Bora taking over the pavement on LL?

I noticed today when I tried to cross the road at the corner where Bora is that they have installed a fabric awning that is attached to the curb, covering up the pavement and blocking you from crossing the road here, so you have to effectively walk under a tent to get through them to the other side.

I get that they want to protect their veg from the sun, but this seems a bit much! 

Is this allowed by the council?  

• Agree 1

Absolutely disgusting! The council should be shutting them down at once and have their tomatoes thrown on the facade for good measure! Nothing less will satisfy my outrage.

More seriously it's a strange thing to be complaining about. Yes, you need to walk under their drape/awning thing to cross the pavement - but is that really so bad? 

Edited by ArchieCarlos
  • Like 3

People shouldn’t have to walk off the (relative) safety of the footpath (a public pedestrian highway) onto a road (that’s meant for motor vehicles and cyclists - though local experience would suggest otherwise on that last point!) 

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Froglander said:

Can you post a photo?  Sounds like it would affect visually impaired and other disabled people, including wheel chair users.

You could always go look for yourself, then make an educated post on social media if it does or satisfy yourself that it doesn't if there is enough room for mobility challenged pedestrians. 

In interests of science I walked the stretch in question.  The awning is anchored on the road flush against the curb.  No part of it blocks the pavement.  The cottony material grazed my forearm with a gentle touch.

• Haha 1

Could we perhaps support our wonderful local businesses rather than looking for things to complain about? We're awfully lucky to have such a great green grocer--I am a regular customer and regularly find things there that I can't find anywhere else.

• Agree 7

Here are some pictures which show that it's not obstructing anything or anyone.

Seriously people, just live and let live. I can't believe you would want to bother the council, waste taxpayer money, waste your own time and seek to harm a local business because of a piece of white cloth. Of all the fights to be fought, I'm sure you can find a more worthy cause to defend with your time. 

Screenshot 2024-07-31 at 19.19.34.png

Screenshot 2024-07-31 at 19.19.41.png

btw their French black plums are really good right now, same for the French melons (cheaper than the Italian ones). 

Edited by ArchieCarlos
  • Like 3
  • Agree 5

Unlike the supermarkets their fruit isn't kept constantly chilled by air conditioners and refridgeration units, so they need to keep it covered in the hot sun to avoid it spoiling.  Covers like this (and misters) are common in traditional greengrocers in southern French towns.

Perhaps applaud them for their environmentally friendly solution and stop moaning.

• Like 3
  • Agree 5

4 hours ago, Cyclemonkey said:

Unlike the supermarkets their fruit isn't kept constantly chilled by air conditioners and refridgeration units, so they need to keep it covered in the hot sun to avoid it spoiling.  Covers like this (and misters) are common in traditional greengrocers in southern French towns.

Perhaps applaud them for their environmentally friendly solution and stop moaning.

Yes, by all means, but don’t use that praise as a shield against any valid criticism of that shop’s (or any other’s) blocking a footpath for pedestrians/wheelers (if that is the case). 

13 minutes ago, Angelina said:

We're not in Southern France, we're in South London

Weird comment, but even if it wasn't.. fruit doesn't know where it is being sold and will spoil in the sun. So we can learn from countries that have more sun, rather than stating that we don't live in those countries

do you see???

• Thanks 1

They have space inside the shop as well. They’ve just opted to extend their shop across the pavement.

And honestly, we don’t have the same weather in South London 

Edited by Angelina
  • Sad 2

As Malumbu says, it's nothing new. Below are some pictures of Choumert Street market in Peckham during the summer. As you can see the awnings cover the whole sidewalk.

So Bora is not causing any impediment to anyone, giving some free shade to pedestrians and a nice spectacle of fruit display - case closed.

If you guys are looking for something to argue about, why don't you join the LTN debate on the transport forum?

e8b3d3d53e27632c300c53d9413926e5.jpg

e145002916058644480c6d3b047de12f.jpg

• Like 2
  • Agree 1