Bora taking over the pavement on LL?

Well we are. It's just a comment as the context is not the same as if we are in the Med.

Also, more traffic than there was in 1800s Peckham.

like comparing apples and bicycles really - doesn't make a valid case.

And there's no point in guessing whether I care or don't care - as you don't know and I haven't said.

• Confused 2

Looking at the photos 

1. They have fruit and veg out on their forecourt and leaving the pavement free, this is allowed as the forecourt is part of the shop frontage 

2. The cover is above the paved area, providing a clear passageway through for pedestrians and wheelchair users. Nobody is being denied passage or access. 

3. Nobody is being harmed by them protecting the fruit from direct sun,and it may well help their environmental impact by fruit not going off and being wasted.  

4. If you feel strongly about it, go talk to the owners, complaining on social media will get you vitriol and sarcastic comments in return as it is really to hot to be ar$ed to be petty. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

We'll have none of that dangerously foreign "attractive shop fronts" nonsense here thank you.

20 minutes ago, Angelina said:

Well we are. It's just a comment as the context is not the same as if we are in the Med.

Also, more traffic than there was in 1800s Peckham.

like comparing apples and bicycles really - doesn't make a valid case.

And there's no point in guessing whether I care or don't care - as you don't know and I haven't said.

It's been high 20s low 30s pretty much all week South London.  Identical weather to many areas of the South of France.  In that scenario it is reasonable for the shop owner to want to shade their soft fruit from the sun. 

• Agree 3

37 minutes ago, Cyclemonkey said:

We'll have none of that dangerously foreign "attractive shop fronts" nonsense here thank you.

It's been high 20s low 30s pretty much all week South London.  Identical weather to many areas of the South of France.  In that scenario it is reasonable for the shop owner to want to shade their soft fruit from the sun. 

It's been weeks, not last few hot days!  Just saying, I don't use the shop and couldn't care less!

And then, all the other little shops up and down the road decide to do the same - ice cream needs to be shaded, diners kept cool, the butcher needs shade so the meat doesn't go off, Poundland needs more space as it can't get all it's stock inside, the charity shops bring out the clothes rails......

then we could argue that we can close the roads to traffic.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 2
  • Agree 1

mad extrapolation based on absolutely nothin, most of which even if it happened wouldn't be a problem (the saner ones anyway - dunno what you can do with someone pretending charity shops would be wheeling out rails onto the pavement/street)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

If everyone blocked the pavement then it would be blocked.  But seeing as they aren't, it isn't. 

On board with your suggestion of closing the road to cars though!😃

Edited by Cyclemonkey
  • Like 4

Maybe we can replace the independent shops in that part of lordship lane with a costa coffee and maybe a Lidl.

Their corporate HQs would make sure they have all the right permits before they put out advertising boards or plastic seats on the pavement.

We must stop local grocer shops putting beautiful fruit displays out, otherwise the local butchers might have a queue of people on the pavement, or god forbid the fishmongers has an oyster shucker outside, or the cheese shop puts a cheese tasting stall on the pavement.

Where will it end!!!

Angelina and DiD 

What are your goals posting on this thread? 

Do you want to see Bora closed down, the unit become vacant and unrented only for the landlord to let another charity fill a space on our high street? 

Then what, go after William Rose  the ice cream parlor and a few others until we have a desolate unvisitable high street because all you can buy will be coffee and charity (over exaggerating to make a point) 

If you have an issue with Bora, tell them, otherwise leave independents alone to thrive and enhance our high street.

When I was younger, so much younger than today, my local high street had 5 greengrocers in it, which the supermarkets killed when they opened up. Sadly missed as they provided a variety of different tasty goods, advice and a hub for the elderly to visit daily for a little chat (about price of carrots, best way to cook xyz or what's good and in season) 

Sadly we seem to have lost community spirit and some of us want bland supermarket goods, despite the issues it causes our farmers and the countryside. 

Guess next you will go after the gift shops because amazon does it so much cheaper (here's to you Mrs Robinson, amazon wants to close you more than you will know, whoa whoa whoa) 

East Dulwich is great because it is mostly independent and eclectic so why make it difficult for our lovely businesses to survive? 

Edited by Spartacus
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

Posted (edited)

So I wasn't intending to make this into a major issue, I want the shop to remain.  I just found it curious. I occasionally walk my bike on the pavement to get between two shops, and wouldn't be able to do it through there, nor could I slip onto the road briefly if needed, which is a small issue not a big one.  

On Choumert, where they have had awnings in the past, there is no traffic, so it's easy to slip onto the road.

But I've been put in my place! Live and let live.

(And as an interesting point of comment, the people who told me that I should have better things to do with my time than complain about an awning clearly have a lot of time to spew unnecessary vitriol on EDF! Perhaps you should heed your own advice?)

Edited by DiD
added a small thought

1 hour ago, DiD said:

So I wasn't intending to make this into a major issue, I want the shop to remain.  I just found it curious. I occasionally walk my bike on the pavement to get between two shops, and wouldn't be able to do it through there, nor could I slip onto the road briefly if needed, which is a small issue not a big one.  

On Choumert, where they have had awnings in the past, there is no traffic, so it's easy to slip onto the road.

But I've been put in my place! Live and let live.

(And as an interesting point of comment, the people who told me that I should have better things to do with my time than complain about an awning clearly have a lot of time to spew unnecessary vitriol on EDF! Perhaps you should heed your own advice?)

I shouldn't worry about it,  you are entitled to an opinion.  I thought it strange as well, as I have never seen a shop put up makeshift sheets to protect their fruit and veg in my life, an awning usually does the job.  Perhaps they are in a particularly sunny spot.

22 hours ago, ArchieCarlos said:

As Malumbu says, it's nothing new. Below are some pictures of Choumert Street market in Peckham during the summer. As you can see the awnings cover the whole sidewalk.

So Bora is not causing any impediment to anyone, giving some free shade to pedestrians and a nice spectacle of fruit display - case closed.

If you guys are looking for something to argue about, why don't you join the LTN debate on the transport forum?

e8b3d3d53e27632c300c53d9413926e5.jpg

e145002916058644480c6d3b047de12f.jpg

It's Choumert Road not street.

We have pavements in Sarf London not sidewalks.

They are awnings over the shops and market stalls next to the kerb.

• Agree 1

Bora needs to get a bigger awning to cover their outside display and not do what is shown in the photos. They have effectively made a wall up against the kerb which is not part of their property and stopped pedestrians being able to access the pavement or kerb there.  

They’ve also placed part of their display on the pavement - where the watermelon and other melons are. Their frontage ends further back.  You can see where the pavement starts and their cartilage ends.  They’ve also encroached on the pavement on the far right hand side with their display.

Was like this with the previous owner?

• Agree 2

Next time I’m having a drink in Franklin’s and need a fag, I shall stand on the pavement outside Bora and chain smoke. Neither the owner or his sprauncy punters could object, surely? I’d be on the pavement, in the open air,  in what is the public realm? 

35 minutes ago, Froglander said:

Bora needs to get a bigger awning to cover their outside display and not do what is shown in the photos. They have effectively made a wall up against the kerb which is not part of their property and stopped pedestrians being able to access the pavement or kerb there.  

They’ve also placed part of their display on the pavement - where the watermelon and other melons are. Their frontage ends further back.  You can see where the pavement starts and their cartilage ends.  They’ve also encroached on the pavement on the far right hand side with their display.

Was like this with the previous owner?

Can I suggest again you go and talk to them and discuss your dis-pleasure at how they are trying to protect their produce from the strong sun, and wait for their reaction, when they'll probably politely suggest you do one.

But in the mean time how about letting a business trade, as this is only going to be a temporary measure during these exceedingly hot periods. Take an ice bath and chill down. 

• Agree 1