Too many swimmers Dulwich Leisure centre

They now have strict numbers for swimming but some people seem to stroll in halfway through the session I assume without a booking so the pool gets so crowded especially with babies and kids that nobody can relax and swim. Staff don't care, including lifeguards.

You pay for the slot but you can arrive at any point. I often go at 1245 for the 1200 to 1330 slot. There shouldn't be any lane swimmers when parent and kids are there so if that's the case then raise with mgmt.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, Tuffstuff100 said:

You pay for the slot but you can arrive at any point. I often go at 1245 for the 1200 to 1330 slot. There shouldn't be any lane swimmers when parent and kids are there so if that's the case then raise with mgmt.

Yes, it's my understanding that the lane swimming is completely separate sessions.

I thought that the family sessions were for people who just want to enjoy themselves playing about in the water, or for new or scared swimmers who are still getting used to walking about in the pool, rather than seriously swimming in it.

But maybe things have changed, it's  a while since I've been.

Edited by Sue

You definitely can't 'stroll in'. You have to  book and often well in advance - if you turn up you would only be able to get in if there's a space and you pay. And as someone else said you can come at any point during the session. There are no families/young kids in the lane swim sessions and if you want a quiet swim you need to book for a lane session! It's much easier to get a last-minute swim at Peckham but obviously not as convenient if you're in ED - and I like the glass ceiling at the ED pool, plus the showers are better. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 2

Oh, such first world problems, if you're disgruntled about "over crowding" as someone has already said, go discuss it with the management or whoever is on duty. Venting here is highly unlikley to make any difference, unless you're trying to see if others have a similar experience to you

• Agree 1

That's a bit harsh on the OP.

But it is the middle of summer and schools are on holiday, so it's a busy time. If the OP is worried that it's dangerously overcrowded, then it's fair enough to ask the staff about it. Otherwise - schools are back at the beginning of September and it'll be much quieter then.

• Like 2

Lane swimming and open pool should be scheduled at different times, and children should not be allowed in lane swimming unless they are doing that activity.

Not clear if the staff are mixing the two up, or if too many lane swimmers are being admitted.

If you book on line, it will tell you if it is a lane swim/ family swim/ mens/ladies session.  If you book in person or by phone, you should ask for lane swim/ family swim etc.  I have never seen babies / children in the lane sessions I have attended and I'm sure the lifeguards / other attendees would notice and raise it.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ctovey said:

If you book on line, it will tell you if it is a lane swim/ family swim/ mens/ladies session.  If you book in person or by phone, you should ask for lane swim/ family swim etc.  I have never seen babies / children in the lane sessions I have attended and I'm sure the lifeguards / other attendees would notice and raise it.

Also it should be clear at the time of the session,  because for lane swimming the pool is divided into lanes (fast, slow etc) whereas for the family/open swim or whatever it's called, it isn't.

It wouldn't be appropriate to have babies in the lane swimming sessions, and I've never seen children in them so I have no idea if there's an age limit, however presumably they would have to be able to swim and be able to go in the deep end (not that it's very deep at Dulwich!)

But I haven't been there during school holidays.

Edited by Sue

As mentioned above there are no children in the lane swims and they are separate sessions. Lane swims are usually early, lunchtime and evenings in the week. It shows clearly if it's a lane swim or a public swim when you book. Sometimes there are teenagers, but only ones doing proper lane swims!