Unbelievable fees for parking

As a resident of the Gardens, the massive amount of non local parking on the street has got really bad. Many days it’s hard to find a parking spot. Out of curiosity I checked the CPZ fees from Southwark and they’re eye watering expensive. No wonder most of Peckham are parking in East Dulwich https://www.thegazette.co.uk/notice/4572402

It’s actually cheaper to park in  Westminster and Chelsea. The joys of living in an anti car local authority https://www.westminster.gov.uk/sites/default/files/media/documents/parking_tariffs_08apr2024.pdf

Edited by Peckham Park
Added detail

Oh my, an informal carer's permit is £155. Let's penalise family and friends visiting to care for their relatives and mates.

Also unbelievable that Southwark Labour will penalise ordinary residents to have people care for them while they merrily shell out £5 million for a totally unnecessary created social space, in one of the wealthiest parts of the borough. 

Edited by first mate
  • Like 1

Costs seem fairly reasonable, you will already be paying 1000s of pounds a year to own a car in any case.  For some it may be a tipping point to getting rid of their car, using public transport and active travel more, and/or car clubs.  There are hundreds of posts already for and against CPZs on this forum.  Ultimately drivers and owners need to make smarter choices on using their vehicles.

For those with care responsibilities it may well be a "tipping point" but not in the way you suggest.
Where care responsibilities come into play I do think there can be other priorities. 'Smarter' choices does sound patronising and smug, given the context.

In terms of other posts on CPZ etc..; it is really not for you to try to censor or shut down opinions. If you don't like it then desist and don't comment.

Edited by first mate
  • Like 2
  • Agree 3

We've been saying the same things and having the same arguments about CPZs, LTNs, ULEZ, the joys and benefits of active travel, etc for the last two or three years.  All rather tedious wouldn't you say? 

What would your term be for using private cars more efficiently and environmentally?  Happy to have a better term than smarter driving.  But too much dumb driving at the moment.

Edited by malumbu
Forgot to mention cyclists
  • Thanks 1

You frame the discussions as tedious, yet keep participating? You cannot just make a problem disappear because people disagree and you'd prefer they did not. People will keep on questioning when what they see happening contradicts the preferred narrative.

I'd prefer 'smarter' spending by our Labour council. I am sure we can all think of much better ways of spending the £5 million they are currently chucking at their vanity project, Dulwich Sq. No doubt the developers of the brand new private luxury housing, adjacent to the square, were over the moon to be gifted their very own special car free zone to complement their gated community. I bet that sent valuations soaring.

• Like 1

The concept that paying a fee to park will stop you driving is frankly ludicrous, if a driver has the choice between paying a small fortune to have a car outside their house all day plus cost of public transport vs driving the same car to a free car park at work (for example) then it's a no brainer which they choose and the cost of a CPZ hasn't then detered them from choosing alternative transport and encouraged them to drive more.

Equally for a lot of people, especially outside of the center of London, a car is the only viable form of transport available and whilst, as Mal likes to harbinger on about, it's a big expense it is not always a luxury so additional costs of ownership (parking, tolls, congestion charges) don't discourage but do remove family funding from much needed areas (food, clothes... ) 

It's about time local authorities and government stopped seeing car drivers as a source of income and had grown up conversations about what is needed to help people become less reliable on cars. All that is occurring at the moment is resentment and the feeling that a car is a cash cow for authorities to milk. 

• Like 1

On 09/08/2024 at 07:50, Spartacus said:

The concept that paying a fee to park will stop you driving is frankly ludicrous, if a driver has the choice between paying a small fortune to have a car outside their house all day plus cost of public transport vs driving the same car to a free car park at work (for example)...

So you're saying if that person had to pay for parking at work they might not drive...? 🤔 

Edited by Dogkennelhillbilly

3 hours ago, Dogkennelhillbilly said:

So you're saying if that person had to pay for parking at work they might not drive...? 🤔 

Absolutely not, I knew someone would ask that sort of stupid question hence why the words "for example" followed it. 

If the cost of parking outside your own home is higher or the same as parking at your destination then maybe some people would choose to drive under those circumstances so a cpz where parking is restricted during the day doesn't make sense as a tool for reducing ownership and driving, however councils have hoodwinked us by using parking pressures and reduction in driving as an excuse for rolling them out. 

As I said, it's about time a constructive discussion was had maybe with a methaphorical carrot rather than a financial stick.... 

Edited by Spartacus

Again you try to find hidden meaning in things. 😅 I am not going to be drawn by you nit picking a few words that you have selectively focused on.

Accept the fact that a proper comstructive conversation needs to be had over how to incentives people to be less reliant on cars, where it is realistic and practical,  rather than using a stick and making money from it. 

Unfortunately the human psyche is more lilkely to push back at being forced to do something, rather than discussing and agreeing a joint way forward. 

32 minutes ago, Dogkennelhillbilly said:

Just trying to work out whether you do or don't think that parking fees reduce car journeys. Your post seems to suggest that parking fees at workplaces do but parking fees at residences don't.

It doesn't suggest that at all, you are simply twisting words to suit your narrative. If you think I did then you are very suggestible. 

Edited by Spartacus

I stopped driving into central London when I could no longer find free parking.  Not that I did it very often.  I'm not angry about it and fully agree with paying for parking on many roads.

Criminal how much they charge, especially as they won't even provide adequate sized spaces for the price. Your get what you get.

I cannot believe how long I have to spend driving round looking for a good space some days. It is very galling when I'm being treated as a cash cow and massively inconvenienced at the same time.

33 minutes ago, Dogkennelhillbilly said:

Ahh, okay.

So you don't think parking fees reduce car journeys?

Again, truing to twist and put words in my mouth that I didn't say.  

Maybe you should work for the Trump campaign as your tactics seem to echo his 🤣

On 09/08/2024 at 07:50, Spartacus said:

The concept that paying a fee to park will stop you driving is frankly ludicrous

51 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

truing to twist and put words in my mouth that I didn't say.  

Do you think that parking fees reduce car journeys - yes or no?