McDonalds in East Dulwich

Harry Ramsdens spring to mind, i've been in one of those in Sydney and Orlando. Spud U Like is in the UK and Ireland as well as in parts of south-east Asia. Beefeater restaurants are in the USA and Australia. I am sure there are more I shall have a think.

I take your point that McDonalds arnt exactly going to save the planet with an extra 6,000 jobs but they are jobs which I am sure some in the community would be very grateful for to help them survive at such a bad time for the economy. Some people seem to just take pleasure at knocking anything American and even when they are doing something positive they are seen as being evil capitalists hell bent on taking over the world. Let's give them a break once in a while I say.

Louisa.

haha

The "anti Capitalists" are a well weaning but naive lot - if it is possible to categorise such a disparete group of nutters, splitters & cod-seditionists under one umbrella? As to the vandalism, ( I have to extra careful today Admin ), I fail to see the difference between a local biz and a corporate - neither of them would be there if there was not profit for them, so singling out McD is a bit knee jerk ( dare I say it ) Guardian reader Naomi Kelin uninspired second hand drivel- at what point does a business move from local/ comfy to global/ scarey ? if Hope and Greenwood opened up in Seattle, would they then move into the latter category ? How many angels can dance on the head of a pin ?

thin thinking from many involved

Quote Frankly, the french can fuck off with their demonstations - their own brand of nationalistic protecionism has ben interpreted as some kind of stand against international capital ( i.e. 'Merica ) but its fuck everyone else protectionism - the French Unions are a disgrace for going along with this

How this affects ED I dunno, but I will be in the city on the 1st

6000 union-supressing McJobs, most of which are minimum wage. All hail McDonalds.

The anti-capitalist brigade who condone violence ironically set themselves back as their point becomes overshadowed.

Better to just not eat there if you have a problem with their setup. If you recruit enough people to share the same view then you'll hit them financially - smashing up one store does nothing.

Indeed, I choose not to. Unfortunately some people lack the bigger picture of McD e.g. the point you made above regarding union suppressing and poor working conditions, and say 'oh, a burger now and then won't harm anyone'. Sadly that's not really the case. It's just an example of being blinkered.

in response to Lenks' post above

A job at ?5.50 an hour is a job at ? 5.50 an hour - its all slavery - so whether you sell vulgar shoes, envelopes or flip processed burgers for a living, its to the same end, same exploitation, same tragic waste of a life

Louisa Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> archic Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > I hope Uk and little community villages like ED

> or

> > Bellenden Village will be strong enough to

> refuse

> > MACshit processed "food" and Starbucks's

> > disgraceful coffee. Go to France or Italy and

> then

> > come back to join me smash their windows up!

> Who

> > needs sad american chain food in uk ???

>

> Ermm excuse me? How dare you come on here and

> suggest that we should go around vandalising

> businesses! How about other chain food from other

> countries around the world? Why is there such

> anti-Americanism on your part? I find people like

> you a complete and utter disgrace, Admin can you

> please tell this person that this is not the place

> to be making political arguments from the

> anti-capitalist brigade.

>

> Louisa.

You might like to read archics comments on the African restaurant on Bellenden road on the 'Bellenden going up or down' thread. Its not just Mc D s he objects to.

snorky Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> A job at ?5.50 an hour is a job at ? 5.50 an hour

> - its all slavery - so whether you sell vulgar

> shoes, envelopes or flip processed burgers for a

> living, its to the same end, same exploitation,

> same tragic waste of a life

Best to to invoke the union card either - for too long, the unions have either been in the pocket of the employers or following their own neo-nationalistic agenda - todays super unions trade on the success of their original founders all thsoe decades ago

I know, ports in storms etc

Im in a union, in an industrry that probabaly has less union members that McDs

part of the probelm is that we have accepted what we we see around us as the only option - acceptence of the mediocre and the vanilla - the union may be the ultimate option for most, but its not much of an option at all

um

why on earth would someone go to McDonalds to eat burger and fries when they can pick up a perfectly reasonable burger and fries from Iceland, probably for just ?1

Middle-class t+ssers.

That is absolute genius! It's mental all the middle classes you see in MacDonald's, because they think Iceland isn't good enough! ... Oh, wait a sec, no it isn't really is it.

Would love to hear your take on Gourmet Burger Kitchen!

What you need Keef is a lovely thick strawberry milkshake

actually this morning around 8am - had just been to pickup a delivery from the sorting office in Peckham, was feeling hungry and felt the golden arches luring me in - first time I'd been in since the refurb and it was spotless - the sausage and egg McMuffin was delicious...