Looking for good seamstress to mend appalling job

Hi, I bought a super special pair of jeans for my daughter with money my dad gave me from my mum’s estate. These jeans have now been ruined by a local business I’ve been using for some time with both legs too short and one shorter than the other. I’m so upset. Is there anyone who could help (and could do all my alterations going forward)? Thank you.

IMG_2789.jpeg

So sorry to hear this. How upsetting.

If you told them exactly what was required and they didn't do it, surely the local business you used should pay to replace the jeans? 

Thank you, Sue. I’ve not spoken to the business yet but will do so tomorrow. Never been in this situation so not sure what to expect. And frankly wondering how anyone could have such disrespect for people’s garments.

1 hour ago, Monkey said:

Thank you, Sue. I’ve not spoken to the business yet but will do so tomorrow. Never been in this situation so not sure what to expect. And frankly wondering how anyone could have such disrespect for people’s garments.

Might be a good idea to google before you speak to them to try to find out your legal position (but whatever, definitely speak to the business asap).

There is probably info on the MoneySavingExpert website, maybe Which (I think you only have to be a member to get the info about specific brands, not general info).

The citizens advice bureau could also help, but I have no idea if they will give advice over the phone.

Don't let the business fob you off, and don't agree with anything they offer until you are very clear about your exact legal position.

Good luck, I really feel for you.

Not really sure how they can be remedied if both legs are cut too short?  It doesn't look as though they have left any hem to let down.

Who took the measurements for the length of the trousers?  I would go back to the shop in any case as it is unacceptable for the leg lengths to differ.  Take the receipt for the jeans and ask to be reimbursed for the value of jeans and the cost of alteration.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 14/07/2024 at 11:16, Froglander said:

Awful and upsetting.  Let us know what happens.  Can you PM the name and location of the company.

Yes PM me too pls as I'm about to post an ad looking for someone to do alterations. Good luck!

There's a brilliant seamstress in Brockley. The business is called The Workshop. Sorry I can't seem to post a link from my phone. She did my daughter's wedding dress.

I don't think there's much you do to repair jeans if they're too short though. The best you.might hope for is to even them out. Technically, they should be replaced but realistically, good luck with chasing that...

• Thanks 1

Whoa! Before there is all this talk of claiming and insisting they pay for a replacement, speak to them first!

It's incredibly unfair and even aggressive to go down this route without actually speaking to the person who did the work. They might offer a solution!

So they’ve not offered a solution and insist the legs are of equal length. In any event, the stitching is wonky and some of it is already coming off. Seems like their usual (and excellent tailor) was away so the guy probably did the job himself or sent it somewhere else.  Anyway - not going to waste any more time on it.

I’ve had many excellent recommendations for the Workshop in Crofton Park and this is where I shall be taking my alterations from now on.

16 minutes ago, Monkey said:

So they’ve not offered a solution and insist the legs are of equal length. In any event, the stitching is wonky and some of it is already coming off. Seems like their usual (and excellent tailor) was away so the guy probably did the job himself or sent it somewhere else.  Anyway - not going to waste any more time on it.

I’ve had many excellent recommendations for the Workshop in Crofton Park and this is where I shall be taking my alterations from now on.

Please can you tell us where this place was, so we can avoid it.

Regardless of whether their usual tailor was away, they should be compensating you for bad workmanship done when you had paid them.

Surely it is not a matter of opinion whether or not the legs are of equal length? They can be easily measured with a tape, surely?

I can understand why you would not want to spend more time on it, but if they think they have got away with it, they will not take more care in the future and other people may have similar experiences.

But then I'm the annoying sort of person who would pursue something like this till I got compensation!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...