the road; it sometimes works.

I am not bothered if parents ride along with their kids on the pavement, I think if the child is learning/young, the mum/dad would have to stay with them, and chances are, they will be going slow anyway.

I do get upset when I see an adult on their own, on the pavement. Its dangerous. A few times, including recently, I've had a cyclist come from behind and go past me, without me hearing them coming. What if I moved to the side, into their path, last minute? Its really dangerous.

StraferJack Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> 12 years in east dulwich and I reckon I have had a

> cyclist pass me on pavement once

>

> Is this really a problem?

Yes it's a huge problem, especially on the stretch of pavement around The Clockhouse which I pass every day in both directions & most days, sometimes twice a day adult cyclists will speed round that corner on the pavement of Barry Rd & Peckham Rye & they seem to think it is normal to do so. I have been meaning for a long time to inform James Barber of this to see if there's anything at all that can be done about this.

I see it fairly often, have noticed it more being out with a buggy recently, it's such a pain! I remember walking near ED station with my dad when I was younger, he asked two teens (definitely old enough to know better) to stop cycling on the pavement and one of them ended up assaulting him, was awful.

On at least one occasion I have told off a yummy mummy who has been cycling on the pavement with whom she sanctimoniously calls her "little one". I have told her that she is committing a criminal offence. A look of horror has come over his face since she clearly takes the view that crimes are only committed by members of the "lower orders" and not by hard working, law abiding, middle class people like her.

Along with boy racer cyclists who believe that they can do what they like because they're saving the planet, it's cyclists like this who give those cyclists who abide by the rules a bad name; and they are setting a very bad example to their "little ones".

I find hard to believe that StraferJack has in 12 years in ED only had a cyclist pass him on pavement once. I have at least one cyclist passing me on the pavement every day.

Hi yes it is problem often teens doing the wild riding on pavement.........it is illegal in countryside police stop you caution you.

children is okay if not road worthy...re not trained.....be nice a lot cyclists actaully learnt road safety there is official course for kids i learnt it at school..most helpful...wouldn't say see a lot this in Dulwich some but not regular.....more common see cyclists dark clothing no lights .

countrlass

Ratty, if you don't live here anymore, why are you bothering to post on an ED site? Perhaps you should (in your words, not mine) "get a fooking life" and become interested in issues in your area rather than wasting your time on this site, which should no longer be of any concern of yours.

Perhaps, if, like my wife, you had nearly been knocked over and injured by someone cycling at speed on the pavement, you might take the problem seriously.

As a regular London cyclist who hasn't owned a car for 20 years, I have to say, I completely agree. Over 16, maximum, and you're more than big enough to ride on the road.

At risk of being a hypocrite however, I have to confess, that I often pavement-ride the final 3 metres or so to my flat, but only if there's no one walking on the pavement. I get this wierd kick out of being able to wobble all the way to my garden gate and am working up to being able to unlock it without putting my feet down. Probably not a good idea at my advanced age.

Zebedee Tring Wrote:

> life!

>

> --------------------

> I don't live here anymore! >

>

> Ratty, if you don't live here anymore, why are you

> bothering to post on an ED site? Perhaps you

> should (in your words, not mine) "get a fooking

> life" and become interested in issues in your area

> rather than wasting your time on this site, which

> should no longer be of any concern of yours.

>

> Perhaps, if, like my wife, you had nearly been

> knocked over and injured by someone cycling at

> speed on the pavement, you might take the problem

> seriously.

Ooh that's me told!

Jonathan62 Wrote:

> Why do some cyclists think it's okay to ride on

> the pavement?

Because, in some places, it is okay. By which I don't mean okay, but deliberately encouraged by the council or TfL, as on stretches of the South Circular at Dulwich Common or the intriguing little puzzle at the bottom of Friern Road. There are other bits and pieces where tiny signs, sometimes facing the right way, suggest that an optimistic designer, or a deranged sign-fixer, once thought they could get away with it, but their limits are unclear, and they would be a matter of debate if anyone had ever bothered to notice them.

Naturally, that doesn't mean it is okay. Pedestrians, dogs, the turds of dogs, the children of pedestrians, buggies, trees and the various holes, barriers, cabinets and bollards that ornament the built environment are indubitably hazardous, and the proliferation of entrances, concealed or otherwise, that betray the concrete aspirations of front-garden one-upmanship or back-garden speculation, each a potential death-trap in itself, don't make things easier. And that's just the officially-designated 'shared-use' pavements that form such an important part of what they chillingly call the "Safe Routes to Schools". The rest are just suicidal.

Nevertheless, that didn't stop a doctor of this parish from writing with almost impressive detachment to a local paper some years ago complaining that cyclists failed to use shared pavements, risking both their necks and cluttering a very doctor's journey to work. I can only imagine that the exhortation must have had a lasting, if misplaced, effect, resulting in the "scope creep" we've been witnessing ever since. Everyone trusts a quack, after all.

Barry Road is the worst. I don't mind little kids who aren't normally going fast. I don't even mind their parents. Teenagers and adults - they are going fast and I do mind and it is dangerous when they're behind you. "Keep 'em peeled doesn't work for those of us without eyes in the back of our heads".

muffins78 Wrote:

A few times,

> including recently, I've had a cyclist come from

> behind and go past me, without me hearing them

> coming. What if I moved to the side, into their

> path, last minute?

What would happen is the cyclist would swear at you and say it was your fault. In my experience anyway.

My old aunt was knocked down by a pavement cyclist some years ago on the stretch of pavement between Landells and CP Rd and broke her arm. She was deaf and even though wearing her hearing aid, did not hear him come up behind her. He fled quickly so witnesses informed us, if the police could have found him he would have been charged.

Pugwash, that's awful and I totally empathise! Your aunt must have got an awful fright and its almost the problem I have! I've ear problems and now that it is Summer, I don't have the luxury of been able to wear earmuffs to protect them - instead I have headphones in, a case of something is better than nothing. My hearing will be excellent today, but tomorrow very poor - and like Ruffers said, I'd be blamed for any incident, because I suppose the cyclist could say he called out and I was listening to music or something. Ruffers, what happened to you?

Its a shame that the culprit had no decency, to simply stop, help and apologise to your aunt.

I rarely see any copper or their "wee, pretendy" counterparts asking pavement cyclists to dismount: indeed, I've watched them step aside for illegal pavement cyclists! Mind you, they probably need to be in threes at least before they do anything so potentially dangerous as asking a cyclist to not cycle on a pavement.....